First Look: Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon 6Fattie

Bike Hub Features

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The maxxis minion dhf is EXO TR casing? Not enough?

if it's rolling at your desired pressure, then yeah. There's the level above that, which is Double Down. Effectively a DH Lite casing. 

Next tyres I get are definitely going to be either Super Gravity casing (schwobble) or the DD's. It's just not worth playing around with flimsy tyres. 

This bike makes no sense at all.

I have the 2016 version of this bike, and I can tell you, it makes a hell of allot of sense!

The bigger tyres don't feel slow or cumbersome. It does allow you to pick very poor lines with no consequences, and is all around a heck of allot of fun. 

I do however have a normal 29er wheelset too, which I just swop around depending on the type of riding I am doing. For fun days I use the 6Fatties, for longer days in the saddle I use the 29ers. The difference in wheels make a huge difference to the characteristics of the bike.

The conclusion I have come to is that 27.5+ will never be on the top step of the podium in any category (probably won't even compete), but it is here to stay because of the fun factor. The fact that you can interchange with normal 29er wheels means that you don't need two different bikes, rather just two wheelsets. I am very happy about this because I now have a very nicely specced bike I can use for multiple purposes, rather than 2 average specced bikes.

EDIT: The only thing I hate about my bike, is the fact that it comes with rims of 29mm internal diameter. I really feel that at the price point of the Expert Carbon I should be getting a rim with an internal diameter of 38mm or more...

Edited by Grease_Monkey

I've ridden one. And I didn't think much of it at all. The roll and bounce in the tire isn't worth the extra grip IMO.

Having said that I see a lot of them on the trails and the guys that have them rave about them. Maybe my tire pressures were off.

According to a few reviews the plus tyres are VERY pressure sensitive. Just 2psi can be the difference between bouncy and too soft. I have yet to try a set.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

According to a few reviews the plus tyres are VERY pressure sensitive. Just 2psi can be the difference between bouncy and too soft. I have yet to try a set.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yup, your best friend with plus tyres is a digital tyre pressure guage. I checked pressure before each and every ride - If I didn't then I either had too much roll and burping, or too much bounce on the other side. Took me a couple rides to find the perfect pressure, and it is so dependent on your tyres, rim width, weight, travel on the bike, etc etc.

I like mine on the more pressurized side coz I am heavy - settled on 14psi front and 17psi rear.

I have ridden the Scott version of this, and I can tell you that plus sized tyre dual suspension bikes are hell of a lot of fun!

Around the Spruit I am twice as fast on these as on my Epic and my smile is twice as big.

This will probably be on my Xmas list this year!

Plus size tires on a dual suss makes all the sense in the world.

Grip grip and more grip... I am waiting for the Silverback version of this. I rode the demo version and was blown away by the control I had going down the loose rocky stuff. It cornered like a scale electric car on the bermy flow trails..... 

It is a bucket of fun on 2 wheels

The grip you get with the fattie tyres is amazing giving you lots more confidence on the technical trails.

Can totally relate to this comment. Rode the Genius 720 Plus at the Scott Demo event past weekend and those big tyres really gives you way more confidence on technical sections. Plus, the longer travel combined with the fat tyres gives you literally a soft ride throughout.

Grip grip and more grip...   

It is a bucket of fun on 2 wheels

what he said!

I've only had mine for 2 weeks now so it's all still new to me, but it flippen flies down hills eating up pretty anything you can throw at it and it climbs a mountain goat

These comments make me laugh: 

Fad this

Un-asked question that

Blah Blah 

Don't like it?? Don't buy it, its cool, really. Ride your bike, have fun, its lekker! 

BUT, don't knock it till you've had a proper go on a plus bike! I'm talking, pressures right, fit right etc! These things rail like nobodies business, I rip my little Fuse all over Thaba blue budget fork and all! 

Closest i 've come to this bike is Carbon rigid fat bike and even by those standards this Spez looks like tons of fun !!

IF you are not seriously in with a chance to be Top 10 don't buy A bike for speed buy it for enjoyment and fun :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Lil piece of life advice :whistling:

These comments make me laugh: 

Fad this

Un-asked question that

Blah Blah 

Don't like it?? Don't buy it, its cool, really. Ride your bike, have fun, its lekker! 

BUT, don't knock it till you've had a proper go on a plus bike! I'm talking, pressures right, fit right etc! These things rail like nobodies business, I rip my little Fuse all over Thaba blue budget fork and al

Closest i 've come to this bike is Carbon rigid fat bike and even by those standards this Spez looks like tons of fun !!

IF you are not seriously in with a chance to be Top 10 don't buy A bike for speed buy it for enjoyment and fun :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Lil piece of life advice :whistling:

Okay so if you in the top 50% buy one and come in the bottom 10%? 

I love the 27.5 plus bikes. In December I got rid of my Spez Epic SWORKS and got a Ellsworth Epiphany Convert. The bike comes standard with 27.5 plus wheels and can also be ridden with 29 er wheels. It uses boost hubs.

My immidiate thought was to get 29 er wheels, but I decided to give the plus wheels a chance. What a revelation. I am faster on almost anything I ride with the exception of tar and dirt roads. The wheels are DT Swiss with 40mm internal width, I do think that they make a huge difference.

The bike comes with Fox front (130mm) and back (120mm). Ellsworth suspension is legend.

But the best thing is that I enjoy riding my bike even more than ever. I have more confidence, more speed and more fun.

Sure I will get the 29 er wheels eventually for races like J2C, but most days I will ride my US wheels.