Manual a Drop

AlanD

This past weekend rode at Hakahana and really enjoyed it. Crashed hard but eventually managed to ride the un-riddable (for me).

The drops scared the skin of me and realized I need to practice these but more so, my technique. I uploaded a few pics from the video I got which clearly shows bad off form the drop and was lucky to get a way with this attempt. I think the subsequent attempts were better.

As you can see from the pics, my front wheel drops immediately and this is bad and dangerous and a result of me not lightening the front wheel so that both wheels go off at the same time. This means I need to practice the manual and get that right.

Any tips for getting the manual dialed in? I have tried a few times but don't think I get far back enough and hopefully when I fit my 45mm stem, this will  help. Currently on a 60mm stem.

post-57045-0-50188300-1493187154_thumb.jpg

post-57045-0-48271300-1493187171_thumb.jpg

post-57045-0-95033900-1493187183_thumb.jpg

post-57045-0-78611500-1493187195_thumb.jpg

post-57045-0-80027500-1493187206_thumb.jpg

post-57045-0-56652200-1493187216_thumb.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am no expert, but I find that if I just push the bike forward in front of me , un-weighting the front of the bike, and move my weight a little bit backwards for balance ( almost like trying to make the bike float) works for me. Otherwise there is plenty of vids that will explain it properly to you.

NB. Also make sure you have the correct speed, too slow and you will definitely being buying atatoo

I have watched all the GMBN vids but wanted to get an idea if anyone had any tips that worked for them.

With pushing the bike forward, I found that rather hard to do as by the time I was thinking about doing it I was already over the edge. So are you centered on the bike and then just push forward with your arms or feet or both?

I have watched all the GMBN vids but wanted to get an idea if anyone had any tips that worked for them.

With pushing the bike forward, I found that rather hard to do as by the time I was thinking about doing it I was already over the edge. So are you centered on the bike and then just push forward with your arms or feet or both?

I went for a skills session and this was one of the things we were taught. Do yourself a favour and do the same. It's way better than learning from the internet.

Yes. You're falling into a trap I fall into as well. Concentrating on the drop itself, rather than what follows it. It's essentially EXACTLY the same as going off a pavement. No difference whatsoever.

And yes - centered, then move back (or push forward, it's the same thing) 

Faster you go, the less pronounced the movement needs to be... 

you're hesitating , you can probably ride that with just a little more speed.

Make sure you're committed and it will probably be much easier 

Not a pro, but fairly comfy with drops now so my 2 cents.

Approach with a fair amount of speed, if your technique fails, your speed can carry you further without the front wheel just dropping away so quickly.

Drop your heals and push your weight right over the back wheel (Thus pushing the bike out in front of you) so even if your front wheel does dip, you should be able to ride it out even if it's sketchy.

Try to use your body weight by shifting it all rearwards to pull the front wheel up instead of using your arms to pull towards your chest.

Once you get more comfy you'll actually just start pre-loading your sus before the drop and using a bit of a bunny hop to well, hop you off the drop instead of rolling/manualing off it.

Considering the angle of that landing, lifting the front is not that important, but rather keeping your weight back. 

On a flat landing you'd want to land with your rear wheel first (meaning front wheel above the horizontal), but on a sloped landing, the pronounced effect of a front wheel above the horizontal might be scarier to land.

Not a pro but what helps for me is, stay off the brakes at all times. When you brake the momentum tends to push you weight forward, pushing your front wheel into the ground and keep your speed. Learned this from Oom Rodge at haka.

Oh yes, keep your eyes on where you want to land and your head up.

go faster and prehop a drop like that you can actually go pretty far and get speed cause its sloped landing

what do i know i Huck everything

Archived