[Event] Stellenbosch Mountain Bike Challenge

Dirtopia MTB Events

From what I can see they will share the same routes. Also, now how do you police a rider riding an e-bike in a normal category?

I can only see tears coming. This thread will be interesting come Sunday and Monday.  :ph34r:

It they do this, it will be just stupid - I am sure that most event organizers will be able to see the risk in doing this, but then, this is Africa, and everything goes.  As it is we have all seen some stupid things at events, making one wonder what cycling experience (or just common sense) some of these organizers actually have... I am all for change, but mixing e-bikes with normal bikes... Eish

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having done this event once when it was still known as Die Burger, and getting held up in the last 500 meters by people WALKING on a single trail over GRASS, then under a bridge crossing a stream that has no flowing water in it...

That was the day I swore to myself that I will for the sake of my sanity not be so stupid as to waste money on this fail again and when I realized the size of the masses who own mid- to top-end MTB's without having the appropriate levels of skill to back themselves.

It is a perfect storm coming

Those Ecstasy baaiks mixed on the same route with the baaiks of sweaty hard-working athletes.

Oe jinne.

Edited by 'Dale

It is a perfect storm coming

Those Ecstasy baaiks mixed on the same route with the baaiks of sweaty hard-working athletes.

Oe jinne.

Perhaps we need to adopt a roadie approach... If everyone shouts 'lazy bastard' when one whizzes by, you can make plans to move over and avoid incident?

© Buttox Industries, 2017

Was to have done the 60 but this is the first race i'm sitting out on my busted ass following the great knysna bike park femoral neck smash,

Donated my entry to another hubber who must now wear team mamil kit and better podium or as management I'll have words.

I don't know who's going to take my place giving the bell curve it's leeward slope but spare me a thought as I experiment with the perfect balance of jack daniels and tramacet.

My thoughts and best wishes to those who have had more serious crashes lately. As for the red mist segment in knysna, this time next year I'll come walk that little kicker that threw me off .... carefully before finishing the trail.

Was to have done the 60 but this is the first race i'm sitting out on my busted ass following the great knysna bike park femoral neck smash,

Donated my entry to another hubber who must now wear team mamil kit and better podium or as management I'll have words.

I don't know who's going to take my place giving the bell curve it's leeward slope but spare me a thought as I experiment with the perfect balance of jack daniels and tramacet.

My thoughts and best wishes to those who have had more serious crashes lately. As for the red mist segment in knysna, this time next year I'll come walk that little kicker that threw me off .... carefully before finishing the trail.

Eish!

Sorry to hear

Get 100s soon, Mamil 

I missed it... What happened at Knysna mamil??

Having done this event once when it was still known as Die Burger, and getting held up in the last 500 meters by people WALKING on a single trail over GRASS, then under a bridge crossing a stream that has no flowing water in it...

That was the day I swore to myself that I will for the sake of my sanity not be so stupid as to waste money on this fail again and when I realized the size of the masses who own mid- to top-end MTB's without having the appropriate levels of skill to back themselves.

To be fair that was probably more due to the law of physics than lack of skills. Way too many people converging on that single trail under the bridge and it only takes one unskilled or troubled oke and you have a bottleneck with people walking

The good news is that with the finish venue at Van der Stel that crappy section has been cut out.

Dude, podiums are only for people who don't have Straaaaava! So don't get your hopes up... ????

Did the mtb and the road race. Was riding at the knysna bike park on wednesday 12th and loving every minute of it until I made a small mistake with big consequences. Broken femoral neck, pins to hold it together. All looks good at 2 week follow up and stats support optimistic outlook for 100 percent recovery and back on bike in 3 to 4 months. Fortunately it wasn't displaced and surgeon got a good alignment of the bone.

As an aside, I can thoroughly recommend the knysna life private hospital where I received the most respectful, compassionate and professional care from every nurse who had anything to do with me. World class.

I still have an entry to the namaqualand challenge and the elgin ride if anyone wants a discounted race entry.

I missed it... What happened at Knysna mamil??

Will look for you and try to wheelsuck you :)

I'm one of the slow guys, will be lucky if I do it in under 5 hours.

Did the mtb and the road race. Was riding at the knysna bike park on wednesday 12th and loving every minute of it until I made a small mistake with big consequences. Broken femoral neck, pins to hold it together. All looks good at 2 week follow up and stats support optimistic outlook for 100 percent recovery and back on bike in 3 to 4 months. Fortunately it wasn't displaced and surgeon got a good alignment of the bone.

As an aside, I can thoroughly recommend the knysna life private hospital where I received the most respectful, compassionate and professional care from every nurse who had anything to do with me. World class.

I still have an entry to the namaqualand challenge and the elgin ride if anyone wants a discounted race entry.

Ouch! Every now and then cycling brings us a harsh reminder of our fragility... Can just imagine your frustration! Hope you will be back on the bike soon!

I am not sure if substitutions are allowed. But I have 75km entry free to a good home. DM me if you are interested. 

Morning,

My husband is interested in doing the 75km. He has previously ridden it. Is it still available.