New bike prices

Eric Evans

At least the ranger comes with shocks on both the front wheels....and not just the left :ph34r:

Wrong - each wheel on the Ranger front as well as back has a Lefty !!  :)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hardly,

If you're thinking that there is more R&D involved in a bicycle than a car, you have been drinking too much of the bicycle industry's Kool aid. Even a *** Tata had more engineers working on the car than a simple carbon bicycle frame.

I said R&D is one of the factors, not the only factor. In any event, I would say that in all probability there is more R&D in a scalpel compared to a Tata that uses the 1980 bin of technology to build their cars with no innovation. I'm not even talking about the desirability factor; I would rather walk than be seen in the same parking lot as a Tata

I said R&D is one of the factors, not the only factor. In any event, I would say that in all probability there is more R&D in a scalpel compared to a Tata that uses the 1980 bin of technology to build their cars with no innovation. I'm not even talking about the desirability factor; I would rather walk than be seen in the same parking lot as a Tata

until one day you have to walk then we'll talk again.

no, I don't own a Tata.

And there are only 2 potential suppliers for the components in the bike industry - also pretty monopolised.

But the components are only a relatively small percentage of the cost, especially at the high end

I buy my bikes like I buy my cars. Nearly new. They are depreciating assets and two big 'investments' that start tanking as soon as you have them. Should by more houses than cars but luckily the deprecation in the bike world is more year after year so I have more bikes than I have cars. 

Last bike I bought was a R65K bike new two years ago that was going for R30K and I got it for a shade under that. 

But the components are only a relatively small percentage of the cost, especially at the high end

not really, eh. The higher you go, teh lower the % of total cost is made up by the frame. And some components can be MIGHTILY expensive. 

if you cant afford cannodale and S that apparently Works, don't buy it! finish and klaar!  :whistling:

Should of waited till friday... Luckily we recently had this debate so...

You've had the long answers, now let me give you the short answer = cycling is the new golf.

It is and has been for a long time not about the enjoyment of the sport, but the prestige of your bike, kit and type of races you can afford and the riding groups you hang out with.

Our demand for better spunkier, shinier space ship technology to whizz through the " country side" allows us to be "roggered" by the cycling industry.

WTF - I remember when a state of the art bat was R40 at Kings Sports in Durban

If you go and read about the English Willow market, you will realise that there is 1 supplier of the wood supplying something like 90% of all bat wood. They set the price for the wood (per grade), and you take it or leave it.  Unlike bikes (driven by marketing and brand desire) this industry struggle under the monopolistic tendencies of one dominant supplier.

After the monopolistic pressure, the same marketing and brand power takes charge, and before you know it, a R10k plus bat 

Cricket bats have gone insane. Not only are they massive, they're not very durable at all. How often do you see a bat change these days?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/944653.html

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/227800/227831.3.jpg

Tata got some nice cars these days!

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02418/tata_2418343b.jpg

Really? It's pretty high, ESPECIALLY at the high end. buying an XT (mechanical) bike for R80k gives you a 10% ratio. A top end groupset costs you the better part of R50k. 25% of bike cost is not relatively small. 

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/shimano-xt-di2-11-speed-groupset-2x11

R29k for XT, RRP 35k

https://www.evobikes.co.za/components/groupsets/xtr-di2-groupset-double-prices-depends-on-configuration.html

R39k for XTR, RRP 48k.

Note: working with retail prices as that's the only benchmark I can use.

until one day you have to walk then we'll talk again.

no, I don't own a Tata.

If he owns one the likelihood of him walking is good...

Tata ma chance!

When you drive a tata, and then you drive a higher end German car (BMW, Golf, Merc), will you not notice the difference?

Now go ride a Raleigh from Makro and then a Scalpel and tell me what you think

You've had the long answers, now let me give you the short answer = cycling is the new golf.

It is and has been for a long time not about the enjoyment of the sport, but the prestige of your bike, kit and type of races you can afford and the riding groups you hang out with.

Our demand for better spunkier, shinier space ship technology to whizz through the " country side" allows us to be "roggered" by the cycling industry.

So has the price of high end golf sticks come down seeing that the golf demand has declined?