CT Cycle Tour: Suggestion to change to 1st weekend of April

buchanan

October also way too risky in CT. You could either have an early raging Black South-Easter or a winter storm with snow and the hectic North Wester that goes with it.

Also, too many people will be recovering from winter colds and flu.

Yeah,

The so-called August winds usually blows just as much in October. This last season it never stopped. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think rather than try and get the Organising Committee chasing their tails, how about we let them get on with dealing with the aftermath of yesterday's first ever cancellation of the event. They will need to put in some greater steps to safeguard the event than ever before, but need to engage with a host of role players to get that done!

For anyone still wondering about whether it was a good call to cancel the event imagine the following.

You are standing in the JOC (Joint Operations Centre). It's the day before the event. There's a fire still ablaze in Hout Bay but the Fire Dept has said that it is contained at this point and not on the direct route. There is concern about the increased volumes of traffic as supporters head towards Suikerbossie. Your risk assessment, shows it's a concern but the team agrees to press forward, keeping an eye on the situation.

The wind will be a serious safety factor for the second two thirds of the field! It's been predicted for days before and you have a handle on it. You've sent out a warning notice to entrants briefing them that if they are not comfortable riding in the wind, to rather reconsider lining up. You are liaising with EMS and getting people on the ground around your various hotspots ready for action at the inevitable places where the gusts will be a problem. You go to sleep thinking you should be able to manage the existing variables. 

Call wakes you up earlier than you expected. You get to the office to find out the Masi action has made the route inaccessible. After deliberation you devise a plan to reroute the course to avoid the Cape Point and Masi stretch. You keep pressing forward.

Then you receive reports that the fire is no longer contained and a new fire has broken out too. Now the JOC is buzzing with role players from all the major departments all wanting to prioritise their issue. EMS is saying the wind is more of a factor than was predicted. They need more access to spots along Chapman's Peak, to ensure they are as close as possible in the event of an almost inevitable emergency. The police are suggesting the protest action is likely to go mobile to ensure it gets camera time and want more presence at this location. Now the fire department is saying they may need to get across Suikerbossie to have vehicles participate in the fire extinguishing actions needed there!

If you still feel that this is an acceptable level of risk to put 35000 cyclists through, please stick your hand up. Just so we absolutely know you should never be considered for any organisational responsibilities.

The dates are locked into the calendar amongst the various events already hosted in the city.

Here's some wind and weather info for you...

http://www.weathersa.co.za/learning/climate-questions/39-what-are-the-temperature-rainfall-and-wind-extremes-in-sa

I think the CTCT should be held in October. It would mean guys doing the Epic and Iron Man don't have to have sleepless nights wondering about group crashes and shattered scapulas,

I doubt this comes into anyone's planning. If you so into your schmepic or ysterman campaign, then don't do the argus that year.

I think rather than try and get the Organising Committee chasing their tails, how about we let them get on with dealing with the aftermath of yesterday's first ever cancellation of the event. They will need to put in some greater steps to safeguard the event than ever before, but need to engage with a host of role players to get that done!

For anyone still wondering about whether it was a good call to cancel the event imagine the following.

You are standing in the JOC (Joint Operations Centre). It's the day before the event. There's a fire still ablaze in Hout Bay but the Fire Dept has said that it is contained at this point and not on the direct route. There is concern about the increased volumes of traffic as supporters head towards Suikerbossie. Your risk assessment, shows it's a concern but the team agrees to press forward, keeping an eye on the situation.

The wind will be a serious safety factor for the second two thirds of the field! It's been predicted for days before and you have a handle on it. You've sent out a warning notice to entrants briefing them that if they are not comfortable riding in the wind, to rather reconsider lining up. You are liaising with EMS and getting people on the ground around your various hotspots ready for action at the inevitable places where the gusts will be a problem. You go to sleep thinking you should be able to manage the existing variables. 

Call wakes you up earlier than you expected. You get to the office to find out the Masi action has made the route inaccessible. After deliberation you devise a plan to reroute the course to avoid the Cape Point and Masi stretch. You keep pressing forward.

Then you receive reports that the fire is no longer contained and a new fire has broken out too. Now the JOC is buzzing with role players from all the major departments all wanting to prioritise their issue. EMS is saying the wind is more of a factor than was predicted. They need more access to spots along Chapman's Peak, to ensure they are as close as possible in the event of an almost inevitable emergency. The police are suggesting the protest action is likely to go mobile to ensure it gets camera time and want more presence at this location. Now the fire department is saying they may need to get across Suikerbossie to have vehicles participate in the fire extinguishing actions needed there!

