Pepper Spray - What works best??

CTJ

What a great way to instill a sense of goodwill in your fellow human being and get rid of all the prejudice in our beloved country

We have long gone past that point.

I will profile the sh!t out of someone any which way I please to ensure my own safety.

And if their feelings are hurt, it's not like I would care either

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From my experience the best Pepper spray is Sabre Red, made in the USA, has tear gas in addition to pepper spray and has UV dye if you need to ID the perp later.

Not much more expensive than other makes either, ammo/weapons shops often have it and its available on Takealot.

Yes and no.

Sabre Red is by far the best pepper spray (canister version) that is available anywhere in the world. Some of them do have the dye, but not all of them, and there is no tear gas in them.

For those in windy areas, there is also a Gel format which is less affected by wind, and for indoor use there is even a foam for those who are worried about airborne particles (asthma) etc.

*NOTE  - There are pro's and cons to each type.

Pro tip: capsaicin rating can also be misleading.

https://www.sabrered.com/formulations-heat-strength-and-law

Edited by The Ghost

Swat Ops peppersprey  tried and tested. The best is Fog pattern as you do not need to aim accurately just in general direction of the face..Works on most dogs too.

Direct stream only works on your eyes

Once you buy any self defense spray you need to test it to get familiarized with actuator and how works(best test it outside make sure wind blows from behind you and press for 1-2 sec). Then every 3-4 months to make sure there is pressure in it.

Tear gas is not legal in South Africa you need to have license to have it.

Best weapon is to be aware of your surrounding ,but if you can and have chance i would use it anytime.

Ps: nothing works 100% alwys have aback up plan.

Be safe out there and keep riding :thumbup:

We have long gone past that point.

I will profile the **** out of someone any which way I please to ensure my own safety.

And if their feelings are hurt, it's not like I would care either

There is a very big difference between profiling a suspicious looking person and pointing your weapon at said person before they've made any effort to attack or harm you.

I repeat... I think it is absolutely ridiculous.

Not to mention that, assuming the person is innocent and has no intention to harm you, it is highly prejudiced, judgemental, insulting & degrading.

If that's what you do, you have some issues to work through. I would suggest not ever leaving your house. Just beef up the security gates, electric fencing, armed response etc and throw away the keys. I hear Pick 'n Pay online shopping is the bomb.

Yes and no.

Sabre Red is by far the best pepper spray (canister version) that is available anywhere in the world. Some of them do have the dye, but not all of them, and there is no tear gas in them.

For those in windy areas, there is also a Gel format which is less affected by wind, and for indoor use there is even a foam for those who are worried about airborne particles (asthma) etc.

*NOTE - There are pro's and cons to each type.

Pro tip: capsaicin rating can also be misleading.

https://www.sabrered.com/formulations-heat-strength-and-law

That page lists their 3-in-1 product as having the additional tear gas and UV dye, the local SabreRed distributor states it on their website as if all their pepper sprays products contain all 3 factors which I can see they don't.

There is a very big difference between profiling a suspicious looking person and pointing your weapon at said person before they've made any effort to attack or harm you.

I repeat... I think it is absolutely ridiculous.

Not to mention that, assuming the person is innocent and has no intention to harm you, it is highly prejudiced, judgemental, insulting & degrading.

If that's what you do, you have some issues to work through. I would suggest not ever leaving your house. Just beef up the security gates, electric fencing, armed response etc and throw away the keys. I hear Pick 'n Pay online shopping is the bomb.

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings by what I said. I never said anything about pointing a weapon randomly at someone in the streets for no apparent reason. But profiling a dodgy looking dude and try to have some sort of response to a possible situation, why yes, yes I do that.

That page lists their 3-in-1 product as having the additional tear gas and UV dye, the local SabreRed distributor states it on their website as if all their pepper sprays products contain all 3 factors which I can see they don't.

Thanks. I'm just checking, but I don't think those products are available to civilians, I will report back when I have confirmation.

Can you send me a link and screen clip of the part on the local sight that states that all their products have it? I'll try and get them to sort it out.

Thanks. I'm just checking, but I don't think those products are available to civilians, I will report back when I have confirmation.

Can you send me a link and screen clip of the part on the local sight that states that all their products have it? I'll try and get them to sort it out.

Thanks, look forward to your findings.

Need to replace my current batch.

While we wait I'll happily share a recent incident during which when responding to some public violence I made use of the Sabre Red Flip top Gel.
After the mess was cleaned up and those that were too bloody minded to quit were safely locked in the back of the SAPS van, I watched the poor recipient being led away by a friend on either side of him because even though he had been sitting and wiping his eyes for the last 20 minutes he still wasn't able to open them enough to see anything. 

Hi Hubbers....

So of late we have had a spike in cyclists being attacked in Port Elizabeth. Only one specific stretch of road, which we now avoid like the plague...

But thinking bigger picture I would like to be prepared to at least try and defend myself, rather than not have the means at all should said scenario become a reality.....this is South Africa after all...

Me and my training partner normally train early mornings 4 - 6 am, and stick to routes that is known as "safe passage"....relatively speaking....

I'm not keen on carrying a firearm whilst training, defeats the purpose of actually enjoying myself, as well as the practicalities involved. Next best option is pepper spray.

1) What pepper spray is tried and trusted?

2) Handlebar mounted or in cycling shirt? Or both?

For obvious reasons the aerosol will not work - I'm thinking the gel variant will be better. Any specific brands to use?

Any constructive feedback will be appreciated.

https://cctv-direct.co.za/collections/stun-guns-tazers/products/80-000v-shock-drop-anti-riot-stun-gun-drops-attackers-up-to-5m-s-away

stun.1_large_1024x1024.jpg?v=1406719036

That thing is a complete and utter piece of....

I have seldom seen such poor quality and reliability out of an item.

Also, you know the "you get what you pay for" adage? Well I can tell you that the half decent devices of that type start at around R10 000, a long way from that couple of hundred bucks.

The agent has confirmed that the products with CS are only for law enforcement abroad and are NOT available in S.A.

Hi Hubbers....

So of late we have had a spike in cyclists being attacked in Port Elizabeth. Only one specific stretch of road, which we now avoid like the plague...

But thinking bigger picture I would like to be prepared to at least try and defend myself, rather than not have the means at all should said scenario become a reality.....this is South Africa after all...

Me and my training partner normally train early mornings 4 - 6 am, and stick to routes that is known as "safe passage"....relatively speaking....

I'm not keen on carrying a firearm whilst training, defeats the purpose of actually enjoying myself, as well as the practicalities involved. Next best option is pepper spray.

1) What pepper spray is tried and trusted?

2) Handlebar mounted or in cycling shirt? Or both?

For obvious reasons the aerosol will not work - I'm thinking the gel variant will be better. Any specific brands to use?

Any constructive feedback will be appreciated.

I have some, haven't tried. I put it in the back of my cycling shirt, not ideal. Club mate of mine has it on a little strap on his leg. Almost like a gun holster, but only around your thigh. 

Just make sure you don't spray into a headwind if (God forbid) you happen to find yourself in situation where you have to use it. Just a whiff of that stuff.....