Cape Town Cycle Tour agrees to Women's only Invitational start group starting in Glencairn

News bot

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the press releases have been really poor at explaining the reason. 

Ladies need to race ladies without male groups getting in the way. 

I think this year we will have the best ladies race in 40 years. A break away could even stay away! 

Women's racing at its purest is when they're alone in a bunch together

Great plan

Let's see how it goes

Hell, I might even take the not so smart phone along and stream the last 30 minutes or so. All depends if we can hit a data enabled zone around 8am. Imagine cruising Misty Cliffs watching the Elite Ladies attacking on Chappies and Suikerbossie. 

I'm really trying to find the positive of being the stoker on a racing tandem.

Anyone know why the notice was so last-minute?

The same reason the PPA and CSA would reach agreement on sanctioning in the last week leading up to the event.

Bunk up. Brothel? Or is it Piss up. Brewery?

Hell, I might even take the not so smart phone along and stream the last 30 minutes or so. All depends if we can hit a data enabled zone around 8am. Imagine cruising Misty Cliffs watching the Elite Ladies attacking on Chappies and Suikerbossie.

I'm really trying to find the positive of being the stoker on a racing tandem.

I've never been on a tandem

Maybe super glue a tablet on his boom-boom ????????‍♂️

The same reason the PPA and CSA would reach agreement on sanctioning in the last week leading up to the event.

Bunk up. Brothel? Or is it Piss up. Brewery?

Ai the bitter couple

If they can only work it out in the interest of the kid (cycling)

This may have to do with the sprint crashes/bunch crashes and last years sprint getting mixed up with the tandems

They have been struggling for years to get the combination right - from starting with Vets or Sub Vets or Masters, or on their own between mens' groups and alphabet soup.

Every year had a new problem or controversy ranging from crashes at the finish to allegations of men pacing women from their club or team.

Every year there were complaints from the racing women and moans from the armchair experts - there was no winning formula.

I think this is the best idea yet. I hope it works as well as they hope.

Lets see how it unfolds on the day.

After considering the arguments (mostly from carbon29er and Pure Savage) I now admit that this is a reasonable option. Several loose ends remain. The current SA Champ is u/23 so it will be imperative that the u/23 women are never made to start seperate. Also the timing of the announcement is awkward - some ladies I know well chose not to go due to the previous setup (one is a serious podium contender). All considered I hope it makes for faster/ aggresive racing and not a situation where everyone is just waiting for someone to do the hard graft.

After considering the arguments (mostly from carbon29er and Pure Savage) I now admit that this is a reasonable option. Several loose ends remain. The current SA Champ is u/23 so it will be imperative that the u/23 women are never made to start seperate. Also the timing of the announcement is awkward - some ladies I know well chose not to go due to the previous setup (one is a serious podium contender). All considered I hope it makes for faster/ aggresive racing and not a situation where everyone is just waiting for someone to do the hard graft.

It could be interresting if there is a break up Smits Winkel.

What was the circumstance of the late notification

Any know?

Cost most likely... they played with the idea and then got told it's going to cost a bit extra so it was canned... after some convincing either they coughed up or cost was negotiated.

Anyway sucks for ladies who are climbers and decided not to go down as racing with men always ends up in crashes and a sprint...

I like the idea but not the late notice...

Cost most likely... they played with the idea and then got told it's going to cost a bit extra so it was canned... after some convincing either they coughed up or cost was negotiated.

Anyway sucks for ladies who are climbers and decided not to go down as racing with men always ends up in crashes and a sprint...

I like the idea but not the late notice...

Okay

Yeah the late notification is crappy

????

But u/23 and Elites all start together and winner overall will be first lady across the line. Or am I misreading it?

Am sure there will be quite a few post race reports by the ladies and teams... will be interesting to hear... and perhaps we may get the facts with regard to the late notice and change

Am sure there will be quite a few post race reports by the ladies and teams... will be interesting to hear... and perhaps we may get the facts with regard to the late notice and change

Yes as mine is pure speculation ;)