Is it just me or is Evobikes prices not competitive at all anymore ?

pk007za

Rubbish!

Collectively fabricating a value above RRP is called Price Fixing.

?? Hu? Setting a RRP IS effectively price fixing, because if you don't comply you become banished to the sidelines and struggle to get stock. Omerta ........

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember its the people who say nothing, and take their business elsewhere, and tell their riding buddies to shop at this cheaper, better shop that cost business...

Telling a customer to "shove it up his ass" even more so....

I always wondered who likes their friends to be without backbone. You know, the friends who will actually take their business elsewhere because their main ou told them to as he "had a bad experience," "was told to bugger off," or "they are too expensive now."

I prefer my friends to be people who are confident enough to make their own purchase decisions.

Rumor has it that CWC get grey imports and thus can sell them significantly cheaper.

Its not a rumour.

?? Hu? Setting a RRP IS effectively price fixing, because if you don't comply you become banished to the sidelines and struggle to get stock. Omerta ....

No, that's not factually correct and simply pure speculation on your part. One is free to sell below, at, or above RRP. Any of those choices by a reseller do not result in banishment.

It grates my chops too when people have an over estimated view of their power as a consumer, particularly if they have not approached the retailer first. Its like people watched the "United breaks guitars" YouTube clip once too often. Social media is full of people shouting "boycott". Remember when everyone boycotted Woolworths on a Thursday because they apparently don't employ white people, only to go back on that Sunday after church because its too much trouble to make a malva pudding from scratch?

I agree with what you are saying here, as I think people are too sensitive in general these days.  It's as if people cannot be happy and have to find fault with everything and complain about everything. I do, however, believe that you have all the power as the consumer, seeing as that is why businesses exist, to make money off of the consumer. 

No, that's not factually correct and simply pure speculation on your part. One is free to sell below, at, or above RRP. Any of those choices by a reseller do not result in banishment.

And when we start wondering into the realm of stores all agreeing to "respect" the RRP....

It's murky.

Depends on the company, having had a retail store(not bike related), i advertised items below a certain companies RRP, and was told if i sold at that price they would stop supplying products to me(not even my supplier, but the manufacturer)

OK then, nice to know you still believe father Christmas, the Easter bunny, tooth fairy et al.

Yes you are "free to sell" below RRP without consequences till they find out.

It is also not factually incorrect and not pure speculation. But you are entitled to your opinion.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

And when we start wondering into the realm of stores all agreeing to "respect" the RRP....

It's murky.

RRP should be used by the manufacturer to advertise on their website, in a free market, retailers should be allowed to sell at cost if they want, should have nothing to do with the supplier once it leaves their truck/offices.

So you bring it in cheaper than anyone else, you advertise it for more than everyone else then put it on a special with a moerse 48% discount to be cheaper than the rest.

makes me think of a long lost lbs in ct who had a certain bike brand removed from their show rooms and was told they were not going to be supplied the said brand anymore as other lbs' so down the road were complaining that the great lbs was selling bikes below rrp. Anyway, legal eagles got involved and the brand was quickly back at the lbs.

?? Hu? Setting a RRP IS effectively price fixing, because if you don't comply you become banished to the sidelines and struggle to get stock. Omerta ........

MAP - Minimum Advertised Price 

In my opinion this is okay. You effectively protect your brand against online battles. The store can sell the item to a customer at a price he wishes, but not advertise it at any price. 

They guy who want's to do bargaining for a week between stores are welcome to do so on the same principle as CycleLab's "We beat any written quote" 

There also shops, mainly closed on Fridays that will also beat any price. 

I will continue to buy where prices are cheaper... be it online or in a brick and mortar type store

I prefer to do all my maintenance myself so thus no need for a special "walk in" type store...

That said, I have only ever received good service from most bike shops I supported over the years but that's mainly down to me researching a product, knowing what I want and avoiding the substitute on offer if the said bike shop does not have what I want!

Most of the bike shops sales staff are clueless when it comes to offering advice or product information...

The cheapest on offer gets my money!

The way I see it.

In the beginning, you had your bricks and mortar options only. They had to balance stock, pricing and loyalty/vibe. They mainly got their stuff from official channels and had to fit inline with that system.

Then CRC etc al came in and all of a sudden we had the options ​of much wider range at considerably better price. If you wanted to wait, the world was your oyster.

The local online stores fit in between here.

Free market principles apply, and the best should survive

I'm going to give the OP the benefit of doubt and day his post is genuinely curious. It could be his perception, or they could really be adjusting their operating margins/business model. Either way, it's up to the business to decide if they want to engage or not in the discussion. If they don't want to, then it's just really going to be a dead horse flogging

Archived