If you still feel that this is an acceptable level of risk to put 35000 cyclists through, please stick your hand up. Just so we absolutely know you should never be considered for any organisational responsibilities.

The dates are locked into the calendar amongst the various events already hosted in the city.

http://www.weathersa.co.za/learning/climate-questions/39-what-are-the-temperature-rainfall-and-wind-extremes-in-sa

just go away with your logic and common sense.

Excellent post tubehunter.

You are standing in the JOC (Joint Operations Centre). It's the day before the event. There's a fire still ablaze in Hout Bay but the Fire Dept has said that it is contained at this point and not on the direct route. There is concern about the increased volumes of traffic as supporters head towards Suikerbossie. Your risk assessment, shows it's a concern but the team agrees to press forward, keeping an eye on the situation.

The wind will be a serious safety factor for the second two thirds of the field! It's been predicted for days before and you have a handle on it. You've sent out a warning notice to entrants briefing them that if they are not comfortable riding in the wind, to rather reconsider lining up. You are liaising with EMS and getting people on the ground around your various hotspots ready for action at the inevitable places where the gusts will be a problem. You go to sleep thinking you should be able to manage the existing variables.

Then you receive reports that the fire is no longer contained and a new fire has broken out too. Now the JOC is buzzing with role players from all the major departments all wanting to prioritise their issue. EMS is saying the wind is more of a factor than was predicted. They need more access to spots along Chapman's Peak, to ensure they are as close as possible in the event of an almost inevitable emergency. The police are suggesting the protest action is likely to go mobile to ensure it gets camera time and want more presence at this location. Now the fire department is saying they may need to get across Suikerbossie to have vehicles participate in the fire extinguishing actions needed there!

Me giving suggestions on how to better the Cape Town Cycle Tour, is comparable to someone who knows nothing about my trade giving me suggestions on how to improve my work! 

We all saw the interviews with pro's and they guys on Blue Route (well, that's all I saw at least) but this above reminds me that it's not about the pros... It's about the countless thousands that make up the the vast numbers in the tour. Those were the ones most at risk from the winds all over the route, and make no mistake, there was going to be many fallers this time round in the wind

Kudo's Tubehunter for putting that into words

I think they should hold it on the second weekend on March.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn I thought I had a novel idea about having it on the 2nd Sunday in March.

You beat me to it.

You must live in CT??

THIS is Cape Town - frankly we can have 4 seasons in one day all year round.

Will they in future also cancel the race if it rains like it did in 1987? Because the risk to the majority of the field is just as great.

Just wondering out loud.  :whistling:

Mail just came out, the next CTCT is to be held 11 Mar 2018, and will be offering all participants who registered and collected their race numbers at the Cape Town Cycle Tour Expo between 9 and 11 March 2017 a preferential entry for the 2018 Cape Town Cycle Tour, before entries are made available to the general public. 

2 Oceans is in April. Next suggestion.

Move 2 Oceans back a month to March.

They won't mind running in the wind. What's the worst that can happen . . . . ;-)

Move 2 Oceans back a month to March.

They won't mind running in the wind. What's the worst that can happen . . . . ;-)

Good effort, but....

Too close to Peninsula Marathon in February and too early from Comrades for those runners to use it as a progressive build to that event.

I doubt this comes into anyone's planning. If you so into your schmepic or ysterman campaign, then don't do the argus that year.

It definitely does sir!

I think we should have this out over a family dinner once the kids are asleep and the in laws are tucked away!

As usual I agree with you with your essay. Nail/head done. Beers?

• 3 months later...

Mail just came out, the next CTCT is to be held 11 Mar 2018, and will be offering all participants who registered and collected their race numbers at the Cape Town Cycle Tour Expo between 9 and 11 March 2017 a preferential entry for the 2018 Cape Town Cycle Tour, before entries are made available to the general public. 

I really want to complete the CTCT but I am going to have to wait and see whether the 2018 edition goes ahead as planned before I enter because these protest are just going to escalate until the root of the problem is fixed.

post-27827-0-50321100-1499067133_thumb.jpg

Archived