Knysna Cycle Tour

Super Sywurm

Why would they cancel?

They will pull out the stops to make it even more awesome.

They have a whole month.

Who says all the mtb trails burnt down - have you even done the race?

I have, but I stopped going because it got too expensive. Did the 50 twice and the 80 once. 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would they cancel?

They have a whole month.

Yes, I have done the race before. Nobody said all the trails burnt down.

It does rather feel like the Cape has had a tough year of it - wild fires, the Hout Bay fire and the destruction it wrought, the ongoing drought, this huge storm, now fires in Knysna .... 

Last I remember most of the race is on forest roads and jeep track and just the odd section of single track. So I don't see that the race would be cancelled - they might change the routes.

Anyway, as babse said, sure the community have bigger problems at the moment than mtb routes

I do hope they are able to still host the Oyster Festival, would be a double blow to the town if it gets cancelled

Yes, I have done the race before. Nobody said all the trails burnt down.

okee dokee.

I know the fires aren't all out yet, but the fire would not have affected where the route actually goes.

Indeed, the timing could not have been worse for Knysna as Oyster festival is the time of year when the whole town generates income. 

Been to the oyster festival plenty times doing the Knysna Marathon. The guys are right, at this point they have much bigger fish to fry. I would hope however that they able to pull through and still manage the festival. Humanity has a way of rising above the challenges and getting on with what makes life worth living.

Thoughts and prayers are with all those who have suffered a loss during this aweful time.  

K, I'll wait till they put out the fires before I ask them again then.  :whistling:

Sho, have some compassion here.  We have family and friends who have lost their homes in this fire and you are more concerned about a MTB race?  That's in poor taste bud.

while you worried about that status, spare a thought for the 1000s affected and homes/ farms and livestock burnt to the ground.

there is a bigger issue here buddy!

This ^^^^^^

Knysna Cycle Tour Facebook page:

Thank you to everyone for your concern about the devastating fires in Knysna.

Knysna has taken a big knock BUT the Knysna Cycle Tour is still on track with planning and organisation. Once all the fires have been extinguished, we will be able to assess the situation to see whether it is necesary to alter any of our routes and plans, and all entrants will be updated by email.

We are looking forward to a great event!

Where is everyone going to stay?

Ingwe and other guest lodges have opened their doors to house affected families and try to provide some shelter and ease the panic.

There are thousands of people with nowhere to go. BnB's, guest houses, hotels, schools etc all burnt down.

Housing thousands of visitors for some sportsing might not be the most strategic thing. 

Why would they cancel?

They have a whole month.

I have a number of times.The road is probably not an issue,but the mtb could very well have been seriously impacted on by the fires.I personally would not be suprised if they give it a miss.the first section of the long race and certainly the last from what i can make out is gone.

That means the 40 or whatever distance it is now is totalled.There are more important things to worry about.300 houses gone are the latest reports which amounts to a disaster and it shows no respect to the town to start badgering them about the event

What started the fires?

I have heard somewhere that apparently lightning started the fires, but due to the winds they where unable to dispatch any air support. Like I said I heard it somewhere so this is not confirmed.

Rant on.

Why not just let this one be...

Just don't post on their FB or whatever.

Just don't put your own little self centred MTB experience before the lives of thousands of people.

Just don't be an ass.

Wait 'till there is communication from their side, and be happy with whatever the outcome. Its not just up to the event organisers to see if the route can be used, or come up with an alternative - joint operations will still need to see if the town can handle it, safely.

Rather see what you can do to help.

Rant off.

Archived