Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

I almost cracked a rib laughing so hard last weekend, a MAMIL e-bike rider(no older than 45) pulls into the carpark off the spruit and announces at the top of his voice: "40km, f** that is far, I am buggered, its time for a well deserved beer..."

Promptly starts loading his S-Works turbo Levo onto the bike rack.

Now 40km on the spruit is not taxing and I have ridden a Turbo levo it is fast and easy to ride, I nearly used it to lead out a 40km mtb race instead of using my Honda 250, that's how good it is.

If you are on an e-bike you are welcome to ride all trails in my opinion, but you lose all traction to complain about being tired...

Ahhh. I remember when there was the same hate for 29ers. Now we all have them.

A few years ago I visit the GRTP outside Sedgefield. I go about my business and have a lekker ride. I get to the parking lot and overhear some riders discussing “the guy on his Spesh and the big German SUV”. “All the gear and no idea” was mentioned. Of course they were talking about me. I never recalled seeing them on the trail or impeding them in any way. I decided to be friendly and ended up chatting with them about their bikes and where they were from. At the end they asked me about my steed and I pointed to my car and bike. Needless to say they were quite embarrassed. Oh, and a quick scan on Strava showed that they were nowhere near as hot as they claimed to be on the trails.

Let the e-biker be. He was out there doing his thing and you were doing yours. If he was tired after what is in your books easy terrain, then its good that he is on his ebike as a normal bike 40km is clearly too demanding for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just spent some time in the US, Canada (ok Vancouver) and Germany and the range and number of people on every sort of bicycle from commuting to touring and training) is staggering, well, compared to SA. The majority in Germany anyway don't wear helmets and ebikes proliferate - from 999 to 5 000Euro. They must be coming.

We have incentives over here from the government for people to use ebikes to commute.On a 3000 euro bike you get about 1000 euros back in taxes and discounts.

A few years ago I visit the GRTP outside Sedgefield. I go about my business and have a lekker ride. I get to the parking lot and overhear some riders discussing “the guy on his Spesh and the big German SUV”. “All the gear and no idea” was mentioned. Of course they were talking about me. I never recalled seeing them on the trail or impeding them in any way. I decided to be friendly and ended up chatting with them about their bikes and where they were from. At the end they asked me about my steed and I pointed to my car and bike. Needless to say they were quite embarrassed. Oh, and a quick scan on Strava showed that they were nowhere near as hot as they claimed to be on the trails.

Let the e-biker be. He was out there doing his thing and you were doing yours. If he was tired after what is in your books easy terrain, then its good that he is on his ebike as a normal bike 40km is clearly too demanding for him.

.......... no we don't ...... 650b for Life :P

So easy to forget the WIDE variety of riders out there, and here on the Hub ....

MANY are in their prime, and a 100km ride is just another practice run.

A friend did the full Ironman in PE, two weeks later they did a 160km ride "for fun" .... for many others that 160km would the high point of their year.

Then there are those for whom 20km is an achievement.  Or just getting up some steep hill ....

For now I am happy doing my short distances ... under my own steam, gradually building my knees and legs .... though I am shocked at how much I lost during the 3 months of winter !!

As hard as it is on the ego ..... Saturday at the start of the trail a gent came past on the exact same bike that I ride ..... his legs are clearly in MUCH better shape !!  We spoke for two seconds, then he was gone up the hill .....

to the young-uns .... ENJOY your strength while it lasts !  :thumbup:

For now I am happy sweating away on my bicycle ..... want to see just how far I get before the e-bike "has" to be bought.

ridden both?

Both have motors, ergo, motorbikes.  The source of the fuel, electric or petrol is irrelevant.  As soon as there is a degree of energy capture, storage and then motorisation, it is no longer a bicycle.

The thing that makes bicycling the way it is is the directness of human effort to propulsion, having a battery/ fuel tank to store energy and a motor to supplement direct human effort makes it a different game altogether.

Nice e-bike, when do we see it on the trails?

We won't - it was from 2013/2014 if memory serves. A failed experiment that nearly sank Cannondale. It was a miserable failure from start to finish and cost 'dale around $20,000,000!

Both have motors, ergo, motorbikes.  The source of the fuel, electric or petrol is irrelevant.  As soon as there is a degree of energy capture, storage and then motorisation, it is no longer a bicycle.

The thing that makes bicycling the way it is is the directness of human effort to propulsion, having a battery/ fuel tank to store energy and a motor to supplement direct human effort makes it a different game altogether.

This has been discussed plenty - I agree with you.

Me feeling is that e-bike was coined by manufacturers to "fool" people into thinking of them as "enhanced bicycles" rather than motorbikes.

doesn't answer my question.

Anyway...

Your opinion (and that of the 2 posts above) and you're entitled to it.

But..... 

They're super ..SUPER... fun.

I get an incredible workout on mine,that I'm fortunate AF to have.

You should really just try one one day...

doesn't answer my question.

Anyway...

Your opinion (and that of the 2 posts above) and you're entitled to it.

But.....

They're super ..SUPER... fun.

I get an incredible workout on mine,that I'm fortunate AF to have.

You should really just try one one day...

Of course it's fun - you can go twice as fast for the same effort!

I think general consensus and logic have won this debate - cool to use them on the trails or wherever you like - not cool to use them in races.