Bikelife finance

BSG

Talk about unbridled optimism

Yeah, because the ZAR took a beating.

The opposite could also happen; Zuma gets recalled tomorrow, and Cyril is the new prez. The markets react and the ZAR strengthens to 11.00 R/USD. Come 2019 and the DA wins, and we're back to 6.00 R/USD and a 2019 Camber S-works costs R40k.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The opposite could also happen; Zuma gets recalled tomorrow, and Cyril is the new prez. The markets react and the ZAR strengthens to 11.00 R/USD. Come 2019 and the DA wins, and we're back to 6.00 R/USD and a 2019 Camber S-works costs R40k.

58da9be8e84748a68b8b9d2aa11cee79_remembe

The zar took a beating? You currently pay about R15 per euro, approximately the same as the average for 2015.

Also, we know bike shop prices are sticky when the rand strengthens, but not when it weakens [emoji10]

Always an interesting discussion. And I like the calculation by CJ Van.

To each his own [emoji106]

Right after Wolverhampton Wanderers win the Premier League and the Cheetahs win Super Rugby? :whistling:

The zar took a beating? You currently pay about R15 per euro, approximately the same as the average for 2015.

Also, we know bike shop prices are sticky when the rand strengthens, but not when it weakens [emoji10]

Always an interesting discussion. And I like the calculation by CJ Van.

To each his own [emoji106]

Swooooosh!

Are we arguing for the sake of arguing now?

My comment wrt to the exchange rate vs politics was sarcasm...but it's impossible to predict what will happen, and in hindsight isn't really reliable justification.

I don't know where you've been the last 2+ years, but I deal with the exchange rate on a daily basis. ZAR/EUR was 12.50 - 13.50 for Q1 - Q2 2015. ZAR/USD were 11.60 - 12.15.

Approximately the same is not exacly 15%.

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=ZAR&view=5Y

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=EUR&to=ZAR&view=2Y

Edited by stefmeister

Swooooosh!

Are we arguing for the sake of arguing now?

My comment wrt to the exchange rate is sarcasm...but it's impossible to predict what will happen, and in hindsight isn't really reliable justification.

I don't know where you've been the last 2+ years, but I deal with the exchange rate on a daily basis. ZAR/EUR was 12.50 - 13.50 for Q1 - Q2 2015. ZAR/USD were 11.60 - 12.15.

Approximately the same is not exacly 15%.

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=ZAR&view=5Y

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=EUR&to=ZAR&view=2Y

giphy.gif?response_id=591d7c8b09a042b9b4

http://replygif.net/i/365.gif

... and a headline on Bikehub - Mamil wins trailseeker Grabouw .... the stuff dreams are made of.

Right after Wolverhampton Wanderers win the Premier League and the Cheetahs win Super Rugby? :whistling:

... and a headline on Bikehub - Mamil wins trailseeker Grabouw .... the stuff dreams are made of.

Well with the way CSA is going and them not sanctioning events, this could be more than just a dream....

Nothing that ninja skills and superglue in the chain lube couldn't facilitate

Well with the way CSA is going and them not sanctioning events, this could be more than just a dream....

I will finance a bike if I look at buying a new bike. My bike is not just a toy but a definite part of my well being (mentally and physically) as well as my lifestyle. I will save for a size-able deposit and gladly make the monthly payments. I could have been paying gym fees and shrink :eek: fees.....

:thumbup:

Hi people of the hub. I did the unthinkable two years ago by buying a bike through Bikelife, now I want to make sure when my contract with them is finished but for the last few months I didn't get any response from my e-mails to them and neither can I get hold of them when trying to phone them. Does anyone have an idea of how or whom I need to contact or anyone who has any info will be helpful.

Thank you

BSG

Sent from my proline M7453GDC using Tapatalk

I unfortunately also purchased my bike from them and earlier this week I tried sending them an e-mail to confirm that i have two payments left until my contract expires. when i checked my mail this morning, it seems like their e-mail doesnt even work, when i call, i am on hold forever. im also having the same issue as you and would like assistance.

I unfortunately also purchased my bike from them and earlier this week I tried sending them an e-mail to confirm that i have two payments left until my contract expires. when i checked my mail this morning, it seems like their e-mail doesnt even work, when i call, i am on hold forever. im also having the same issue as you and would like assistance.

Luckily I got through this morning. admin@bikelife.co.za

I spoke to Vivian.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I will finance a bike if I look at buying a new bike. My bike is not just a toy but a definite part of my well being (mentally and physically) as well as my lifestyle. I will save for a size-able deposit and gladly make the monthly payments. I could have been paying gym fees and shrink :eek: fees.....

:thumbup:

South Africa - where exchange rates even affect old stock!

our bike shops drive up prices regardless of ZAR/$

With all of the above in mind, I have an update to my whole bike buying experience!

First off, this is going to be long and juicy for those of you who like information overload. Went to Hattons Cycles in Umhlanga. They gave me the first initial quote of:

2 x Silverback Sola 4 2016 @ 9035.54 per bike

2 x Bongtager helmets @ 613.99 per helmet

2 x Ryder Ventgel gloves @ 175.39 per pair

2 x Camelbak Podium Chill 620ml @ 201.71 per bottle

1 x Ryder Pump mega @ 166.62

2 x Topeak Bag Wedge @ 447.32 per bag

1 x Chain lube @ 87.68

2 x Ravx Bottle Cage Dart x @ 113.99 per cage

1 x Topeak tire lever @ 113.99

1 x Cycloplus lock @ 113.99

1 x HoldFast Boot Carrier @ 1491.18

Prices are excl vat, and no specials given. Total incl vat = R 26 389.15

So I phone Bike Life to find out about financing. They immediately let me know they no longer provide financing. Asked why, lady said she was new and had no idea why. Perhaps it's just temporary. But that's interesting none the less.

So with my hopes dashed like that I was about to give up. When the Credit Card idea sunk in, and wedged itself. So if I pay by Credit Card I can get the specials and stuff. So we worked out the following quote:

1 x Trek Marlin 6 2016 @ 7456.10

1 x Trek Marlin 7 2017 @ 10087.68

Total incl VAT: 19999.90

Part of the special is that these bikes come with a total of R3000 to spend on whatever I want in the shop. So I dropped the bike rack (I'll put them in my car and just remove the wheels for now) and got extra water bottles plus cages and a few other bits and bobs. Ended up with about an extra R300 credit which the store will give me on future purchases.

I think I might just go for the above. But would love some feedback!