Gravel Bikes - Should we stop and tell the industry now?

Iwan Kemp

2 hours ago, NeverNotRolling said:

Or drop bars so flared that it becomes normal handlebars.

Actually, you joke but I do find those standard gravel bike bars cannot be entirely adequate when riding a trail on a gravel bike (not this bike, which seems okay, I think because of the front shocks).

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, splat said:

They use that on their Checkpoint bikes

Many brands are putting short travel shocks on some of their range.
With dropper seatposts and with 2.35" tyre clearance...

And don't forget Niner's MCR.

So, @Iwan Kemp's first post this thread is more relevant than ever.

Man alive. I don't even run 2.35 on a mountain bike. But then I don't do a lot of slippery and mud type of riding. Mostly dry fast hardback with some loose gravel and sand. Now and again some wet stuff.

20 minutes ago, MudLark said:

Man alive. I don't even run 2.35 on a mountain bike. But then I don't do a lot of slippery and mud type of riding. Mostly dry fast hardback with some loose gravel and sand. Now and again some wet stuff.

I'm just going to bite my tongue but suffice to say its a gravel bike not a frikkin mountain bike ... you just have to shake your head my friend 🤨

4 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

I'm just going to bite my tongue but suffice to say its a gravel bike not a frikkin mountain bike ... you just have to shake your head my friend 🤨

I think here in SA we use our bikes differently to the guys with big country bikepacking.

Havine 2.35 tires on a fully loaded bike climbing up some fire roads and dodgy contour access roads is way better for traction, sand etc than a skinny tire.

So while we are obsessed with racing every single bike, sometimes building things for practicality and purpose over speed is an answer.

It isn't THE answer as bikes are bikes and everyone is different, but having those options makes the bike more sellable as it's more diverse.

The original Diverge that had a max 38mm clearance in the back is a thing of the past. 

My new gravel bike has 2.35 tires.......

image.jpeg.b21ef21312040f23f7295935f11ac7bc.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I think here in SA we use our bikes differently to the guys with big country bikepacking.

Havine 2.35 tires on a fully loaded bike climbing up some fire roads and dodgy contour access roads is way better for traction, sand etc than a skinny tire.

So while we are obsessed with racing every single bike, sometimes building things for practicality and purpose over speed is an answer.

It isn't THE answer as bikes are bikes and everyone is different, but having those options makes the bike more sellable as it's more diverse.

The original Diverge that had a max 38mm clearance in the back is a thing of the past. 

that is something else... looks compellingly interesting. two questions - what are the bumps like on those seemingly small diameter wheels and did the chainline work out OK with the seemingly short chainstays?

6 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

that is something else... looks compellingly interesting. two questions - what are the bumps like on those seemingly small diameter wheels and did the chainline work out OK with the seemingly short chainstays?

20" wheels.... Bumps aren't too bad actually. I've been riding 20" bikes for a while so I'm used to it I guess.

The bike is super fun. It has internal routing for a dropper so there is a temptation to get that sorted for whatever reason I can come up with.

The only big issue with the gearing/chain line is the front deraileur is too short for me to go small blade on the front and the bottom 5 gears ish as the chain drags over the base of it. 

I'm considering going 53/39 as opposed to the 50/34 which might then give me enough to clear.

The rest works really well.

2x11 hydro Shimano and tubeless 20x2.35 tires.

It's a hoot.

34 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

cant believe you took THIS opportunity here to post that awesome thing. Please go post it in the other gravel bike thread lol (what do you have and where did you get it).

And dont be so modest.....that is a proper bike...the frame alone costs more than some people here's cookie cutter mtb's lol. and we build wierd things becasue its fun...not because some contrived reason behind where en when and in what we ride

- because "f@#k you..I do what I want" always produces a cooler bike.

to everybody still wondering...its a Velo Orange - Neutrino mini velo.

Edited by MORNE