Ironman 2018 - PE

clivem

I have never run that far or done an IM but I would probably agree that you don't need to have run a full marathon beforehand. If you want to do one for the psychological benefit then I'd do it a few months before. That way you've done it and can then just do shorter runs to avoid injury and stay fit 

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ran a few only because we were training for comrades as well. Otherwise I don't think you need to do more than 32ish. There is so much time in Ironman you really are not under any time pressure to keep hammering along if you're taking strain.

Personally I would like to know I can do it, like I wanted to get close on the full cycle distance too - just to tick that box mentally.

Actually now that I'm looking properly, I only did Johnson Crane 42 and a few 30km's before IM, and that was end of Jan so 2 months was more than enough time to recover 100%.

Other long runs were after IM.

Actually now that I'm looking properly, I only did Johnson Crane 42 and a few 30km's before IM, and that was end of Jan so 2 months was more than enough time to recover 100%.

Other long runs were after IM.

Did my first Ironman without my longest run being the 32km Monster. I did however sweat bullets in the Ironman and pretty much walked the marathon in about 6:15 (I was however waaaaay too light on the run training and training overall). Thus, definitely possible to do. I plan to do the Comrades next year as well so also doing Johnson Crane in Jan as my qualifier with the more serious run training commencing after Ironman. Hopefully the cross training (ie swim, cycle, weight combined with run) will be enough to finish Comrades 

Re Marathon beforehand, you don't need to, a lot will just do long runs usually 35kms or so. As long as you have put the km's in during the training leading up to you will be able to push through to complete a marathon. Most training plans do not have you going the full marathon distance

Psychologically is a different matter and some will or may need to run a marathon to know they can do it.

Prior to my first full, I did run a marathon race as wanted to know I could :)

I agree 100%. I'm also doing my first Full IM in April, so I've been giving this a lot of thought too. Psychologically I decided I needed to prove it to myself that I could do it. This "brick wall" phenomenon at 32 km had me worried. Just finished the Soweto marathon on Sunday and can confirm that as long as you put in the time equivalent you should be fine- at least that was my case. I was up and about with my normal training within 48hrs. Edited by MarkW

I did Comrades on IM training in 2016 and my advice is simply : don't underestimate Comrades.  A bit of extra running for Comrades will help big time with IM cycling and running.  Well anyway, that's my plan of attack for these two monsters in 2018.

Did my first Ironman without my longest run being the 32km Monster. I did however sweat bullets in the Ironman and pretty much walked the marathon in about 6:15 (I was however waaaaay too light on the run training and training overall). Thus, definitely possible to do. I plan to do the Comrades next year as well so also doing Johnson Crane in Jan as my qualifier with the more serious run training commencing after Ironman. Hopefully the cross training (ie swim, cycle, weight combined with run) will be enough to finish Comrades 

I did Comrades on IM training in 2016 and my advice is simply : don't underestimate Comrades.  A bit of extra running for Comrades will help big time with IM cycling and running.  Well anyway, that's my plan of attack for these two monsters in 2018.

Thanks for the heads-up, definitely not underestimating it, I now it's going to be a tough one. I did Oceans this year so I have half an idea of how tough it will be

To echo Clivem, do not underestimate comrades, ironman training is not enough to get through comrades unless you're a freak or cut it pretty fine with the cutoff. I found the fitness was not an issue, but the time you spend on your feet is a totally different beast. 

I was training after a week after ironman (granted I went too cautiously) but I was man-down for 2 months after Comrades - it just drained me 

What takes it's toll is that the IM marathon has 148m of vertical ascent in 42km while Comrades down run has 1,144m vertical ascent in 91km.  So maybe 4 times more climbing.  And that's not taking the effect 1,600m of descent on the legs into account :eek:.  I was told afterwards to train for Comrades and you'll do IM, rather than trying to do Comrades on IM training.

Thanks for the heads-up, definitely not underestimating it, I now it's going to be a tough one. I did Oceans this year so I have half an idea of how tough it will be

Yeah spoke to my coach about this too.  He says not only is doing a full marathon before IM not necessary the risk of injury is just not worth it, so he does not recommend it. So my first full marathon will be in IM 2018.

Same with the bike he says we will only got up to 150km -1600km before IM.  

He says the big key is doing training blocks, 3days back to back for each sport spaced a couple weeks apart.  Getting your body used to performing on tired legs.

Running a marathon places huge strain on the body, don’t under estimate this. There is a very good reason the top marathoners only run select races a year and us amateurs should heed that. My first 2marathons were at IM events and I suffered but finished. I then decided to run a marathon for kicks and effects of it were disastrous and “hurt” me for about 2 months later feeling lethargic etc. I would recommend that if your goal is ironman not to run a marathon in the months leading up to it as it will affect your training.

The furthered I had ever run before my first IM was 32 kms on 3 occasions. The last 10 kays of IM you wing it and you so elated cos you goin to finish and life is good and you smiling it just happens.

I'm also in for the package...

After last year I have some unfinished business with EL, and then I will be attempting my first full

Cannot wait.

Training has been great so hoping for a good day out

my first full as well. might as well consider Durban as well then, apparently if you finish all three in one year they give you a special medal

For the experienced Ironmen / Ironladies out there,

leading up to my first attempt at PE next year I have penciled in two Audax 200km cycle events , mid Feb & mid March, but how important is it to run a full marathon before April and if vital, when would you suggest is the best time to get one under your belt if you have never run a marathon before? Considering the amount of time off it will take for your body to recover IE loose training days?

More or less the same question i asked a coach the other day. he was of the opinion that it is not required to do the full distance, but did advice do do about 2/3rd of the distance about 3 times (at a slow pace) before the event for your body to adapt (my question was maybe more asking him to go from 21km to the 42km and how your training should change)

my first full as well. might as well consider Durban as well then, apparently if you finish all three in one year they give you a special medal

Yep they do. Got one this year !!6697ae93f0ae8fbef69f75f6276ef1de.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You dont need to run a marathon before IM. I have done two and both times my longest run in training was 25km. I never felt that I lacked fitness or time on my legs when during the race.

As others have mentioned, running puts a lot of strain on your body so either you need to schedule more recovery time, or risk injury. Rather invest in spending more time on the bike.