Ironman 2018 - PE

clivem

Just pulled the trigger and entered my first full IM!  Tried to check Windguru already, but no forecast available yet  :w00t:  :D

I want to go ride a loop of the bike course in December.  Is that road ok to ride without closure etc? 

Happy training. 23 weeks to go, which is 4 training blocks. 

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tier 1: R 5 950 (3 April 2017 - 4 November 2017)

Tier 2: R 6 525 (5 November 2017 - 7 March 2018)

Tier 3: R 7 500 (8 March 2018 - 1 April 2018)

What they do here in uk is a tier system but not based on date but based on number of tier 1tickets and tier 2 and 3. Once the tier one tickets are sold out the price goes up irrespective of when that happens. I don’t think they say how many of each tier there are so they are trying to get you to enter earlier and thus they make money off yr money. Bit of a scam I reckon but we still pay. IM is a marketers dream I tell you. Forget about all the MBA case studies, IM is the one that should be studied.

Just pulled the trigger and entered my first full IM! Tried to check Windguru already, but no forecast available yet :w00t: :D

I want to go ride a loop of the bike course in December. Is that road ok to ride without closure etc?

Yes, the road is not heavily used and there will be other guys doing it too. Just be cautious as there have been a couple of criminal incidents on the course with ppl training. Whenever I have trained in PE I have always found the vehicle drivers to be patient and give you a wide berth. Edited by IceCreamMan

I'm also in for the package...

After last year I have some unfinished business with EL, and then I will be attempting my first full

Cannot wait.

Training has been great so hoping for a good day out

I was tempted by it - its a good deal, but we've cancelled EL for another race the following week

I wanted to take it, but not available anymore. I'll have to pay for both separately.. Accommodation has been booked though, so cant back down now.

who entered with the package deal for EL as well as PE

I entered and purchased it as a package deal.

who entered with the package deal for EL as well as PE 

I did.  It's quite an attractive deal.

All you need to do with your F3 is search for the relevant sensors (PWR/CAD/SPD) and to confirm that they are for right wattbike that you are on, look at the large digit number at the very bottom centre of the LCD screen on the wattbike.  That is the bike sensors reference number.  Once found scroll to the matching number and connect.

In other news.. I got this to work this morning, its pretty easy. Power, speed, cadence its all been uploaded  :clap:

For the experienced Ironmen / Ironladies out there,

leading up to my first attempt at PE next year I have penciled in two Audax 200km cycle events , mid Feb & mid March, but how important is it to run a full marathon before April and if vital, when would you suggest is the best time to get one under your belt if you have never run a marathon before? Considering the amount of time off it will take for your body to recover IE loose training days?

For the experienced Ironmen / Ironladies out there,

leading up to my first attempt at PE next year I have penciled in two Audax 200km cycle events , mid Feb & mid March, but how important is it to run a full marathon before April and if vital, when would you suggest is the best time to get one under your belt if you have never run a marathon before? Considering the amount of time off it will take for your body to recover IE loose training days?

Great fricken question ! I've been thinking the exact same thing !

Thanks

Re Marathon beforehand, you don't need to, a lot will just do long runs usually 35kms or so.  As long as you have put the km's in during the training leading up to you will be able to push through to complete a marathon.  Most training plans do not have you going the full marathon distance 

Psychologically is a different matter and some will or may need to run a marathon to know they can do it.

Prior to my first full, I did run a marathon race as wanted to know I could :)