Gravel Bikes - Should we stop and tell the industry now?

Iwan Kemp

The use of gravel bikes have been on the rise. They are cool and quite fun depending on just how bad the terrain is. 

But though extended use riders have realised that a rigid (essentially) road / cx bike with adjusted geo is just not comfortable on some terrain and over longer rides. Hence the sudden increase of suspension forks being developed for them with some manufacturers even trying full suspension bikes.

Really now? Isn't it time to pause and admit that what they are trying to do is invent a bicycle that is not quite like a gravel bike in that it is comfortable to ride over rough terrain at speed and in great comfort and that such a bike has actually been around for a while in the form of a MTB!?

Next dev on a gravel bike will be a flat bar with some bar ends... Then even wider tyres. 

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pump those brakes, Iwan.

You want the gravel grinding hipsters to spill their Fair Trade, hand ground artisanal espressos into their waxed moustaches with such inflammatory statements?!

I'm all for riding what makes you happy, but I won't let the industry tell me that some drop-bar frankenroadbike is superior to a vanilla XC 29er across a stretch of rough gravel.

Edited by ØÐINSȪƝ

The use of gravel bikes have been on the rise. They are cool and quite fun depending on just how bad the terrain is. 

But though extended use riders have realised that a rigid (essentially) road / cx bike with adjusted geo is just not comfortable on some terrain and over longer rides. Hence the sudden increase of suspension forks being developed for them with some manufacturers even trying full suspension bikes.

Really now? Isn't it time to pause and admit that what they are trying to do is invent a bicycle that is not quite like a gravel bike in that it is comfortable to ride over rough terrain at speed and in great comfort and that such a bike has actually been around for a while in the form of a MTB!?

Next dev on a gravel bike will be a flat bar with some bar ends... Then even wider tyres. 

Careful now, you may have just cottoned on to the biggest conspiracy of the century: how products are in a vicious cycle of re-invention to make money!

Your point is valid for almost every niche of bicycle, and to expand any device in existence:

1. The difference between phones of make Apple remain the camera?!?
  2. The difference between cars of make BMW, Merc and Audi remains a renewed maintenance plan?!?
  3. I can go on

Coming back to your point, i happen to be one of those gravel grinders looking for that sweet spot, but have loathed to fit a Lauf or a Lefty to solve what is the biggest shortfall of these bikes on dirt. I did Karoo-2-Coast last year and enjoyed smashing most of the climbs and flat stuff, coming down ou-pad was a life threatening experience, i just couldn't hold on and use brakes at the same time. I would have killed for a front end suspension solution for that one shortfall.

This year I'm back at K2C, with a different tyre combo, running a softer 40c up front and the same 33c i ran for both last year at the back, tubeless of course.

So basically they ended up copying everyone else who are doing this to their mtb's 

#monsterCross bikes

well it depends...

Do we as the public want the bikes they make, or do they make the bikes we want?

...in this case, (AFAIK) it was a bunch of okes building up frankenbikes that got the industry to realise here is a new segment they can punt.

Hell I just upgraded to 9 speed on my roadbike, works like a charm!!

I present to you exhibit A

0097cd85-90e9-4c65-bfaa-5eac368c37f8l000

This is lacking something crucial... perhaps... mmm... what could it be? A dropper post?

I personally would fit a dropper post before suspension on a gravel grinder any day.

Drop bar MTB ftw :P