Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

Was having my bike set up session with the owner of the local Giant store an we got chatting bout business and life in general as one does. He tells me ebikes are becoming a big part of his business as the population ages and people explore the benefits of being healthy and leading healthy lifestyles. I foten see Ebikes while out on the downs link generally ridden by older folk and that's superb. If it gets ppl out of the house and into nature and with health benfits at the same time then 2 thumbs up.

The owner was telling me about an 83 year old guy, who in his day was a top amateur cyclist in the UK who now runs out of puff on this training rides of 50 miles or so, answer was an e bike. (road) . how can we possibly have an issue with ppl exploring cycling?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So we wait for a lady who we passed on the cycle lane while she was putting on her rain jacket.

Side note ... it was a cold, wet and nasty head wind home for us yesterday.

Now in our group was a mixed assortment of riders .... we wait and we wait for her, then she starts riding and we notice she is on a Giant e-bike....all good .... next thing she takes off around the group and leaves us behind like no ones business.

Moral of the story, next time we will not wait for an e-bike.

Did she know she was riding with you or was this one of your lickin the saddle moments...?

Did she know she was riding with you or was this one of your lickin the saddle moments...?

Nah .... never felt the need to lick an e-bikes saddle ... shocking I know!

In my minds eye I see these vehicles in fleeting glances in my rearview mirror - it's tailgating me and a somewhat corpulent man with high blood pressure and the rosy blotches of too much alcohol and restaurant food on his cheeks can't wait to roar past me and brake heavily at the traffic calming circle 300 meters down the road. 

50% chance he just  pumps it over the circle without even turning the wheel.

Names for the next gen of these vehicles?

The Ford Narcissis

The Toyota Pillage

The Chevrolet Deforester?

apart from Jeep's proclivity for naming their vehicles after conquered native American tribes (American military their biggest client, surprise surprise surprise) ....

I see Kulharvy is riding ebikes world champs tomorrow at Mont-Sainte-Anne. Guess I would also ride an ebike if it was sponsored bike.

And Hatherly is on the start list too. Number one ranked, if I understand the list correctly. Does the winner get a rainbow jersey? Been a few years since Minnaar last won us one of those.  ;)

And Hatherly is on the start list too. Number one ranked, if I understand the list correctly. Does the winner get a rainbow jersey? Been a few years since Minnaar last won us one of those.  ;)

I am a big fan of Hatherly, hope he wins. He would only be allowed to wear the jersey in ebike races, so not too often unfortunately.

In my minds eye I see these vehicles in fleeting glances in my rearview mirror - it's tailgating me and a somewhat corpulent man with high blood pressure and the rosy blotches of too much alcohol and restaurant food on his cheeks can't wait to roar past me and brake heavily at the traffic calming circle 300 meters down the road.

50% chance he just pumps it over the circle without even turning the wheel.

Names for the next gen of these vehicles?

The Ford Narcissis

The Toyota Pillage

The Chevrolet Deforester?

apart from Jeep's proclivity for naming their vehicles after conquered native American tribes (American military their biggest client, surprise surprise surprise) ....

Or just someone that likes a nice looking (subjective), fastish, comfortable, practical car?

Bakkies give a level of practicality nothing else on the road does, and if you have enough money you can buy one that drives like a sedan and looks good too (again subjective).

I don't drive a Raptor, but I would if I could afford one.

(Same description of the above person I have seen in expensive sedans)

Edited by Grease_Monkey

True story - I might drive one too if I could afford it - overall though I'm  through with spending money on cars - they're like computer printers - a grudge purchase, prone to break down, bad for the environment, full of traffic and paper jams, aggravating ....

Or just someone that likes a nice looking (subjective), fastish, comfortable, practical car?

Bakkies give a level of practicality nothing else on the road does, and if you have enough money you can buy one that drives like a sedan and looks good too (again subjective).

I was waiting for you to arrive ????

Surprised this embarrassing proof that e-bikes don't belong on an MX track either, didn't make it to this thread...