New bike prices

Eric Evans

I'll take the GTR thanks :clap:

Done a few laps at Nurburg Ring in a few and they are awesome machines. :thumbup:

Still prefer an Aston Martin. (Which is like my SBC... 1/4 of the price of a real bike, and the noises I make riding it are epic. )

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is, the golf bats the top pro's swing are really difficult to use properly, so a weekend golfer would 99.9% of the time be better off buying way more forgiving clubs.

Same as Bob the Banker on his S-Works Epic. The toys do not a skilled rider make.

Same as Bob the Banker on his S-Works Epic. The toys do not a skilled rider make.

Bob also has a Ferrari in the garage of which he should never be allowed to turn the traction control off, lest he kills himself and his Eastern European girlfriend. Should he not be allowed to own his Ferrari? I say if you can afford it and you want it, then get it and don't be bothered with those who are green with envy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

180k for a bicycle is incontrovertible evidence of our collective insanity. 4 million for a car is similarly ridiculous, no matter whose panties it drops or how quickly it will wrap you around a lamp post.

Free market capitalism has abandoned value in favour of cost. This mistake created the credit crunch amongst other monstrosities of the postmodern age where perception TRUMPS truth at every turn. 180k bicycles are just one of the more innocuous byproducts of this folly.

If a R180k bike wasn't worth that to somebody, nobody would buy one.

Don't confuse cost with value.

Still prefer an Aston Martin. (Which is like my SBC... 1/4 of the price of a real bike, and the noises I make riding it are epic. )

The Mrs treated me to the Aston Martin experience at the Ring for my 40th.

180k for a bicycle is incontrovertible evidence of our collective insanity. 4 million for a car is similarly ridiculous, no matter whose panties it drops or how quickly it will wrap you around a lamp post.

This ^

The absolute superstition of materialism.

Ok so lets start with the OP's car analogy. To do something like the Epic in cycling terms is like doing the Dakar in bakkie terms. The Scalpel you refer to is the same version that the Pro's have access to, so the bakkie you need to refer to needs to be the Hilux Geniel de Villiers got for the race, not a second-hand ranger.

This is incidentally the reason golf bats are so expensive. If you want the ones that Ernie, Goosen or Spieth are swinging, there is a premium. Admittedly you can pick up the second best Scalpel for around R120 000 and you will finish the Epic in just about the same time, but some people want the best and are willing to pay for it.

No its not the same. I know this is a big banter fest, but you can't start your argument with a fallacy and expect the rest to follow...

I doubt anybody who is not sponsored races the Dakar these days and its much harder and more dangerous than the Epic especially if you are on a bike. You also would not attempt it unless you have proper riding skills(unlike the Epic again). 

Give the pro's at the Epic a cheaper bike and they will still win - give a Dakar racer an inferior bike and pro or not he wont get very far.

No its not the same. I know this is a big banter fest, but you can't start your argument with a fallacy and expect the rest to follow...

I doubt anybody who is not sponsored races the Dakar these days and its much harder and more dangerous than the Epic especially if you are on a bike. You also would not attempt it unless you have proper riding skills(unlike the Epic again). 

Give the pro's at the Epic a cheaper bike and they will still win - give a Dakar racer an inferior bike and pro or not he wont get very far.

Doubt that Nino would win on this vs Sourworm on his Epic.

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb317001/p4pb317001.jpg

But I get your point, you just can't end your argument on a absolute and expect the rest to just accept it :P