Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got ridden off the trail at Eselfontein stage race last weekend by two electrics so I'm pretty miffed about e-bikes. Keep them off the trail at an event. No place for them.

really? Was that not the marshals?

*can you do a ride report on an e bike ? I mean does it count as a ride, while you may have finished .. it was assisted*

Hat, coat, glass of vino, door ....

After that post I think 'Turncoat, class of Vino, door...' is more apt, sir. And Mr Vinokourov was know for being an upstanding servant of fair play... :whistling:

The Roc D' Azur MTB event held in France and shown on SS recently have a separate race for ebikes. According to the commentator bike specialty stores claim 80% of their customer inquiries are for ebikes. 

http://www.rocazur.com/en/races/electric

In other news - it has been reported that 80% of the current population has been classified as "overweight".

I have nothing against e-bikes but this Sunday on the Amashova, i was suffering up tollgate bridge and this e-bike come merrily along - rider still looking fresh. Rider was young and looked in good shape but he was still on an e-bike.  

still have nothing against e-bikes but damn i was irritated.

I have nothing against e-bikes but this Sunday on the Amashova, i was suffering up tollgate bridge and this e-bike come merrily along - rider still looking fresh. Rider was young and looked in good shape but he was still on an e-bike.

still have nothing against e-bikes but damn i was irritated.

The ego is a funny thing...

I commute into Copenhagen city center 3 times a week and whenever someoneone on a bike (e or other) tries to pass me it's GAME ON! Bearing in mind I ride a 15kg "dutch bike" commuter. It's dumb as hell but I can't stop myself.

I think I'm a racist.

then there's this guy.... 

but I suspect, the real challenge was staying upright and STILL managing all those descents.

Though he could have used a chairlift to get up each time

I finally broke down and bought a e-bike. Man was I wrong about them. It was fast and fun and I smashed every KOM I tried for. People yelled at me a bit but now I realise they're just jealous of my expensive bike. This IS the way of the future. Hell I sweated so little I reckon I could use the same chamois again tomorrow!

post-2412-0-33630500-1509868706_thumb.jpg

we had one as a demo for my wife this weekend and it was great. Her heart rate stats were similar to a normal ride (hence she definitely still had to work) but I never had to wait for her. In fact she made me work extra hard on the hills to keep up. So good for my training also. I think they rock, we can now enjoy more rides together.

Hi All

I enjoy the idea of eBikes on the mountain etc. Have ridden one and it was awesome, so easy to go fast :-), however yesterday I participated in a race and there were three eBike entrants (I think).

So... eBikes are great and all but to let them participate in a race with everyone else is ridiculous, yeah I know they are not timed against the normal blokes but hell what a mood breaker it was when you are working your ass off and they just sprint pass you as though it's nothing at all.  I know that this was not only my own opinion at the time as everyone else in the group was complaining, saying they are just show-offs etc.

Not trolling or being a hater but I don't think they belong in race events. Penny for your thoughts?

Edited by Uvine