Pepper Spray - What works best??

CTJ

As I've been riding solo as of late I've decided that it might be a good time to get some form of self defense, which hopefully won't need to be used. Not sure if the pink attracts or detracts, but I 3D printed some clips which can be fixed to all my bikes, and the canister can just be transferred over depending on which bike I'm on.

SakUSr4.jpg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I've been riding solo as of late I've decided that it might be a good time to get some form of self defense, which hopefully won't need to be used. Not sure if the pink attracts or detracts, but I 3D printed some clips which can be fixed to all my bikes, and the canister can just be transferred over depending on which bike I'm on.

SakUSr4.jpg

Nice

But the tyraps are going to mark your frame

Maybe make a clip with a wider base and use some strong double sided tape?

My experience says the only place it is of any (albeit limited) use is when it is in your hand. I keep mine in back pocket or under the cuff of my shorts and when I'm on a dodgy road, I hold it in my hand with my finger on the trigger. If I see any pedestrian who looks a bit suspect, I hold in front of me and pointed at the person just in case. I use a liquid bullet which shoots a stream aot spray.

Saw a lady runner early morning ...

First glance all seemed normal.

Then I noticed a strap around her wrist ... then the can of peperspray in each hand ....

She clearly is not going down without a fight ....

As this seems to be an older thread .... anybody on this thread that have used your spray, or other defences, while out riding or running ?

What worked ?

What did not work ?

Any advise/recommendations ....

Right now the only planning in place .... decent insurance .... be as vigilant as possible ....

My daughter came to visit the weekend and pulled out what looked like a fancy torch from her handbag.I took it and pressed the button and almost electrocuted myself.F*ck that,Its got seriaas out there.Pepper spray se gat.One of these will ensure that the bastard comes close to death.

I have been watching a channel on YT called Active Self Protection. Very useful stuff coming out of there. Basically he suggests what he calls 'Jerk Sauce' as a viable option to dissuade would be aggressors. Some pointers:

1. Never let on you're about to use the CR spray.
2. Spray with your thumb, not your point finger. Thumb allows more control and 4 fingers on the canister.
3. Bless the person being sprayed, I.e. ear to ear then eyes to sternum.
4. Don't over saturate. Too much hot sauce ends up being less effective.
5. Stream spray works better than a fog or mousse.
6. Get away as soon as it's safe to.
7. Practice drawing the canister and how to use it ( without actually using it goes without saying). Get comfortable how to draw and use it without having to look what you're doing.

8. Always keep eyes on the aggressors at all times.

edit - fixed typos

Edited by Robbie Stewart

Problem with tazers is that you have to be up close and personal to use it. 

Yes,my daughter has been the victim of a road rage attack and most recently a smash and grab.I think this Darth Vader sword is perfect for when it gets up close and personal.

I have been watching a channel on YT called Active Self Protection. Very useful stuff coming out of there. Basically he suggests what he calls 'Jerk Sauce' as a viable option to dissuade would be aggressors. Some pointers:

1. Never let on you're about to use the CR spray.

2. Spray with your thumb, not your point finger. Thumb allows more control and 4 fingers on the canister.

3. Bless the person being sprayed, I.e. ear to ear then eyes to sternum.

4. Don't over saturate. Too much hot sauce ends up being less effective.

5. Spray works better than a fog or mousse.

6. Get away as soon as it's safe to.

7. Practice drawing the canister and how to use it ( without actually using it guess without saying). Very comfortable how to draw and use it without having to look what you're doing. Always keep eyes on the aggressors at all times.

Not spray but rather a stream type spray pattern is better. The spray, wide angle mist type ones are useless.

So was wondering, has anyone here that got Asthma used any of these pepper spray devices?  Just wondering even if it is a narrow spray some of it might still affect  the "user".  Or will it not be an issue if you press and get the hell out of there?

Ive used the stream version on a few dogs trying to get a piece of me and had no issue with blowback. It takes a few seconds for the dog to realize that something is amiss

Not spray but rather a stream type spray pattern is better. The spray, wide angle mist type ones are useless.

Yes I am referring to stream type. They are most effective. Thanks for clarifying.

post-10758-0-12551100-1613330727_thumb.png

Jokes aside, and I know you've probably seen all the "New Zealand is so safe we don't lock our doors and kids play in the street" kinda posts, so can't blame any eye rolling.

My actual question/observation is around how much may have changed?

I left SA about 5yrs ago, but up until then I used to ride the Spruit (mostly alone) about 2-4x a week. I knew crime was on the increase (especially behind PnP), and one of our favourite jump lines (DHL) was slowly enveloped by the influx of vagrants. But at the time I think self-defense tools weren't commonly carried.

It would be interesting to hear if the increase in self-defense preparation is due to an increase in incidents, or has the rate of incident remained about the same, but victims (and potential victims) are getting fed up.

Edited by patches

I have some experience...

Got hijacked - RUNNING nogal, late last year, in Hermanus, of all places! Took my running watch; I dont run with a cellphone...

At the same time, a good mate of mine got mugged for his BIKE on the Cape Point Road; he is a big/strong/street-smart -and take no k@k Muther, so I guess it can happen to anyone...!

Since I am commuting 2x per week, on my MTB, I set myself up to POTENTIALLY oil a bike-jacking, but of course, in the blur of it happening, anything can NOT work, but being prepared is half the battle...

Firstly, i bought a Tazer, it is VERY strong (don't ask me how i know this...!), and I mounted it to the crossbar right behind the handlebars, and attached it to the TOP TUBE, far forward, with 3M Dual Lock, it is VERY strong, yet pulls free at a certain 'twist-angle'...

I disguised it with my harbour access card, Velcroing the car to the UPPER side, since I need it close at hand to commute THROUGH the harbour - i too have seen some super-sketchy dudes hanging around my alternative cycle route, with is on the bus lane-cycle path from Civic Center out to Paarden Eiland, past Woodstock station and those stairs that run over the railway line... in fact when i use that route, i see cyclists 'gathering' into a group of 4 or 5 to do the 'traverse' - pains me to see this, because I WANT that cycle path to be an ONGOING success, but reality is that there is the occasional incident on that cycle path...

I then decided to ADD a Pepper Spray S-T-R-E-A-M that I was given, so I DID practice using it (on a fence, not a human being!), and then bought another full one...

I have now moved away from the Tazer on Dual Lock only, have found an old feed-back that I located in same place, and then put Tazer INSIDE (quick to reach, I know it's less than ideal though...), and then tucked the pepper spray quite securely, but QUICK to remove - into the lip of the bag (it has not come out in 30-odd hours of riding yet!)

Interestingly, you can add 'tension' to the Pepper Spray cannister by tensioning the mesh cover against it - can still be removed, but will not fall out, etc...

I agree with using THUMB to actuate the fire button, since better grip with 4 fingers on the tube, and also thumb seamlessly (!) moves red button from LOCKED to SPRAY...

It's a work-in-progress, but it is working for me, and working well, practiced a few times, just to get the mechanics of it in my head!

We shall see!

Chris

post-1199-0-98570300-1613379648_thumb.jpg

post-1199-0-29097200-1613379690_thumb.jpg

post-1199-0-17125100-1613380000_thumb.jpg

post-1199-0-76227300-1613380016_thumb.jpg

post-1199-0-45553600-1613380064_thumb.jpg

post-1199-0-45728400-1613380144_thumb.jpg

post-1199-0-62221800-1613380160_thumb.jpg