Nutrition on 100km + rides...

I do long rides often. I found that the High 5 4:1 bar works best for me. And it has some protein in so you can recover a bit for tomorrows ride.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The blueberry flapjacks from Woolworths, with a little honey or peanut butter, are also awesome. Some saltycracks make a good quick snack for long slow rides.

Stop for a burger at a proper butchery somewhere halfway. Racefood, fruit and nuts on top of that. 

Morning all

Question about nutrition on these long days in the saddle rides...

Should one consider taking in some solid food (peanut butter sandwich, banana ect) on rides longer than 100/120km?

On all my previous long rides (longest being 121km) i've always just relied on liquid supplements (little bank sakkies filled with supps and just add them to water bottles on route) and maybe a race food but i'd like to increase the distances to 150km.

(Keep in mind that most of these long rides i do solo and on my MTB)

Thanks in advance  

It's difficult to believe what you're saying, not to mention down right dangerous! 

After a semi-intense 100k I can feel my stomach growling and I need to eat something solid. I don't train with gels. 

My suggestion would be (if you have a fancy device) to keep track of your calories as you go along. To keep going, your calories IN must equal your calories OUT in order to avoid bonking. On the newer Garmins you can set an alert when you've burnt a certain amount of calories, then you just replace maybe 80% of that with your preferred product, knowing obviously what the calorie content is. 

I love peanut butter bars, so I always have one/two on a ride. Then those Far/Fast Bars work as well.  

Don't you guys stop for coffee and a croissant?

That is literally the only reason I ride for that long.....

Right?!

I never do these long rides solo, I belong to an awesome club so we have backup with all kinds of snacks. 

It's difficult to believe what you're saying, not to mention down right dangerous! 

After a semi-intense 100k I can feel my stomach growling and I need to eat something solid. I don't train with gels. 

My suggestion would be (if you have a fancy device) to keep track of your calories as you go along. To keep going, your calories IN must equal your calories OUT in order to avoid bonking. On the newer Garmins you can set an alert when you've burnt a certain amount of calories, then you just replace maybe 80% of that with your preferred product, knowing obviously what the calorie content is. 

I love peanut butter bars, so I always have one/two on a ride. Then those Far/Fast Bars work as well.

I tried this but then realised that the body can only absorbed around 270 to 300 calories an hour bit burns 800 to 900, so not point in trying to put in what you burnt. The rest comes from your reserves, which I have more than enough of.

Interesting article

https://firstendurance.com/how-many-calories-can-i-consume-per-hour/

Let me give my *expert opinion:

We eat to replenish the energy that we would burn on a ride, but our body can go for a certain duration without having the need to eat.

The gels and liquid powders (we add to our bottles) are meant to sustain a certain time period, and are usually digested quickly, vs traditional food stuff that requires a longer time to digest.

I liken these powders and gels to fast foods... quick, convenient, expensive and mostly processed. Perhaps good for racing when we would want "as little as possible" with max effect. But in the long run, fast foods are not good for the body.

For me, a banana and water is good enough for up to 3-3.5 hours (depending on intensity). Recovery food, for me, is more important than taking a 3-course meal with on a ride.

BTW - fruit cake FTW! On those long endurance rides.

*some generalization suggests that we are all experts

Depends on the intensity of the ride

If you're going at race pace then liquid is best. If you're going easier then you will be able to digest solids. Remember the higher in fibre the slower the release of energy. 

I tried this but then realised that the body can only absorbed around 270 to 300 calories an hour bit burns 800 to 900, so not point in trying to put in what you burnt. The rest comes from your reserves, which I have more than enough of.

Interesting article

https://firstendurance.com/how-many-calories-can-i-consume-per-hour/

The article also does not discuss pacing. If you are pushing very hard, blood will be diverted away from the gut (which halts digestion) and the food / gels will just sit in the stomach and cause problems. This is also another consideration.

Edit: 

Just saw jcza's post now. I would look into solids vs liquids as well. 

Edited by EmJayZA

I do long rides often. I found that the High 5 4:1 bar works best for me. And it has some protein in so you can recover a bit for tomorrows ride.

imho this bar taste like cr@p... Had a bite and never again. still have some lying around.

Hmmm...

You will not be able to replace the calories burned with exercise during exercise, you simply cannot absorb it from the GIT that fast, especially when blood is being diverted to the working muscles (depending on intensity, etc.).

There are loads of discussions on here regarding this, the quantities of different sources that can actually be absorbed

biltong, dry wors, far and fast bars, peanuts and raisons, m&m's and jelly babies if it is a fun/training ride...

In a race-faast or farbar every 30mins...