Telkom 947 Cycle Challenge - #CC2017

Bonus

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no words for this oke. Clearly knows so much about cycling.

The joy of social media. Communicating with people who you'd normally have nothing to do with......

Edited by Fat Boab

Hi All,

I completed my first 94 in 6:06.

Have only been cycling for the last 2 months but have been spinning since the

Beginning of the year.

[ ............. ]

See you all next year, and I will be looking for a sub 5.

Respect, you are a legend!

They say cycling is like wrestling a Gorilla, you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the Gorilla is tired. On Sunday you tamed the Gorilla and I can assure you it gets infinitely more rewarding from here onwards :thumbup: .

Great day out on the bike...First lap 2:30, second lap 3:35 (at a nice pace) with some tequila and beer stops along the way...

Now you only bragging - lol ( Welldone )

We've always had the 6 hour challenge

2 laps in 6 hours. Normally it's a 2:30/3:30 split.

Sjoe that would be a good achievement. I am keen to try that. 

Sjoe that would be a good achievement. I am keen to try that. 

Do it! Most things seem impossible until you do them :-)

I cramped like a bastard the last 20 or 30km but did it. This was 2014 I think. Hang on - was that the old route? If it was I guess I have to come back to SA for the 94.7 to redo it right?

Hey all,

This was my first time riding 94.7 properly, I have a history of mechanicals and sickness with this ride. I was shocked at the complete lack of bunches. I caught one bunch by Glenhove which disappeared at the Killarny bends water stop. I tried so hard to form bunches, told guys to jump on my wheel etc but know one seemed interested. I never had the earliest starting time but from Q i would have expected some team work. It was a TT all the way.

Is this normal for the 94.7? Ive done at least 10 races over my short riding time and done alot of club rides and cant understand this?

Anyways, the walk to the start and the gravel and sand at the start sucks but the organisation was brilliant. As for the router, after an 80km TT the last 10kms suck but are very rewarding. Is it my favorite race, no, but will I be back next year, damb straight, hopefully earlier, faster and with some bunches

There are strong riders in every bunch, seeded there for whatever reason (1st road race, etc.). There were people going close to 3 hours in all of the very last batches. For instance, 5 riders went under 3:15 in MM, the last batch to go off.

Point is, you won't find bunches that far back, but there'll definitely be a few wheels to follow towards the front of the batch. You will inevitably spend some time on your own.

I started in G and even there the 'bunches' consist only of a couple of riders riding together.

Edited by Squier

I can actually explain this.

Remember your time only starts when yout chip crosses the line and finishes again when it crosses.

Now I started Macsteel right at the back of the bunch. So the guys in front of the bunch had already been cycling for 20-30 seconds by the time I crossed the line. In the sprint for the finish I was third across the Line. But because I started at the back in reality my cycling time was actually slightly less than the guy who was just ahead of me so I was placed second in the results for the batch.

You aren't being placed on who crosses the line first. But based on who has the shortest ride time. So of he started way back in the bunch while you were near the front. That means his actual ride time would be a bit lower than yours if you were close together at the line.

This theory doesn't hold as they guy in my example started in front of me :)

Hi All,

I completed my first 94 in 6:06.

Have only been cycling for the last 2 months but have been spinning since the

Beginning of the year.

I was 134 kgs back in Jan and managed to cut my weight down to 109 by the time of the race. This time last year if anyone told me I would be doing this in 12 months time I would

Have laughed at them.

My Daughter challenged me to do it, and we rode together most of the way, and only when I was struggling up the last 4 ks did I tell her to go and I will catch her, as I needed to stop to catch my breath. Stern City is a killer, especially after I had crunched my way up Ceder without stopping.

My Daughter and I could have done at least a 5:30 but she suffered a rear tyre failure and in order to fix it took us around 30 minutes of added time.

I did the Tshwane Classic as part of my training along with at least 120 ks per week and did one long 100 k training ride a week before the 94.7.

I rode for a charity as I was told i could get an earlier start time, and was in DD.

My first impressions of this race are that it was well organized, tough but very social.

I got fed up with cyclists not getting into the right gearing on the climbs and on many occasions I had to bleed off speed in order to to cause a collision.

To the guy who decided to walk in the middle of the road through Steyn City, that was very inconsiderate to the other riders.

Will I be back, if you asked me after the race I would have said no, but here I am 2 days later already planning what I need to do to get an earlier start time.

Either I have lost my marbles or the bug has bitten....I think the latter.

See you all next year, and I will be looking for a sub 5.

Well done for taking part, and completing the event. You are one of many that we need to keep in the sport, if only for a few races per year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can actually explain this.

Remember your time only starts when yout chip crosses the line and finishes again when it crosses.

Now I started Macsteel right at the back of the bunch. So the guys in front of the bunch had already been cycling for 20-30 seconds by the time I crossed the line. In the sprint for the finish I was third across the Line. But because I started at the back in reality my cycling time was actually slightly less than the guy who was just ahead of me so I was placed second in the results for the batch.

You aren't being placed on who crosses the line first. But based on who has the shortest ride time. So of he started way back in the bunch while you were near the front. That means his actual ride time would be a bit lower than yours if you were close together at the line.

I have been told otherwise before. The entire group gets the same start time, doesn't matter when your chip crosses the line. I had a query once and that was what the timing company told me. They said the start line mat is just to make sure you started in the correct group. If you started in a higher group they pick it up and DQ you. This was not racetec though.

My quickest ever was a 3h41 TT, not one wheel to hook into the whole way. It was tough.

EDIT: It was the old route

Edited by Jigghead