Is it just me or is Evobikes prices not competitive at all anymore ?

pk007za

I will continue to buy where prices are cheaper... be it online or in a brick and mortar type store

I prefer to do all my maintenance myself so thus no need for a special "walk in" type store...

That said, I have only ever received good service from most bike shops I supported over the years but that's mainly down to me researching a product, knowing what I want and avoiding the substitute on offer if the said bike shop does not have what I want!

Most of the bike shops sales staff are clueless when it comes to offering advice or product information...

The cheapest on offer gets my money!

ouch .... thankfully NOT correct.

Cycle4Life - Danie KNOWS his stuff !!  He knows his products, and he knows the business and what his clients needs - and he understands that his clients differ.  He makes a real effort to understand what the clients needs are then present solutions accordingly.

GeckoCycles - The owner and both very young sales men knows there products well.  Dont know if they have the same understanding of their clients needs - only because I did not afford them the same time, I walked in and asked for specific bikes/tools/clothes ...

Giant dealer in Durban Road - the young salesman here is friendly enough, and can quote the specs on most of his bikes .. still cant explain logically why one bike is better than the other - he stays in sales mode and keeps punting the cheaper solution.  Despite repeated efforts form my side he has no idea/understanding of my needs/wants.

Specialized dealer off Durban road - Mike is BRILLIANT !!  His service may one day convert me to a Specialized rider ...

Marnitz at CWC - Just as good as Mike !!  Maturity and professional approach way above his age !!  I have LOTS of respect for him.  Both these gents take TIME to get to understand their clients and the clients needs. 

The dealer in Durbanville, next to the Mica .... dont waste your petrol going there ....

Punch line - we are spoilt for choice in the Cape !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cycle4Life - Danie KNOWS his stuff !!  He knows his products, and he knows the business and what his clients needs - and he understands that his clients differ.  He makes a real effort to understand what the clients needs are then present solutions accordingly.

GeckoCycles - The owner and both very young sales men knows there products well.  Dont know if they have the same understanding of their clients needs - only because I did not afford them the same time, I walked in and asked for specific bikes/tools/clothes ...

Giant dealer in Durban Road - the young salesman here is friendly enough, and can quote the specs on most of his bikes .. still cant explain logically why one bike is better than the other - he stays in sales mode and keeps punting the cheaper solution.  Despite repeated efforts form my side he has no idea/understanding of my needs/wants.

Specialized dealer off Durban road - Mike is BRILLIANT !!  His service may one day convert me to a Specialized rider ...

Marnitz at CWC - Just as good as Mike !!  Maturity and professional approach way above his age !!  I have LOTS of respect for him.  Both these gents take TIME to get to understand their clients and the clients needs. 

The dealer in Durbanville, next to the Mica .... dont waste your petrol going there ....

I was generalising... But I've come to learn that, either you know what you want and just go out and get it or do your own research first...

Marnus, Drikus or Wikus (I think his name is) are good okes that know their stuff at CWC... There are other shops with good okes, but generally, I've learnt that, you need to do your own research mostly.

I learnt my lesson in the past, I always try to find cheaper parts, but when things go wrong, I find difficult to deal with it.

Rather find suitable or nearby bike shop and support them because when things go wrong, they will deal with it. Rather pay R100/R200 more for peace ofminds. If you find it too expensive, have chat with him and he can give you better price....

that are all norf of the worsgordyn too.

Evobikes may not always be the cheapest, but they are competitive on 95% of things I have found. 

What makes them worth the premium in my mind is that when things break or I need support Jannos is great. shoes clips broke after crash, replaced for gratis. Needed a freebody for my wheels, had it in stock and fitted it for me. AND was 40% cheaper than anywhere else including the east + shipping.

MAP - Minimum Advertised Price 

In my opinion this is okay. You effectively protect your brand against online battles. The store can sell the item to a customer at a price he wishes, but not advertise it at any price. 

They guy who want's to do bargaining for a week between stores are welcome to do so on the same principle as CycleLab's "We beat any written quote" 

There also shops, mainly closed on Fridays that will also beat any price. 

How can this be okay?

It's what basically kills business. Sure it's ok for the retailer who just wants to sit back and not actively pursue sales. 

But, let's take a scenario. You're running a business, it's the 20th of the month, and it doesn't look like you're going to reach your monthly sales budget. What do you do? Throw a sale right?  Regardless of margins made, your inventory turnover is better, cash flow is up, and you're good to go for the next month; to pay the bills, salaries and acquire new stock. If any distributor is against that then they're effectively against the free market and they deserve to lose customers to overseas online retailers - coz that's where their business is heading.

I just bought tyres from evo. And a BB.

#whatyoutakingaboutwillis?

Not even sure if it is legal to reply to your own comment but here goes:

Ordered yesterday. Arrived today.

My favourite tyre at the cheapest price. Schweeeeeet!

Not even sure if it is legal to reply to your own comment but here goes:

Ordered yesterday. Arrived today.

My favourite tyre at the cheapest price. Schweeeeeet!

You should go follow Ross Tucker on Twitter, he has full conversations with himself... :)

No, logically speaking they will be cheaper. Their buying power far outweighs their shop overhead.

They are in China as we speak sourcing goods..... doubt any other little shop/webstore can do that.

Partly agree. I think their buying power is predicated on their ability to circumvent local agents and buy large orders, to your point. They also do loss leaders very well - tubes, tires, etc.

