Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

To be fair, that’s within your Enduro microcosm

Yeah, but on tygerberg trails, Table Mountain and tokai...

Plus, most of the e-bikes on sale could be called trail / enduro bikes. Normally 120mm - 150mm machines. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be the reason I would buy one. Just to get back up faster so I can do more down.

Likewise.

Instead of not riding enough, I ride a lot. It makes me pretty tired. Even before the opportunity of the weekend's long trail ride arrives, I've usually put in two or three rides. The tired legs often have me turning back for home while I yearn for more shreddie. Places like Jonkershoek destroy tired legs.

So in last night's dream but practical bike selection discussion, the trail bike was throw out to be replaced by *shock and horror* a trail ebike. The simple reason, it'd be more fun! Of course, the makeup of said bike collection changes hourly  ;)

I suppose the hard men and women would say that I'm being lazy. I should interval harder and base mile slower. So when I eventually hit a taper week, then on that special weekend, I'll be strong enough to satisfy my trail riding desires.  :rolleyes:

I think the bias against them here has its roots in the masochism of the local riding species, Marathonicus Carbonexterra . This species looks down on anything that isn't ultra light, carbon and 29er and thrives on "suffer scores". The same applies to some extent in the USA. In Europe, it is common to access the mountain via an assisted means and then enjoy riding down, for fun. This explains why eBikes are so popular in that region. They have been having fun like this for decades. Here, having a fun ride is not the main agenda...

Okay three categories:

• Poor okes have to sit on the back of a bakkie to shuttle them up the mountain
  • Rich okes hit the E-bikes
  • Ultra rich okes are on the ski-lifts in Morzine

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create easy times. Easy times create weak men. Weak men create e-bikes.

http://fullsus.co.za/how-old-do-you-have-to-be-to-own-an-e-bike/

....Hell knows what I’m going to when I’m middle-aged (66 to 79) or elderly (80 to 99)! Both the supermarket and my wife have banned me from shopping there (or anywhere). I sulked saying that I had so much fun and what must I do for fun now? So, she bought me an E-Bike as compensation. HOW OLD DO YOU HAVE TO BE TO OWN AN E-BIKE? 18 to 80. You’ll have lots of fun. As opposed to XC – that’s just hard work!

http://fullsus.co.za/e-impressions-why-they-make-sense/

E-MTB’s are for everyone. I could list all the reasons, uses and people profiles for owning an e-MTB. But to keep it concise: if you enjoy mountain biking and you have the money, you ‘qualify’ for an e-MTB. I suppose all you need is an open mind and an open wallet. Sometimes the former is more difficult than the latter. But do your research. Don’t buy a ‘cheap’ e-MTB, it will come back to bite you and your wallet. Look at the information below. This will help you make an informed decision.

Edited by Abdoujaparov

....Hell knows what I’m going to when I’m middle-aged (66 to 79) or elderly (80 to 99)! Both the supermarket and my wife have banned me from shopping there (or anywhere). I sulked saying that I had so much fun and what must I do for fun now? So, she bought me an E-Bike as compensation. HOW OLD DO YOU HAVE TO BE TO OWN AN E-BIKE? 18 to 80. You’ll have lots of fun. As opposed to XC – that’s just hard work!

E-MTB’s are for everyone. I could list all the reasons, uses and people profiles for owning an e-MTB. But to keep it concise: if you enjoy mountain biking and you have the money, you ‘qualify’ for an e-MTB. I suppose all you need is an open mind and an open wallet. Sometimes the former is more difficult than the latter. But do your research. Don’t buy a ‘cheap’ e-MTB, it will come back to bite you and your wallet. Look at the information below. This will help you make an informed decision.

Are you telling us that it is somehow news that a man that earns his living selling e-bikes, among other things, thinks it's a good idea for people to buy one?

Well I never...

Likewise.

Instead of not riding enough, I ride a lot. It makes me pretty tired. Even before the opportunity of the weekend's long trail ride arrives, I've usually put in two or three rides. The tired legs often have me turning back for home while I yearn for more shreddie. Places like Jonkershoek destroy tired legs.

So in last night's dream but practical bike selection discussion, the trail bike was throw out to be replaced by *shock and horror* a trail ebike. The simple reason, it'd be more fun! Of course, the makeup of said bike collection changes hourly  ;)

I suppose the hard men and women would say that I'm being lazy. I should interval harder and base mile slower. So when I eventually hit a taper week, then on that special weekend, I'll be strong enough to satisfy my trail riding desires.  :rolleyes:

Woes :P

You are now quoting a guy with more very high end e-bikes on their showroom floor than "normal" mountain bikes ... not to mention reasonably priced normal mountain bikes.

All well and said, use your ebikes to shred the trails and have fun.... but don't bring them to races!! Get back on your lightweight carbon bike for that !!

Then everyone will be happy !!

Spot on... if everyone that rides and e-bike sticks to this it is win win win.

Woes :P

You are now quoting a guy with more very high end e-bikes on their showroom floor than "normal" mountain bikes ... not to mention reasonably priced normal mountain bikes.

Ahhhhh

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have talked myself into wanting an eBike now. That Spaz Kenevo would be high on the list.

Are they available in SA? I've only ever seen the Levos here... If I were to get an e-bike that would be top of my list too. Some 2.8" Butcher tyres and coil suspension front and rear mmmmm :)