Who knows why a chain gets lube on the outside?

carbon29er

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So based on the knowledge gleaned from the logical replies to my original question, which is the best type of lube to use on a dry tar use road bike?

Objective is to minimise transmission noise and maximise the longevity of the chain and reduce the residue on the outside of the chain and on the teeth and jockey wheels and reduce necessity to clean said residue from chain and components.

Type being main product ingredients rather than brand but as most brands claim some form of unique patented property, listing the brand and type might be beneficial.

The BEST is old sump oil.

It is also the cheapest

Let it stand for a few months and use the top half

Wipe excess off. By the way I think chainring and chain marks on the leg looks cool (and you can wipe it off your leg unlike tattoo)

Stry met my! - Sheldon says so so your post count is irrelevant.

Sump or any form of motor oil gravitates to the outside of the chain quicker than a senior ANC member to a corrupt tender so it doesn't meet the criteria.

The BEST is old sump oil.

It is also the cheapest

Let it stand for a few months and use the top half

Wipe excess off. By the way I think chainring and chain marks on the leg looks cool (and you can wipe it off your leg unlike tattoo)

Stry met my! - Sheldon says so so your post count is irrelevant.

Old sump oil is.... old, black for a reason and fugly

Did I mention it's for cheap skates

Support the economy and buy correctly specified lube

Happi weekend all

So based on the knowledge gleaned from the logical replies to my original question, which is the best type of lube to use on a dry tar use road bike?

Objective is to minimise transmission noise and maximise the longevity of the chain and reduce the residue on the outside of the chain and on the teeth and jockey wheels and reduce necessity to clean said residue from chain and components.

Type being main product ingredients rather than brand but as most brands claim some form of unique patented property, listing the brand and type might be beneficial.

slapped on some Finish Line Wet Lube last night

did the wipe down tech as previously noted

first commute in this morning and it felt like I was on a new drive train

just looked over my shoulder at the roadie SS bike and the chain is still nice and shiny on the outer plates

used wax based lubes as of late, and that bloody paste that forms is just a dog's breakfast....also does simply not "feel as good" to me on the drive train.

also a big fan of Purple Extreme, but can't find the bloody stuff anymore ... also more of an "oil" type lube.

In my opinion the lube on the chain is subject to very little centrifugal force, unlike tyre sealant.

Lube gets on the outside of the chain in 2 ways:

1. Moves from inner chain to cogs and chainrings then rubs onto outside links during shifting.
  2. To a lesser extent by capillary action.

1 beer down and I have my first theory...

When you cycle over a bump in the road the lube is displaced to the bottom of the link like a minuscule droplet. As you continue peddling the bottom of the link becomes the top and then you cycle over the next bump in the road. The lube droplet will then take the path of least resistance and slide down the outer part of the chain.

This all happens constantly and will then cause the lube will start building up on the outside of the chain.

Sump or any form of motor oil gravitates to the outside of the chain quicker than a senior ANC member to a corrupt tender so it doesn't meet the criteria.

True

It also takes the dirt to the outside of the chain

Chain lube is like intimate lube... you NEED it on the inside.... who cares if a little gets on the outside during the action .... clean it off when you are done if it bugs you... otherwise just wait for the next full wash....

Edit... this also applies to KY during your prostate exam... just thought I would mention that.... :)

Who knows why a chain gets lube on the outside?

I know! And now its Friday so now I can tell you too. It is simple:

The part of the chain that needs lubricating is the gap between the pin and the "bushing", or rather the pressed side plates which form the bushing in modern chains. (For details see http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html).

A properly lubricated chain always has an excess of lube. That excess is squeezed out of the chain as you ride. There are only two paths out from this gap.

- Between the centre of the pressed "bushings", and around the edges of the rollers. This lube gets picked up off the rollers by the sprockets. Most of it accumulates on the jocky wheels and chain rings.

- Between the plates of the inner and outer chain links which comes out of the gap on the OUTSIDE of the chain.

Of course I am talking about wax based lubricants. Oil goes everywhere it wants to, including the braking surfaces of your wheels. So if you use oil on your chain and your brakes work, either you have disk brakes or your chain is about to run out of lubricant.

The best lubricant is Squirt - according to an independent test lab in the USA: http://www.fitsportslab.co.za/squirt-fastest-drip-lube-ever-tested/

Not bad for a local South African product. Of course when you put enough of it on, it makes a real mess of your chain rings, jocky wheels and legs. That is a GOOD THING, it means it is doing it's job and your bicycle will GO FASTER!

Chain lube is like intimate lube... you NEED it on the inside.... who cares if a little gets on the outside during the action .... clean it off when you are done if it bugs you... otherwise just wait for the next full wash....

Edit... this also applies to KY during your prostate exam... just thought I would mention that.... :)

The only thing you doctors need to adhere to during a prostatory spelunking expedition is 'do no 'arm'. And Hippocrates probably only had lard on hand. So to speak.

The only thing you doctors need to adhere to during a prostatory spelunking expedition is 'do no 'arm'. And Hippocrates probably only had lard on hand. So to speak.

I don't think Hippocrates even knew what a prostate was... unless he was gay... which he might have been.... allegedly....

I don't think Hippocrates even knew what a prostate was... unless he was gay... which he might have been.... allegedly....

Nonsense, those Greeks knew much. The Odyssey itself is purely a metaphor for a prostate exam. All those side-trips into hell, wailing, and gnashing of teeth, blah, blah. And the less said about the 'Argonauts', the better. That is why til today the motto of the Greek navy is 'Never leave your buddies behind'.

On the subject of the prostate exam, you should always ask your doctor to use 2 fingers...... because a 2nd opinion is always a good idea.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Archived