What goes on in your head on a long ride?

Blackheart

During yesterdays 100 miler, I was pondering how the rest of you fill the silence in ones head.

I've found counting pedal strokes to be the surest way of going insane.

In recent years I've taken to the longer races and have found a pattern of singing, playing guitar riffs, being commentated on and having various existential arguments with myself.

For instance, yesterday I began by singing all the Chris Cornell songs I know.

That started to make me sad, so after debating the correlation between extreme artistic talent and dying young, I switched to Dave Gilmour solos.

After finishing Comfortably Numb at Wembley, the commentating began.

It's usually Phil and Paul, because of the comedic potential.

Phil "He's cracked Paul, he's cracked!"

Paul "I don't think so Phil, he doesn't have the acceleration of the pure climbers. He's got to get the turbo spinning up on that big diesel engine, and he'll work his way back at his own tempo. He is after all what we call a diesel in this sport of professional cycling."

Phil "You know what Paul, I think you might be right."

I think I should stop there, before I reveal myself too much.

Curious about how you all pass the time..

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonna get fried for this but on long rides (150km+), I ride with an Ipod.

Tried a couple of times without but beyond above threshold Billy Nomate feeling gets a bit much

I listen to music, but really listen, and try pick up on the various instruments, bass lines ect...

I often listen to the same sone 3 or 4 times in a row.,, And also sometimes imagine myself being on stage performing the song :whistling:  

shower thoughts...

My head can get pretty intense if I'm left alone for too long.

Especially on the climbs. Whether its old tv adverts: Jane Seymore set 2, there's real Japanese outside, I call everything I love redro. Sitcom re-runs: In west Philadelphia born and raised, Classic movie scenes: Whats in the box! Music: Neeeeesan Doooormaaaa....or just plain tv snow. shsshhshshshshshshshshshshshshshs....

"Trap Jannie, trap". Then after about half an hour it becomes "Trap Pietie trap". Another half hour passes, then it becomes "Trap Kosie, trap"; and finally, I keep repeating "I wil surviiiiiiiive!"

Mostly I just ponder what the next upgrade will be though...

Or cursing at the headwind...

Many other things too...

Phil "He's cracked Paul, he's cracked!"

Paul "I don't think so Phil, he doesn't have the acceleration of the pure climbers. He's got to get the turbo spinning up on that big diesel engine, and he'll work his way back at his own tempo. He is after all what we call a diesel in this sport of professional cycling."

Phil "You know what Paul, I think you might be right."

I think I should stop there, before I reveal myself too much.

Too late mate . . .  ;-)

I dream up what I'm going to call the ride on Strava.

The other day cycling past all the large estates in Constantia in the pre dawn and listening to their borehole supplied irrigation systems in syncopated rhythm with my drivetrain I "wrote" a piece of dialogue from a science fiction story set in the years of my dotage post the environmental catastrophe that lies in wait for us, where a charismatic and benevolent grandfather figure (me) astounds young children by describing how people in mansions used to pump water up from the ground to water their gardens.

"They must", says a wide eyed young futurechild, "to grow the food".

"No", my child, "this was to grow flowers. In those days a gardener grew flowers simply to look at. not like today where a gardener must grow our food"

Astonished and revolted look on the young one's face.

I also do "mindfulness" exercises in which I scan my body part by part ... I use the voice of an Oxford psych professor who recorded some meditations "Take your awareness right up to your breath, notice all physical sensations as your breath moves into your chest and out ... what physical sensations are there? Notice them, become aware of them, allow them to be exactly as they are ..."

And then sometimes I tell him to shut the f$%$ up while I HTFU!

I Normally replay the week I have had, in a very right brained state. I am on auto pilot most of the time. So I just turn over all the ideas and events of the past week and often think through what I need to do or whatever is worrying me. It's like a private therapy session.

I have found if I don't ride and get the time when I am in my head whilst on the bike I don't cope well with the following week.

LSD and prayer.... now there is a thing... could get interesting anyway... :) might land up having a Steven Fry discussion with myself....

Hehe, ja nee; should of worded that a bit different hay...