WTF CSA?

Patchelicious

Does anyone know why the rule is in place? I can't think of a valid reason why for it...

It is to 'encourage' race organizers to get their events sanctioned. CSA has been criticized in the past for not enforcing this rule, seems they are now taking action. Sanctioning of events provides some revenue for CSA and for the province. Without this revenue, very little can be done to support the sport. I am not trying to open debate about what CSA, or the provinces do with this revenue. KZN MTB race organizers have been particularly good at getting their events sanctioned, as such KZN Cycling does receive much needed revenue and is able to effectively support the sport in the province. Needless to say, KZN Cycling has great working relationships with local race organizers.   

Edited by ians

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup but I can't think why it would be in place other than some kind of protectionism.

Hmmmm maybe it's designed to allow non pro riders a space to showcase their talents. That would make sense to me.

Pros mopping up church bizarre races stifles growth.

Hit the nail on the head there -  there may be lesser reasons but that is the driving force.  Very old world. Look at the ITU vs WTC rivalry in triathlon.  It's all a play to control the events (and revenue) for the sport.

Whats next, only allowed to train in CSA sanctioned training rides?

Nothing that bad: Just ride in a nappy from now on with a dummy in your mouth and milk in your bottle. :ph34r: 

In $ start for CTCT, you require to be licensed apparently... not that CSA does anything about it or checking if in fact licensed. 

In all honesty, as an SA pro you dont make money from the podium, you make money by just being at the event etc... If you dont get a time etc because of CSA no worries. In fact, CSA 'fining' Nicky above has brought her more exposure than winning the race itself. 

I hear you about the CTCT, but there are always different rules for the CTCT.

I cannot imagine it will be beneficial in the long run for a pro to show CSA the middle finger and ignore their rules, that little one month ban might just come at a very inconvenient time like right before the Cape Epic. Anyway if you are going to risk their wrath do it for something more worthwhile than the Karoo2Coast...

total protectionism.

and scatter gun application of a stupid rule.

Yup but I can't think why it would be in place other than some kind of protectionism.

Hmmmm maybe it's designed to allow non pro riders a space to showcase their talents. That would make sense to me.

Pros mopping up church bizarre races stifles growth.

or bring exposure and credibility to the race.

kids are much more keen to go do a race where one of their heroes are competing.

So a training partner I know enters a road event last weekend.

Vet age cat....but they then have to start 10min later with ladies. So he decides to ride Elite no problem you wld think, I have done it several times myself.

If you want to get your arse kicked, join Elites. NO? I call it suicidal tendencies anyhow... Its our choice to ride against the laaities or not? For the last 5 yrs doing this same event this is what we did no issue. 

Come to the finish, ends up being 2nd "ELITE" the guys in front 3 x U23 riders and 1 elite...

So he gets DQ'd as he is riding elites with a vets licence....

BUT in mountain biking a PRO that's 30 plus will take your position, say 3rd Elite and also ,1st subvet, very GREY areas if you ask me...anyhoo funny how the two scenes rulings go.

yup, lost several podium positions and cash prizes because of the pro's also qualifying for subvet etc

Vet age cat....but they then have to start 10min later with ladies. So he decides to ride Elite no problem you wld think, I have done it several times myself.

If you want to get your arse kicked, join Elites. NO? I call it suicidal tendencies anyhow... Its our choice to ride against the laaities or not? For the last 5 yrs doing this same event this is what we did no issue. 

Come to the finish, ends up being 2nd "ELITE" the guys in front 3 x U23 riders and 1 elite...

BUT in mountain biking a PRO that's 30 plus will take your position, say 3rd Elite and also ,1st subvet, very GREY areas if you ask me...anyhoo funny how the two scenes rulings go.

yup, lost several podium positions and cash prizes because of the pro's also qualifying for subvet etc

I didn't understand any of this but would really like to. Care to dumb it down please?

Did someone voluntarily compete in the wrong batch for a different category and was DQ'ed?

Edited by Dirkitech

:thumbup: Go Nicky go. What a fantastic and stylish way to protest :clap:

How about CSA donating those R750 fines to the same charity??

OK please stop rolling around on the floor it was just a thought.

https://www.cyclingsa.com/mountain-bike-press/2018/6/27/non-sanctioned-cycling-events-participation

BENEFITS OF SANCTIONING FOR EVENT ORGANISERS

Cycling SA offers benefit to event organisers who sanction their events.

This include, but are not limited to, public liability insurance cover (free of charge) which is accepted by all large landowners,

marketing through our calendar (we are currently working on improved ways to increase communication regarding events),

trained event officials to ensure compliance with rules for racing,

technical support (advise on routes, traffic management, event information, preparation of safety file), continually keeping cycling a high profile sport in SA.

Cycling SA medical policy also provides assistance to members that may be injured at an event and transported by ambulance away from the event.

Please note that if a qualified Cycling South Africa Commissaire is however present at the non-sanctioned event, they are posing as an official illegally and Cycling SA cannot be held liable for any post-race issues that may arise.