Anyone using Zwift?

Zwift takes gradient / drafting etc into account so the distance is higher on most routes, more so on the flat routes.

You can adjust the wheel circumference on your Garmin for the trainer to try and get close, but I won't stress about this.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Zwift takes gradient / drafting etc into account so the distance is higher on most routes, more so on the flat routes.

You can adjust the wheel circumference on your Garmin for the trainer to try and get close, but I won't stress about this.

Thanks... total elevation on the ride was 240m according to Zwift so it must mainly be due to the wheel circumference as mentioned

How many? And what is the recovery between sprints.

One of Hunter Allen’s programs has 15s, 20s and 30s sprints (max effort) on 3 different workouts. 15 sets over 45 minutes sounds easy. That gives 2.5 minutes recovery between each one, but it feels like 1 minute recovery.

30 second sprints with 5 min break in-between, 4 of those. It may seem like a lot, but let's see tonight.

Thanks... total elevation on the ride was 240m according to Zwift so it must mainly be due to the wheel circumference as mentioned

No, not really. Your Garmin does not know what is going on in the game. Your elevation gain on your Garmin is 0m, basically it just counts how many times your wheel spins.

In Zwift you have uphills, where it calculates a slower speed, downhills where it calculates a higher speed, drafting that will also increase your speed, road surface (on gravel slower with road bike) and then also power-ups that throw in bonus conditions. 

No matter how hard you try, your Garmin will never match your Zwift results.

Edited by JA-Q001

No, not really. Your Garmin does not know what is going on in the game. Your elevation gain on your Garmin is 0m, basically it just counts how many times your wheel spins.

In Zwift you have uphills, where it calculates a slower speed, downhills where it calculates a higher speed, drafting that will also increase your speed, road surface (on gravel slower with road bike) and then also power-ups that throw in bonus conditions. 

No matter how hard you try, your Garmin will never match your Zwift results.

Your best chance will probably be to have the Zwift Trainer Difficulty set to 100%... which will make uphills 1:1, but I think you will still not have the same wheelspeed on downhills, which is where the problem comes in.

Don't know why this matters though. TSS is the main thing to track for fitness purposes, not Distance or Average speed.

How many? And what is the recovery between sprints.

One of Hunter Allen’s programs has 15s, 20s and 30s sprints (max effort) on 3 different workouts. 15 sets over 45 minutes sounds easy. That gives 2.5 minutes recovery between each one, but it feels like 1 minute recovery.

If we plan to "attack," either by dropping friends on a hill during a group ride or going for victory in a road race, your anaerobic power needs to be strong. This session helps build your attacking power level for a solid punch. Short efforts all under 1min will make you feel the burn.

Attacking a group in a race or holding onto a fast peloton in Watopia calls for high anaerobic power. Today we hit some high peak efforts at the start–by the end, you will be fighting to keep the power high.

This session is broken up into two sections. After the warm-up, we complete 4x 30sec high powered maximal anaerobic efforts aiming for 170% of your FTP. To allow you to hit each effort with optimal anaerobic power, we have 5min full recovery between each.

At the end of the workout, we move into 1min build efforts. These are high power and high force efforts that will also be heart pumping. The recovery time gradually shortens– by the end, we'll have maxed out all energy pathways, forcing us to rely on our aerobic system.

Your best chance will probably be to have the Zwift Trainer Difficulty set to 100%... which will make uphills 1:1, but I think you will still not have the same wheelspeed on downhills, which is where the problem comes in.

Don't know why this matters though. TSS is the main thing to track for fitness purposes, not Distance or Average speed.

Thanks - I agree on the fitness bit fully.  Was just concerned why there was such a discrepancy but this has now been clarified by everyone  :thumbup:

Why can’t Strava be more clever regarding Equipment tracking. I’ve always used their feature to track usage of parts on different bikes. But now with Zwift it thinks my chain and front chainrings are wearing the same as my Conti tyres and cassette while the cassette on my tacx is different and the wheels aren’t even on my bike.... dammit !!

Sorry - this is a duplicate of a post in another thread that I posted this morning - but I think I might get more help here.... Struggling with ZWIFT on my Mac - is this happening to anyone else?? 

Hi all, 

Looking for some advice here please.  I am trying to use Zwift on my Mac.  Most recently, almost every second day, I am getting an "Internet Connection error - ZLM04".  It ONLY happens on my Mac - I have uninstalled and reinstalled, checked the internet connection, changed the Wifi that the mac connects to.  If I try to connect on the same wifi through my Android phone or Apple - no issues.  

Please can someone give me some troubleshooting advice.  I am about to throw the Mac, or the Zwift out the window as I can't keep fighting with tech at 6:00am just to get a ride in   :blink:

Thanking you all!

Sorry - this is a duplicate of a post in another thread that I posted this morning - but I think I might get more help here.... Struggling with ZWIFT on my Mac - is this happening to anyone else?? 

Hi all, 

Looking for some advice here please.  I am trying to use Zwift on my Mac.  Most recently, almost every second day, I am getting an "Internet Connection error - ZLM04".  It ONLY happens on my Mac - I have uninstalled and reinstalled, checked the internet connection, changed the Wifi that the mac connects to.  If I try to connect on the same wifi through my Android phone or Apple - no issues.  

Please can someone give me some troubleshooting advice.  I am about to throw the Mac, or the Zwift out the window as I can't keep fighting with tech at 6:00am just to get a ride in   :blink:

Thanking you all!

I'm not a Mac user and can't directly assist but I'd suggest that you purchase a USB to Ethernet device (something like this) and then run an ethernet cable to your router and plug it in there. 

Call me old fashioned but I'd rather have a working and stable connection  

Well still no reply so I've started with the ZA Run and the ZA Tri workouts.

The first Tri workout was quite interesting - all low cadence stuff - and step downs so 65 rpm, 60 rpm, 55 rpm x3.  Will have to see how the rest work out, but the two races at the end are a 40km TT and a 10km run which is going to be interesting to do!

F-me.  ZA Tri workout #2.  Looked like a breeze.  It most certainly wasn't.  Probably the hardest ZA workout I have done so far.....

Over/unders - 70.3 intensity/Ironman intensity - 16min repeats x 4

Hi all, 

Thanking you all!

not all built-in wifi antennae are the same, but what should happen is that your activity proceeds, but all the other avatars drop out, so essentially you're riding all alone in the chosen world.

i suspect your issue is something else - your best hope is the actual zwift forums or their support.

Had a weird failure last night. While racing, the power indication/cadence and HR just froze at one value. I attempted to pair the trainer and hr monitor again, but still remained frozen. Only fix was to switch off my trainer and restart it. Then paired again and I could continue the race (4 minutes lost in total).

First time this happened. Tacx flux S running zwift on Ipad.

Had a weird failure last night. While racing, the power indication/cadence and HR just froze at one value. I attempted to pair the trainer and hr monitor again, but still remained frozen. Only fix was to switch off my trainer and restart it. Then paired again and I could continue the race (4 minutes lost in total).

First time this happened. Tacx flux S running zwift on Ipad.

Strange if you say HR froze as well. Reboot of the trainer would only break the power and cadence. Thinking Bluetooth must have been the issue. But crazy frustrating I know!!

F-me.  ZA Tri workout #2.  Looked like a breeze.  It most certainly wasn't.  Probably the hardest ZA workout I have done so far.....

Over/unders - 70.3 intensity/Ironman intensity - 16min repeats x 4

That was again okay for me. 3 looked sooo nice on paper. FTP 2 min, 30 sec break, x4... x4. But it accumulates! Not that I was fresh going into it...