Cyclist down Tokai Road 5th Feb

cadenceblur

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I for one feel that the law should change that if someone is killed in a hit and run, the charge of culpable homocide should change to murder.  The reasoning is that by leaving the scene of the accident you refuse the victim the chance of survival by not phone an ambulance and assisting him.

As you said catching them is a problem but if you have one or two successfull convictions with propper sentences the word will spreak quickly.  Rather sit with a lesser sentence than wilth a full murder sentence.

Ja and it just seems as if neither the motorists or law enforcement is even interested in following the law and police don't seemed bothered enforcing it.

They need to have a look at what is working where in the country and try and bring it in everywhere..what are the stats in other major cities, is it the same everywhere or do some cities have fewer incidents and what are they doing differently.

So many questions..

I would stick my head out, that'll be a first for me, and say that UNTIL the law is changed to include driver liability not much will change.

As things stand in SA today, if a motorist hits a cyclist the court has to PROVE the motorist was at fault.

With driver liability, as it exists in some European countries with phenomenally low cyclist accident rates, the driver has to PROVE the CYCLIST was at fault. A lot harder to do than to create doubt about one's own conduct.

To get a culpable homicide conviction in SA for a motor vehicle / cyclist death, as in the UK, is almost impossible. So it does not matter what the charge is. No one is going away for it.

I can think of 4 cases in the past 20 years where a motorist has done time for killing a cyclist.

Apathy is a terrible thing.

When the Dr got killed at Soneike, we were all up in arms. The perp got apprehended after a few weeks, and we were baying for his blood. The court case got postponed a few times, and now nobody knows when next he is going to appear in court, or did the case just die a slow and quiet death, with at worst a small fine imposed on the perp, or even more probable, the case against him got dropped/withdrawn. Everybody has forgotten about this now, and nobody is keeping tabs on the progression of the case.

I say the PPA with it's financial clout (OUR MONEY) should appoint someone to stay ontop of these cases, and hound the Investigators / prosecution to ensure the case does not die a natural death.

And this is the way of SA, postpone, postpone, postpone until interest drops, then withdraw or drop charges. 

Apathy is a terrible thing.

When the Dr got killed at Soneike, we were all up in arms. The perp got apprehended after a few weeks, and we were baying for his blood. The court case got postponed a few times, and now nobody knows when next he is going to appear in court, or did the case just die a slow and quiet death, with at worst a small fine imposed on the perp, or even more probable, the case against him got dropped/withdrawn. Everybody has forgotten about this now, and nobody is keeping tabs on the progression of the case.

I say the PPA with it's financial clout (OUR MONEY) should appoint someone to stay ontop of these cases, and hound the Investigators / prosecution to ensure the case does not die a natural death.

And this is the way of SA, postpone, postpone, postpone until interest drops, then withdraw or drop charges. 

Been saying the above for years.

And that the victims are not forgotten!

I would stick my head out, that'll be a first for me, and say that UNTIL the law is changed to include driver liability not much will change.

As things stand in SA today, if a motorist hits a cyclist the court has to PROVE the motorist was at fault.

With driver liability, as it exists in some European countries with phenomenally low cyclist accident rates, the driver has to PROVE the CYCLIST was at fault. A lot harder to do than to create doubt about one's own conduct.

To get a culpable homicide conviction in SA for a motor vehicle / cyclist death, as in the UK, is almost impossible. So it does not matter what the charge is. No one is going away for it.

I can think of 4 cases in the past 20 years where a motorist has done time for killing a cyclist.

Absolutely and until that has changed we can wave all the road safety banners in the world and nothing is going to change.

For some irony, try figure out how much legal background there has been in the PPA executive over the years....

Gerrie Nel has some free time on his hands 

As a very old rider (35 years cycling) an a rider who uses that road at least 4 times per week. Post like this are very scary.

They currently doing road works on that road (not sure which direction the cyclist was going) but at times as a cyclist currently you end up in the middle of the road.

Saw a pizza delivery motor cyclist also down there a few week ago. Considering where his helmet was relative to the accident I assume he did not make it.

Yes I heard he was killed unfortunately. 

Yesterday riding along towards the Kommetjie/Black Hill intersection from Masi some D000000000SS was more interested in his phone than the road as usual. He was angling towards the pavement. As I rode past I hit his bonnet with my hand. I FULLY expected to become a hood ornament for the next 5km.

Motorists are a BIG problem. most of them pay NO ATTENTION AT ALL to the road.

As i said elsewhere almost had a big white jeep swipe me even though I was off the road and riding towards him - he just failed to take the bend into account and almost left the road into me - Another time while driving , I saw what looked like an Uber driver who steered completely off the road to the left up an embankment and when he corrected steered into the oncoming lane. A biker on his left would have been hit and an oncoming car may have had a problem too... Standards are dropping.

I ran out of toes and fingers to count number of people looking down at, I assume, cell phones.  Tomorrow I might set a GoPro up on my dash. It was around 1 in 4 drivers. Just not acceptable.

This is frightening, I have noticed this trend more and more on the roads. Just 2 days ago I stopped at a robot and after a while noticed in the 3 cars around me all 3 drivers were busy typing on their cells. If you take the effort to look at the drivers around you it is very common to see people typing/reading on their phones. (thats not even counting those talking on their phones)

I have no idea how we are going to reverse this trend as we are becoming more and more attached to our cells.

As i said elsewhere almost had a big white jeep swipe me even though I was off the road and riding towards him - he just failed to take the bend into account and almost left the road into me - Another time while driving , I saw what looked like an Uber driver who steered completely off the road to the left up an embankment and when he corrected steered into the oncoming lane. A biker on his left would have been hit and an oncoming car may have had a problem too... Standards are dropping.

I thought the constant feedback on Uber would improve the general drivers ability. 

We had a guy stall about 8 times, clip a curb and could not drive in a straight line. 

I have no idea how we are going to reverse this trend as we are becoming more and more attached to our cells.

I DO :thumbup:

its an amazing concept that's seems to be beyond the grasp of cape town traffic or our scruffy metro.

Its goes like this ....police car switches on lights and siren and PULLS OVER whatever dumbass is texting swerving or generally driving like a tool and writes them a ticket (which is an automatic summons to court if not paid and then means a warrant of arrest) at the same time police officer checks car license roadworthy  and drivers license ID outstanding tickets etc etc etc ......(you guys all know this stuff)

but in cape town almost all our road policing is done from a safe distance on a chair, behind a speed camera ,behind a bush which achieves absolutely nothing (unlicenced drivers with unlicenced cars and out of date addresses don't even pay fines that are not sent registered mail and no one delivers summonses anymore etc etc etc (you guys know this stuff)

so as we all know this stuff why oh why is it so difficult for the traffic manager or whatever overpaid deskjob entity is in charge of this stuff to figure it out ....public outrage and polite letters of concern do nothing ..you have to ARREST a LOT of people and put the fear on drivers...  and then things will change ....

wont actually happen but I think it would help (my 3 cents)

be safe out there brothers and sisters :thumbup:

Archived