Tshwane Classic

Vetplant

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely going to do this one again. Was lekker last year. Except for Tom Jenkins... Top of that hill was the closest I've ever been to throwing up on a bike 

You should have gone harder boet!!

Still looks like last year's design though... And the full road closure has a date stamp with 2017...

*the website I mean

Saw that to but site does refer to the new organisers

You should have gone harder boet!!

Any harder and I would have thrown up, which, if I'm being honest, is not my idea of a good time  :thumbup:

Any harder and I would have thrown up, which, if I'm being honest, is not my idea of a good time  :thumbup:

Nah, not so bad if you eat correctly.

A breakfast of muesli/Pro-Nutro and race food of bananas tastes the same 2nd time around... :whistling:  :whistling: :whistling:  

A breakfast of muesli/Pro-Nutro and race food of bananas tastes the same 2nd time around... :whistling:  :whistling: :whistling:  

Mmmm, lekker, about the same texture too

I'll keep that in mind for this year  :P

• 4 weeks later...

Got an email last night with a big write-up about the event, won't bore you with it all, but the following caught my eye:

“That is why we have created a route that starts and finishes at the Voortrekker Monument and goes past landmarks such as the Union Buildings, the Paul Kruger Statue, Freedom Park and Wonderboom Airport,”

Now, we never passed Wonderboom airport last year, is this a hint to a possible route change..?

So we drop the N4 section going to Pelindaba and back and instead go past Wonderboom Airport?

• 1 month later...

So, the route has been modified, what do you guys think?

It is almost as if these guys have been listening in on the talk on BikeHub...:

-Wonderboom no longer part of route

-Tom Jenkins remains

-Finish line brought forward to the top of the climb in Freedom Park, thus a climbers finish

I think I will book my ticket, interesting enough  :thumbup:

"98km Route Description: 

The race start is again in Eeufees Road at the entrance to the Voortrekker Monument. Access to the venue and parking have been improved and in the next few weeks detailed maps of access and parking plans will be published on the event site to ensure riders get to the start as seamlessly as possible.

Once through the start shoot the route heads under the N1 Freeway and makes a right turn onto Christiana De Wit for a steady 6km climb up to the right turn onto Wierda Road.

Once on Wierda Road the race goes over Old JHB Road and past Zwartkops Golf Course towards the R55 where at 17 km riders take a right turn onto the R55.
After passing Zwartkops Raceway on the left, riders head up to the left turn onto the M26 Main Road. This is the first change to last year’ s route.

The M26 is a long undulating stretch through an area of predominantly smallholdings and a few new developments.

At 36km riders take a right onto the R511 all the way to Hartbeespoort and the N4 connection.

At 54k the route pops over and onto the N4 Highway

For the next 20km its all open freeway on the N4 back towards the CBD. The wind can be a factor on this stretch and it is slightly uphill all the way, so make sure to keep a bit in the tank.

Once you join the short route at 75km you head straight to the left turn onto Steve Biko at 78km

Once onto Steve Biko it’s a short downhill before taking the sharp right onto Soutpansberg - be careful at this point as the surface is a bit loose

Soutpansberg Road presents the perfect time to regather and reset the mind because at 86km the route takes a right turn onto what is certainly the challenge of the day – TOM JENKINS!

The organisation feels Tom Jenkins really brings a great dynamic to the event and it’s honestly a feather in the cap of anyone who can say they have conquered the climb. Tom Jenkins is only about 1km in length but it takes massive effort to tame this beast.

Once at the top it’s downhill past the Union buildings and time to take in the view over the city.

Once through and out the main gate of the Union Buildings there’s a sharp left and immediate right into Johannes Ramagose Street heading past Tshwane House towards Paul Kruger Street.

Once riders have turned left onto Paul Kruger, take a moment to enjoy the array of amazing buildings, a trip around Church Square and the Town Hall.

Once off Paul Kruger the route veers left onto Kgosi Mampuru II, past the prison and onto Skietpoort Road.

The last 2km is a climb into Freedom Park and the finish has been brought forward and presents itself at the top of the climb towards Freedom Park.

Once through the finish riders freewheel down for 2km into the gates of the Voortrekker Monument and onto the finish village."

post-27827-0-96280200-1534399562_thumb.png

post-27827-0-35476000-1534399571_thumb.png

post-27827-0-24221000-1534399624_thumb.png

post-27827-0-96832200-1534399630_thumb.png

Nice route, voortreker climb not there I see. BTW who won the Trek bike up for grabs for entering on or before the 14th of this month? Or was it a sales gimmick

Not sure how I feel about them taking Wonderboom out. Was a lekker climb even though it destroyed the group I was in so I ended up riding the rest of the route on my ace.

Otherwise new route looks cool

So, the route has been modified, what do you guys think?

It is almost as if these guys have been listening in on the talk on BikeHub...:

-Wonderboom no longer part of route

-Tom Jenkins remains

-Finish line brought forward to the top of the climb in Freedom Park, thus a climbers finish

I think I will book my ticket, interesting enough  :thumbup:

"98km Route Description: 

The race start is again in Eeufees Road at the entrance to the Voortrekker Monument. Access to the venue and parking have been improved and in the next few weeks detailed maps of access and parking plans will be published on the event site to ensure riders get to the start as seamlessly as possible.

Once through the start shoot the route heads under the N1 Freeway and makes a right turn onto Christiana De Wit for a steady 6km climb up to the right turn onto Wierda Road.

Once on Wierda Road the race goes over Old JHB Road and past Zwartkops Golf Course towards the R55 where at 17 km riders take a right turn onto the R55.
After passing Zwartkops Raceway on the left, riders head up to the left turn onto the M26 Main Road. This is the first change to last year’ s route.

The M26 is a long undulating stretch through an area of predominantly smallholdings and a few new developments.

At 36km riders take a right onto the R511 all the way to Hartbeespoort and the N4 connection.

At 54k the route pops over and onto the N4 Highway

For the next 20km its all open freeway on the N4 back towards the CBD. The wind can be a factor on this stretch and it is slightly uphill all the way, so make sure to keep a bit in the tank.

Once you join the short route at 75km you head straight to the left turn onto Steve Biko at 78km

Once onto Steve Biko it’s a short downhill before taking the sharp right onto Soutpansberg - be careful at this point as the surface is a bit loose

Soutpansberg Road presents the perfect time to regather and reset the mind because at 86km the route takes a right turn onto what is certainly the challenge of the day – TOM JENKINS!

The organisation feels Tom Jenkins really brings a great dynamic to the event and it’s honestly a feather in the cap of anyone who can say they have conquered the climb. Tom Jenkins is only about 1km in length but it takes massive effort to tame this beast.

Once at the top it’s downhill past the Union buildings and time to take in the view over the city.

Once through and out the main gate of the Union Buildings there’s a sharp left and immediate right into Johannes Ramagose Street heading past Tshwane House towards Paul Kruger Street.

Once riders have turned left onto Paul Kruger, take a moment to enjoy the array of amazing buildings, a trip around Church Square and the Town Hall.

Once off Paul Kruger the route veers left onto Kgosi Mampuru II, past the prison and onto Skietpoort Road.

The last 2km is a climb into Freedom Park and the finish has been brought forward and presents itself at the top of the climb towards Freedom Park.

Once through the finish riders freewheel down for 2km into the gates of the Voortrekker Monument and onto the finish village."

That route profile for the 98km is that of the old route, going down and up the N4 to Harties and over Wonderboom nek.  The new route should have one less spike towards the end

Archived