Cape Town Cycle Tour agrees to Women's only Invitational start group starting in Glencairn

News bot

you obviously didn't read what I was saying carefully...

The guys talked about developing ladies cycling to be competitive overseas...hence I suggested they either race or this should be a fun ride...

On your crits of 90 min...I hope that gets you to Europe soonest !

Again this was my 2 cents...

No racing in SA prepares or gets you to Europe. 

I think you are expecting a lot from a single weekend in March. See it for what it is, exposure for the Pro teams for their sponsors. All the racing takes place as TOGH during the week, Sunday is to get TV time and in newspapers. 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read on Facebook that the junior ladies will still ride in the seeded bunches somewhere. Do you guys know where the junior men ride?

That's the problem with hasty decisions, you don't think of everything. If the information above is correct the elite ladies will race 80km while junior ladies will ride 110km?

Edit: Just wondering and not saying the elite ladies race should not go ahead from Glencairn.

Edited by andydude

The only lady I have seen that is not happy is Anriette Schoeman. Everyone else is pretty happy about it.

What's her concern Pure Savage ?

I read on Facebook that the junior ladies will still ride in the seeded bunches somewhere. Do you guys know where the junior men ride?

That's the problem with hasty decisions, you don't think of everything. If the information above is correct the elite ladies will race 80km while junior ladies will ride 110km?

Edit: Just wondering and not saying the elite ladies race should not go ahead from Glencairn.

Depending on who rocks up they normally ride elite or @. Depending on which UCI riders arrive. When Cav rode the juniors were not allowed to ride with him due to his license. 

Depending on who rocks up they normally ride elite or @. Depending on which UCI riders arrive. When Cav rode the juniors were not allowed to ride with him due to his license. 

Reason for not being allowed to ride with him? Safety? (help the uneducated)

Cool thanks.

And any thoughts on the junior ladies still racing the full distance in the seeded groups?

PS - I would rather see ladies race ladies for 2 hours than watch a fun riders bunch with ladies in it for 3 hours. In the past, if a lady attacked on Suikerbosie, the other ladies knew 100% that they dont have to cover as the 1A/1B bunch and tandems will reel her in for them. Now, the ladies will have to actually race.

Thanks for explaining, now I also understand what the fuss is all about.

Reason for not being allowed to ride with him? Safety? (help the uneducated)

UCI regulations regarding who can ride with WT license riders.

Cool thanks.

And any thoughts on the junior ladies still racing the full distance in the seeded groups?

Honestly, probably just unfortunate. 

Last year there were only 2 of them in the elite ladies start. There are probably on 3 lady juniors from last year that could race together, maybe not worth the effort?

The only lady I have seen that is not happy is Anriette Schoeman. Everyone else is pretty happy about it. 

Except the closet misogynists on the hub...

Actually scrap closet.

Thanks for explaining, now I also understand what the fuss is all about.

And they knew half the ladies would be wiped out before the finish line!

Hence some ladies are upset to race 'alone' as they now won't get back...

Except the closet misogynists on the hub...

Actually scrap closet.

I think the press releases have been really poor at explaining the reason. 

Ladies need to race ladies without male groups getting in the way. 

I think this year we will have the best ladies race in 40 years. A break away could even stay away! 

my 2 cents:

- Notice wayyyy to short

- Womens only group - great idea

- Shorter distance - not a good idea if this is a RACE

-I would suggest make this whole thing a "fun ride" for everyone...no one will prove anything from winning the cycle tour..its no where near a REAL challenge for the racing teams nor is it "important" in the eyes of the UCI...its just a fun ride.

I would SEED the ladies better and have them race between 2 groups that will cause the lease amount of havoc.

I always believed in cape town should have the real racers race their own race I called this the Super Argus (think my post was taken off) where by the top seeded say 5 000 riders race a longer distance... then the rest would race say a 90km (celebrating the old race) this way they can have unlimited entries into the shorter race and making more money (that's what the aim is right) ?

you obviously didn't read what I was saying carefully...

The guys talked about developing ladies cycling to be competitive overseas...hence I suggested they either race or this should be a fun ride...

On your crits of 90 min...I hope that gets you to Europe soonest !

Again this was my 2 cents...

Between two groups? This has never been tried? Last year the ladies hit the sprint with a bunch of tandems amongst them. Try that for a fun ride.

It's really hard to read stuff when it is so poorly thought out and then actually posted as a serious post.

Lucky you only have 2 cents as I'd hate to read your opinion on this if you had a whole rondt to spare. We'd probably have to call the honey sucker.

Now I wonder why the mods had the temerity to remove one of your posts? Maybe the honey sucker was busy.