Is it just me or is Evobikes prices not competitive at all anymore ?

pk007za

As we are all allowed to shop around and buy cheaper from another supplier if we want to. Its just that Evo started out with great pricing in the past, borne of the premise that "we'll rent cheap premises to pass on savings to you the customer", and I've always supported Janos and them because they really do go the extra mile to assist you, the original premise of this post was that Evo seems to be getting more and more expensive as time goes on. I'd prefer to support Evo as I always have (have spent over R30k there by my calculations over the past 18 months) its just getting harder to with price being such an important factor nowdays.

If you are really serious about this maybe you can get more worthwhile feedback if you take it up with Janos directly than what you would get from hubber speculation?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always look first to buy locally, but with my last few purchases have all been from abroad. Local shops just can't compare.  I have used Evans Cycles, Chainreaction Cycles and Bike24 in the last two months with pleasant experiences.

Placed an order over the weekend from Bikeinn, hopefully this will also go well

If you are really serious about this maybe you can get more worthwhile feedback if you take it up with Janos directly than what you would get from hubber speculation?

Wanted to gauge other peoples feelings on this, or if I'm just wasting my time even worrying about it...

If you are buying some expensive items, then shop around, I don't see anything wrong with going where you (the consumer, the one who is supposed to be kept happy here) will get the best quality. Now quality here could mean, best value for money, cheapest, best perceived value, best service and aftermarket support, etc. etc. etc.

So depending on your needs, you buy what you want,where you want. 

If that would mean supporting local, then great, but I won't go local just because it is local. 

But also remember that there are a lot of factors that determine a certain shop's pricing, and it could just be a matter of supply and demand in the case of the tyres mentioned by the OP

If one of my regular customers posted this on a social platform without speaking to me first I'd strongly encourage him to take his business elsewhere. No, I'd actually encourage him to shove it up his ass first.

Feels like 90% of everything costs the same in all shops. Just have a look at shoes for example. Sports good store, Cape union Mart and the local Tekkie town. Same prices on same shoes.

Bicycle industry pretty much the same except for the "sale" items.

Couple of points:

America uses a term MSRP - Minimum  Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price

Brands protect their brand by giving retailer the confidence that the product won't be dumped in the market, effectively making products redundant. 

This makes the risk of buying stock a bit lower of you know there is a level playing field and the market protected. 

In South Africa we have RRP - Recommended retail price. No minimum... but. 

When you can buy your Garmin 820 from a car part dealership at cost +5% and a local bike shop who gives sound advice and trying to make a buck you need to decide whether or not to support the cycle shop. 

Brands win the game when they are able to create an economy within an industry where everyone, including the local bike shop expert, the entrepreneurial investor and logistics manager (whether an brand is direct or use a distributor) makes a living. 

Some distributors are greedy... yes... some are actually paying their duties and play the game according to the rules. 

Couple of points:

America uses a term MSRP - Minimum  Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price MAP - Minimum Advertised Price

Brands protect their brand by giving retailer the confidence that the product won't be dumped in the market, effectively making products redundant. 

This makes the risk of buying stock a bit lower of you know there is a level playing field and the market protected. 

In South Africa we have RRP - Recommended retail price. No minimum... but. 

When you can buy your Garmin 820 from a car part dealership at cost +5% and a local bike shop who gives sound advice and trying to make a buck you need to decide whether or not to support the cycle shop. 

Brands win the game when they are able to create an economy within an industry where everyone, including the local bike shop expert, the entrepreneurial investor and logistics manager (whether an brand is direct or use a distributor) makes a living. 

Some distributors are greedy... yes... some are actually paying their duties and play the game according to the rules. 

Thanks! Mixed them up...

Feels like 90% of everything costs the same in all shops. Just have a look at shoes for example. Sports good store, Cape union Mart and the local Tekkie town. Same prices on same shoes.

Bicycle industry pretty much the same except for the "sale" items.

Silicon grips - SAME item, exact same brand same packaging - prices vary from R280 (Special at CWC) to R500 at a Paarl shop.  Typical shelf price R350 (CWC) to R400 at outlets ....

Same with flat pedals - GIANT brand - from R350 to R600.

Prices actually vary drastically between shops ..... so if you are about to spend big bucks, shop around.

Wanted to gauge other peoples feelings on this, or if I'm just wasting my time even worrying about it...

tenor.gif

You wanted to drum up support so that you could go and say "Everybody on the BikeHub says....."

tenor.gif

You wanted to drum up support so that you could go and say "Everybody on the BikeHub says....."

Ah thanks, could you also tell me what my thoughts are on abortion and gay marriage is, given that you're now telling me what I think ?

Ah thanks, could you also tell me what my thoughts are on abortion and gay marriage is, given that you're now telling me what I think ?

I am sure I could if you posted about them in the same way you did about this.

My statement came from your posts, not your thoughts.

Respecting RRP too much between bike shops is called price fixing.

Rubbish!

Collectively fabricating a value above RRP is called Price Fixing.

I am sure I could if you posted about them in the same way you did about this.

My statement came from your posts, not your thoughts.

tenor.gif

"You wanted to drum up support so that you could go and say "Everybody on the BikeHub says....."" - Would love to see where my posts indicated that I wanted to do that...Although you know what they say about assumption...

If one of my regular customers posted this on a social platform without speaking to me first I'd strongly encourage him to take his business elsewhere. No, I'd actually encourage him to shove it up his ass first.

Remember its the people who say nothing, and take their business elsewhere, and tell their riding buddies to shop at this cheaper, better shop that cost business...

Telling a customer to "shove it up his ass" even more so....

Archived