Pepper Spray - What works best??

CTJ

you ask the person politely to wait while you do a graceful turn and line up exercise?

Or maybe the unsubs will take one look and think "What a knob".

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

So was wondering, has anyone here that got Asthma used any of these pepper spray devices?  Just wondering even if it is a narrow spray some of it might still affect  the "user".  Or will it not be an issue if you press and get the hell out of there?

So was wondering, has anyone here that got Asthma used any of these pepper spray devices? Just wondering even if it is a narrow spray some of it might still affect the "user". Or will it not be an issue if you press and get the hell out of there?

Ask the pro peloton they were sprayed during the TDF[emoji39]

I had to resort to peperspray once.

Unfortunatelly the full canister lost its pressure with age and the spray only seeped over my hand. I proceeded to deliver the pepper liquid to the perpetrator's face with my fist.

The outcome was very successful except for when I resumed my ride and 5km from home I accidentaly touched my eyes and mouth... MOTHERTRUCKERSPAWNOFSATAN!

Keep those things away from the little ones and check if the pressure is still good.

Hi Hubbers....

So of late we have had a spike in cyclists being attacked in Port Elizabeth. Only one specific stretch of road, which we now avoid like the plague...

But thinking bigger picture I would like to be prepared to at least try and defend myself, rather than not have the means at all should said scenario become a reality.....this is South Africa after all...

Me and my training partner normally train early mornings 4 - 6 am, and stick to routes that is known as "safe passage"....relatively speaking....

I'm not keen on carrying a firearm whilst training, defeats the purpose of actually enjoying myself, as well as the practicalities involved. Next best option is pepper spray.

1) What pepper spray is tried and trusted?

2) Handlebar mounted or in cycling shirt? Or both?

For obvious reasons the aerosol will not work - I'm thinking the gel variant will be better. Any specific brands to use?

Any constructive feedback will be appreciated.

I've read about half the replies so far and come to the conclusion is that many of the replies appear to be from inexperienced users.

If you have pepper spray, just like a firearm, train to use it. If you've trained yourself to respond, like you should if you carry any arms, then most of these responses will be clearly irrelevant.

Also test it every few rides because the propellant weakens over time as well as the pepper liquid recedes back down the tube after several days, making response slower.

I also have a bottle with a safety-cap. The idea is that you stick your finger between the safety mechanism and the button, but I just break the safety mechanism out each time as the 1cm sidewalls of the safety cap is enough to prevent accidental spraying at all.

I cycle with a fairly large (like a tall, slender deodorant bottle size) can of spray in my pocket. Before I reach the 50m mark after starting a ride, I've checked whether it is aligned in my pocket in the manner I've trained to draw it. It doesn't roll over or anything in my pocket- I've tested. I use a larged can (larger than the ones shown in some pics here that clip onto your bike) because there are a lot of free roaming dogs where I ride and often need to respond quickly- yes, it does work on dogs, biggest deterred dog so far is a pitbull that jumped the fence.

I would advise any cyclist in south africa to train and ride with pepper spray. The brand I use has the maximum allowed percentage of capsicum. It is a direct spray that reaches at least 2 meters after a few uses and the effects are literally instant if it touches your eyes or if the attacker is sweating anywhere, it reacts with sweat. Last night after my warm down jog with spray in hand, got home, rinsed my face and the second I touched my face, my eye burned intensely and wouldn't open- genius me touched the nozzle again.

Hopefully my response with experience helps you make the decision that works for OP.

Edited by Dirkitech

i ride with the stream can spray in my back pocket.When i get near dodgy roads areas people i take it out and ride with it in my hand and put it back if the danger area situation has passed.

I could not decide which pepper spray I would want, so I got this instead...

attachicon.gifcolt.jpg

Collectable item alright. Not terribly practical on a bicycle though.

So in short best to get two canisters, one to practice a bit on in an open area on a day with no wind.  

Still a bit concerned about the asthma thingy, should it be ok as long as it does not get sprayed to close to their vicinity ?

I've read about half the replies so far and come to the conclusion is that many of the replies appear to be from inexperienced users.
If you have pepper spray, just like a firearm, train to use it. If you've trained yourself to respond, like you should if you carry any arms, then most of these responses will be clearly irrelevant.
Also test it every few rides because the propellant weakens over time as well as the pepper liquid recedes back down the tube after several days, making response slower.

From my experience the best Pepper spray is Sabre Red, made in the USA, has tear gas in addition to pepper spray and has UV dye if you need to ID the perp later.

Not much more expensive than other makes either, ammo/weapons shops often have it and its available on Takealot.

Coming from someone who has been bike jacked.

in my incident i had zero time to do anything.

put my hands up and let my stuff go.

much as i would love to get back and take "control", i still ride with nothing as protection.

its happens far to quickly and will just lead to aggravating the attack

So in short best to get two canisters, one to practice a bit on in an open area on a day with no wind.  

Still a bit concerned about the asthma thingy, should it be ok as long as it does not get sprayed to close to their vicinity ?

No no, if there is wind all the better for testing- just spray it briefly 1 meter diagonally down with the wind. You don't necessarily need two canisters. It would be good to test the one you're planning on using to know that it works, and a few test sprays won't impact the practical usefulness of the canister.

The last time I bought some spray canisters I purchased 3 direct sprays (1 for gf, 1 for cycling, 1 for car) and walked out with them, after getting home, I heard one of the canisters had a different consistency. I went outside, tested it with the diagonal down method, it was the misting spray on an incorrectly labeled canister. Always test what you buy! Would've been a massive fail using this misting bottle for its intended purpose!

I was born with severe asthma but don't use the pump anymore. I volunteered to take a face full at a self defense course one day - it was awful but no long term side effects whatsoever!

As a side note, I pull all the labels off my pepper spray canisters, especially since I leave it unattended in the car and don't want car-peekers to know its pepper spray as opposed to a chance at deodorant.

Edited by Dirkitech

So was wondering, has anyone here that got Asthma used any of these pepper spray devices?  Just wondering even if it is a narrow spray some of it might still affect  the "user".  Or will it not be an issue if you press and get the hell out of there?

Best you carry your emergency meds with you if you also carry a pepper spray and decide to use it - unlikely you wont get some inhaled almost no matter what, and until you test it you won't know what your response will be - and you don't want to do a planned test...