Statement regarding cancellation of the 40th Cape Town Cycle Tour from David Bellairs

News bot

There is no doubt that the primary reason for canceling the tour today was the threat emerging out of the protest action, and I'm sure they would have moved closer to the detour which still ran close to the kommetjie area.

actually heard one of the Masiphumele community leaders on the radio at 6am whilst driving to the start. They had stood down for the day, was trying to score some moral high ground as they had sort of won, but were still hoping to make more of a fuss.

For me the cost of going to Cape Town from JHB is in the region of R 25k. Flights for me and the mrs, car hire accommodation,etc.

The cost of the Argus is R550, there's no negotiating that price. The rest of the stuff you optionally pay well above what is necessary.

Dude, I am not wealthy,

If you must know, my bike is worth somewhere around 140k. Pinarello,Di2, SRM power meter etc. Busy planning to buy a F10, so soon my bike will be worth around 200k. I also have three other bikes worth around 100k. 

These two statements are contradictory, in the minds of most reasonable people.

My contention is that the start chute is in the wrong place. The organisers know this as 2009 experienced the same problems.

Can't agree any more with this. This is the ONE thing they have in their control, and must firmly take the blame for all those youtube clips of okes kitesurfing with their bikes. Whilst none of us called them on this, I'm really surprised there is no contingency to check in at chutes, and go around the civic centre for a neutral start ahead of it.

Easy decision. Organizers still make a huge profit without the event even taking place. So they win, everyone else loses.

Nope. this is a longterm play. Reputational damage yesterday will affect loads of long term relationships, planning and trust. Of all the aspects in yesterdays decision, finance would not even have been on the table.

I do think OMTOM will be sabotaged, maybe CTCT next year as well. Until people are heard. Until we address the WHY and not just react.

Gameplan - protest were from Masi, where the OMTOM route doesn't actually go past. it does go past IY. So the guys who protested yesterday will seriously need to up their game for a repeat come Easter. The guys who didn't protest yesterday are currently receiving a helluva lot of goodwill and would be a bit shortsighted to sabotage the OMTOM.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point, but I think they really wanted to give it every chance possible of proceeding and only after the start of the race did they realise it will not be possible.

As for move/cancel - I am disappointed that they use the term "cancelled". I would much prefer if they say it is moved or postponed by a year. You can't control the external factors so if push comes to shove as it did, just move it on by a year.

My comment was not aimed at the organiser but rather fellow Hubbers who have perfect 20/20 hindsight vision

For those who still believe that the organisers cannot afford to carry the entries over to next year for those who still wish to participate, please have a look at their last treasurer's report : http://www.pedalpower.org.za/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Treasurers-reportfinal.docx 

Let me just reiterate, I agree with the no refund policy. I am committed to do the tour and would like to do so at the next opportunity.

Which met sites do you use? Mine was pretty clear. 12 m/s in CT which can easily be amplified to near gale by venturi effects of buildings at the start.

So after 40 years of experience surely you would have an alternative start point as part of your plan when the wind shows up??? 

This first post sounds rather similar to a long stream of repetitive posts by someone with around 2220 posts, or am I being paranoid?  #Rule1.4 #justsaying

Won't happen ever, Roux'

It'll set a precedent.

Point taken.

This was an unprecedented incident to begin with, and they did make that very clear. So I think whatever actions are taken afterwards as a result thereof should also be seen as unprecedented. 

Obviously the choice is theirs and I respect that. I have no doubt the next CTCT will also be sold out and be a big success. Personally I would not pay for another entry until I am given a reasonable opportunity to redeem the ones I had.

Edited by Rouxenator

This was an unprecedented incident to begin with, and they did make that very clear. So I think whatever actions are taken afterwards as a result thereof should also be seen as unprecedented.

Obviously the choice is theirs and I respect that. I have no doubt the next CTCT will also be sold out and be a big success. Personally I would not pay for another entry until I am given a reasonable opportunity to redeem the ones I had.

I get you're point.

Most likely:

They'll ensure to be guided by their terms and conditions and run a relatively risk-free show.

Edited by 'Dale

I must say I'm feeling a lot stronger this morning than I thought I'd be after 12 March 2017. All that training and tapering and I feel like a million bucks. My legs have none of the heaviness they've had for the last couple of weeks - I bounded up the steps .... 

I'm actually going to do my own little Argus weekend after next - I'll go through Wynberg and Tokai to avoid the M3 after Edinburgh drive --- no wheel sucking though - won't be the same.

Irrespective of the conditions, politics, events on the day and decisions taken..

I have lost trust in the Brand.

150 km's ridden for R1500 entry fee over 3 events....not very Ayoba and that is the least of my gripe. 

I agree, sh%te happens, but two misses and one hit over 3 years... bad investment. 

It's a lottery to enter and and even bigger lottery whether you will ride or not, given the last 3 outings. 

Keep the money. I am not a lesser mortal for not doing the event in future.

I  am not keen to arrive on a whim hoping to get a start nor a half-loaf 47km time trial event. A Cancellation is outright K@K.

Nah, the trust is no more. 

Too much water gone under the bridge.

Still, it was a good decision to stop the event yesterday. Disappointing, but the right one. 

Not sure if this has been posted here before : https://www.facebook.com/geoff.hookins/posts/10212270774191292 

That was really well written, thanks for sharing. 

I did a stint in the UK and was amazed to find that just about everyone I worked with had a charity that they helped. The fiercest competition I've ever seen was when they were trying to out-do each other with how much money they could raise for their respective charities.

I do get the feeling south africans are beginning to grow a collective conscience about the issues we have instead of pretending they are not there or accepting that it's their lot in life. We are a long way back but it's a good start. 

Irrespective of the conditions, politics, events on the day and decisions taken..

I have lost trust in the Brand.

Although I feel the same I'll definitely still do the CTCT MTB events. Travel cost is R0 since it's a nice little 10km warm up ride for me. :thumbup: Same goes for STCT, 1 tonner and Stellenbosch MTB. 

My wife decided to prove a point about mere mortals riding in this wind. She would have done her first yesterday. She went for a ride from Strand to Hels and back, stopping at M&B (where she was right now) on the way back.

She is a tough bugger. Have only been riding for 2 years, but already biting large chunks of the pie.

Edited by Moridin

I sincerely hope the City of Capetown mayoral committee take serious legal action against our striking brothers (assuming it is obviously an unprotected strike). Its about time that Unions/Politicians become liable for illegal disruptions...

Can seriously impact on the events success in years to come..

Edited by Gringo111