Tubeless: Hopeless at this point

BaGearA

won't work. There's no way of identifying where the leak is if it's seeping between the tape and rim, as there's a whole body of space between the 2 walls of the rim. Only way that works is in identifying the source of a leak on the tyre itself. 

That''s what I said demmit  :devil:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Checked this morning , tyre has not dropped a single PSI .

The hunt for proper rim tape will continue ....maybe i'll just leave it as is  :ph34r:

With as much trouble as you've had, I think that might be a good decision ;)

Just a small tip for guys wanting to save  money. I normally use gorilla tape if I can but finding it here can become a problem. if you need a quick fix or want to save some bucks get yourself the silver ducktape, its really cheap and you can split the roll in half. It works out at about 20bucks a roll and you can buy it from any pick and pay or spar.

Checked this morning , tyre has not dropped a single PSI .

The hunt for proper rim tape will continue ....maybe i'll just leave it as is  :ph34r:

I share your pain. I also struggled last week and it was WW3 at my house when the f@cking sealant didn't want to seal.  :devil:

A flat tyre always cause a few fuses to be blown and lots of toys to be thrown.  :clap:

I put in new valves recently (the ones with the round rubber) when I screwed the lock rings on they didn't have that nice squishy/ rubbery feeling of the conical rubber part bedding into the rim hole. It turns out that the base of the valve stem has a slight flare in the metal part where it joins to the rubber cone. This was not allowing the valve to pull up fully into the rim and was thus not sealing properly as the part of the valve that was seated on the rim was mostly metal with a thin layer of rubber.

The solution was to ream out the rim hole about 1mm wider which allowed the rubber of the valve to settle deeper into the hole and then when I tightened the lock ring it pulled up nice and snug.

The new valves looked exactly like the round ones posted earlier in the thread.

Slight change of topic. I am having a problem with my valves.

They are not letting air pass through. I struggle to get air through even with a track pump. My method to top up sealant is to remove the core and top up through the valve. Could this be causing the core to clog up with sealant?

If so what can I use to clear it out?

They are not letting air pass through. I struggle to get air through even with a track pump. My method to top up sealant is to remove the core and top up through the valve. Could this be causing the core to clog up with sealant?

I use an old spoke ... often have that issue. I also do the removal of core to top up so perhaps we are causing our own pooh so to speak ;)

I almost wrote this exact topic about 2 months ago. When tubeless first came out and conversions strips were the de facto i compared it to having a domestic worker clean your house/washing. Flippen awesome help, but when it goes pear shaped it's a major stuff up.

Tubeless rim (Stans 26 Alpine) and tubeless (Maxxis monorail i think) had been on the wheel for 2 years maybe so was just topping up. Tore my frikken hair out because the air kept seeping slowly out the valve hole. no matter what.

Took me a while to start all over again and found that there was a slight nick in the wheel. The valve hole is the easiest point of exit, but even if you seal that up with glue/rubber etc, then it will just come out one of the spoke holes. which you can't get to because of the profile/double wall.

alpine_800x800.jpg

What did i do? Well i got new rim tape, new sealant, cleaned alles etc etc. 

Then eventually i just a put a tube in, because it was the wife's bike and she wasn't going to be riding it much anyway.

BUT I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE!!

I have a similar issue in that I cannot unscrew the core to add in sealant. I have tried but didn't;t want to damage anything so just left it and now all I do is deflate, unhook a small section of the tire from the rim and top up, then inflate back up and all good.

Not going to work for you if you can't inflate the tire. Probably there is a back up of dried sealant in the valve causing the blockage.

I almost wrote this exact topic about 2 months ago. When tubeless first came out and conversions strips were the de facto i compared it to having a domestic worker clean your house/washing. Flippen awesome help, but when it goes pear shaped it's a major stuff up.

Tubeless rim (Stans 26 Alpine) and tubeless (Maxxis monorail i think) had been on the wheel for 2 years maybe so was just topping up. Tore my frikken hair out because the air kept seeping slowly out the valve hole. no matter what.

Took me a while to start all over again and found that there was a slight nick in the wheel. The valve hole is the easiest point of exit, but even if you seal that up with glue/rubber etc, then it will just come out one of the spoke holes. which you can't get to because of the profile/double wall.

alpine_800x800.jpg

What did i do? Well i got new rim tape, new sealant, cleaned alles etc etc. 

Then eventually i just a put a tube in, because it was the wife's bike and she wasn't going to be riding it much anyway.

BUT I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE!!

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

I have a similar issue in that I cannot unscrew the core to add in sealant. I have tried but didn't;t want to damage anything so just left it and now all I do is deflate, unhook a small section of the tire from the rim and top up, then inflate back up and all good.

Not going to work for you if you can't inflate the tire. Probably there is a back up of dried sealant in the valve causing the blockage.

Get your hands on a valve core tool, which is used to remove the valve core.

Remove the core and get rid of all the dried up gunk and you should be sorted.

I hoped the days of tubeless schlepp were gone. I can remember watching the Stans instructional video countless times with messy hands, and that fat f@#er got it right every bloody time - using a floorpump. I wanted to punch him in the belly with my stans covered messy hands. Wait for the pop...I'll show you a pop!

I find another way to help seat a tubeless tyre is to take an old tyre you have in the garage, anyone doesn't even have to be the same wheel size or tubeless ready. go outside and moer it against the wall about 10 times. This way you take out your frustration on a useless piece of rubber and not your lovely true wheel.

On the topic of seeding the tyre to the rim - a little trick that I just learned.  Put some shaving cream between the tyre and rim.  A bit messy but definitely helps to get the tyre to seed on the rim!

Maybe everyone already knows this one and I'm just slow... ;)

Get your hands on a valve core tool, which is used to remove the valve core.

Remove the core and get rid of all the dried up gunk and you should be sorted.

Always keep a few spare valve cores with your tools, take them out of your road tubes before disposing of them responsibly.

Archived