The shop overhead is always a drag and personally I think that tuber alley shop has a lead of dead space that be used more efficiently as warehouse space to accelerate their online business

How can this be okay?

It's what basically kills business. Sure it's ok for the retailer who just wants to sit back and not actively pursue sales. 

But, let's take a scenario. You're running a business, it's the 20th of the month, and it doesn't look like you're going to reach your monthly sales budget. What do you do? Throw a sale right?  Regardless of margins made, your inventory turnover is better, cash flow is up, and you're good to go for the next month; to pay the bills, salaries and acquire new stock. If any distributor is against that then they're effectively against the free market and they deserve to lose customers to overseas online retailers - coz that's where their business is heading.

Do not confuse the debate with logic and business sense....

@ Christiaan - the actual reason for MSRP/RSP/MAP is 2 fold

1 - Yes, like you said, this is when brands want to ensure that their position in the market is maintained. The Cycle industry is blessed/cursed with many brands that can demand this adherence, either through brand power (Spez etc.) or lack of competition (Sram/Shimano)

2 - (This is more true for FMCG industry) The manfucaturer does very indepth market research into what the price will be where the volume/profit curve is maximised. I.E, any lower price will not increase volume enough to compensate for profit loss, and any higher price will suffer a volume decline not compensated by increased margin.

If a manufacturer's research is proper the last seller will be well advised to stick to the price, because all involved will benefit. Sadly, I think in the cycle industry none of point 2 happens (as you say). Luckily we have the online world (in and ex-SA) to keep point 1 in check 

PS - MAP only comes into play if the manufacturer actually gives advertising assitance to the retailer. Something I suspect does not happen in SA

It's just you... ????

Janos them always run their Monday specials and strive to serve their customers well

Not to get all fan boy about them but yesterday I phoned 6 shops to get options on a headset for a new build. 5 of them just didn't know what they had in stock and if / how long they would take. 4 couldn't understand what size I was asking for and just kept asking if it was tapered or straight despite me knowing exactly what I wanted and the key suppliers of the headset - it's a pretty common size. 1 said they could get it and gave me a rough price but they'd have to order it first before they could tell me how much. 1 put me on hold and then just asked me to mail them and they never got back. All finished up with, 'well if you bring it down we'll try to find something that fits or we can order something.' These are some of the well known places in CT not just a guy in a small shop.

Flat out, I'm not looking for advice and care over my bike, I have a long standing mechanic who knows me and my bikes, I have a long standing relationship with my suspension guys and am grateful for those. I don't need a long standing relationship if I'm buying a battery for my car. I just want know the options, if you can get it, what the cost is and to buy a battery. 

With in 10 minutes of going online I'd got 5 different options from the UK, live chat to confirm and free shipping to my freight forwarder and R95 to get it here all at a very good price. 

As a last minute thing I posted an ask on the Evobike tyre sale advert here and in minutes Naas had hit me up, said he can get it, we confirmed sizes & price, he said he'd order it and it'd take 48hrs at max and he'd contact me when it arrived.

Order has gone his way when it was going to Superstar in the UK because no other shop that I contacted could get it together enough. 

Not to get all fan boy about them but yesterday I phoned 6 shops to get options on a headset for a new build. 5 of them just didn't know what they had in stock and if / how long they would take. 4 couldn't understand what size I was asking for and just kept asking if it was tapered or straight despite me knowing exactly what I wanted and the key suppliers of the headset - it's a pretty common size. 1 said they could get it and gave me a rough price but they'd have to order it first before they could tell me how much. 1 put me on hold and then just asked me to mail them and they never got back. All finished up with, 'well if you bring it down we'll try to find something that fits or we can order something.' These are some of the well known places in CT not just a guy in a small shop.

Flat out, I'm not looking for advice and care over my bike, I have a long standing mechanic who knows me and my bikes, I have a long standing relationship with my suspension guys and am grateful for those. I don't need a long standing relationship if I'm buying a battery for my car. I just want know the options, if you can get it, what the cost is and to buy a battery. 

With in 10 minutes of going online I'd got 5 different options from the UK, live chat to confirm and free shipping to my freight forwarder and R95 to get it here all at a very good price. 

As a last minute thing I posted an ask on the Evobike tyre sale advert here and in minutes Naas had hit me up, said he can get it, we confirmed sizes & price, he said he'd order it and it'd take 48hrs at max and he'd contact me when it arrived.

Order has gone his way when it was going to Superstar in the UK because no other shop that I contacted could get it together enough. 

I have experienced this on multiple times. Even been told you dont get that etc. Also at well known shops around cape town.

This is what I was talking about in my previous post... Clueless....

Recently I ordered a few small items off Evobikes. Came quickly and 1 item was out of stock so they called me to let me know so I could choose something else which I did. Great service and I was happy with the prices. 

I always wonder how effective these "bad press" efforts are ?

Surely most of us have seen enough to know that the vast majority of these are not the "full story" ....

In fact - when last has Evobikes been mentioned this many times on the hub in a single day ? Would be interesting to see their internet traffic count for the day ....

this thread most probably got them more business than anything else.

when you get consistently bad press ... especially very level headed factual bad press ..... that cant be good for business.

AND as time passes we get to know different posters ...

To prove your point: I went onto their site after reading this thread, found Nobby Nics and Magic Marys going cheap and bought me some. Received them this morning.

Archived