Smart indoor trainer - which one?

marie-louise

one response...

Wahoo Kickr + Wahoo RPM Cadence sensor + Wahoo TickR HR Strap (using Bluetooth)

+

iPad or Samsung phone or pad

+

TrainerRoad

G

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fanie, my bru, china, WTYDD (what the yankee doodle day) are you doing on an IDT ?? You post all these vids of riding round the eastern cape for 260 days! Are you saying they fake?

PS beers wine whiskey on me. Tacx SUCKS bollocks.

:P  :P 

it's for the quick weekday rides (quality over quantity) and the rainy days.

but I get gatvol of the IDT quickly then I head outside for some pics 

then there are days like this when i need to do a long ride and it's been raining for 3 days straight

https://www.instagram.com/p/g6U0JBvqeXMwWegzslg0/

Swiss part of the reason for the tacx choice was the fact that the app was free! Access and everything else was free. And then of course you could load your own GPX routes. The software was easy to use. Easy to get your routes on easy to follow etc. Getting the software to to talk to the unit so that it can be calibrated ... might be easier to ask Pik Botha and Juju to waltz matilda 

You did not have to pay monthly ransom fees for the rest of your natural life to some software company.

I think the cheapest option on Rouvy is $6.25 per month, provided you sign up for a year.

That's about R80 per month (depending on what Zuma/Malema/Trump spews).

I tried the new Tacx app for a while too, but went back to Rouvy - the Tacx app didn't like the weird aspect ratio of my tablet, plus it crashed too often or dropped connection to the trainer mid-ride (at least I didn't have problems getting it to connect, via ANT+)

I think the cheapest option on Rouvy is $6.25 per month, provided you sign up for a year.

That's about R80 per month (depending on what Zuma/Malema/Trump spews).

I tried the new Tacx app for a while too, but went back to Rouvy - the Tacx app didn't like the weird aspect ratio of my tablet, plus it crashed too often or dropped connection to the trainer mid-ride (at least I didn't have problems getting it to connect, via ANT+)

When you use an ELEMNT/ELEMNT Bolt with a KICKR or KICKR SNAP you can:

- Import a GPX file and ride the route on the KICKR. This will take height, weight and the elevation profile into consideration and adjust resistance accordingly. I.E you can do the 94.7 on your bike and follow visually on your bike PC. 

- Import a Strava segment or Route onto your ELEMNT/BOLT and relive that route. The KICKR will change resistance as if you are on that route. 

- Connect with TrainingPeaks or My Training Day. Upload your training files to the ELEMNT/BOLT and do your coaching session while the bike PC controles the resistance. 

- ERG Mode on the ELEMNT/ELEMNT BOLT can change target wattage as you need in a more manual way. 

All of this. Except for the TrainingPeaks/MyTrainingDay subscription is free of charge and "smart".

My issue is what to choose between the Snap and the Kickr? If I go for the Snap, I would definitely purchase a cheap rear wheel and rear Cassette - bumping up the price by another R1500.

What other advantages does the Kickr have that justifies the price difference?

Is the Direct Drive more accurate and smooth than what the Snap would be? 

I have the Snap, and am happy with the purchase. I pair it with my Samsung, Fenix 3 (broadcast HR), Wahoo Cadence sensor, and TrainerRoad. It's a whole different beast, and am pretty beat after these sessions compared to the WattBike. 

Just so you are prepared, if you have been training on the WattBikes, your FTP will drop by quite a bit. The power is not consistent between the two. Had a drop of about 25 watts. It doesn't mean anything at the end of the day, but was still disappointing to see lower numbers. 

Heyo, I'm looking to get something for the winter months. I'm going to use a dedicated bike so it can be direct or wheel on.

My only criteria is that I be able to set it to a wattage, ala ERG mode. I dont need it to change resistance automatically but I'd like to be able to set it at a wattage (as opposed to a resitance level) due to the fact that the bike I'd use wont have a PM.

Top of my list at the moment just in terms of the price to features ratio is the KICKR SNAP.

Any suggestions?

Heyo, I'm looking to get something for the winter months. I'm going to use a dedicated bike so it can be direct or wheel on.

My only criteria is that I be able to set it to a wattage, ala ERG mode. I dont need it to change resistance automatically but I'd like to be able to set it at a wattage (as opposed to a resitance level) due to the fact that the bike I'd use wont have a PM.

Top of my list at the moment just in terms of the price to features ratio is the KICKR SNAP.

Any suggestions?

I would go with this. I dont have any kickr unit but the interaction with the staff (buycycle.co.za) have really swayed my choice away from other brands. There has been an open and easy discussion, they were open to talking about how other brands compare without dissing them. They really just wanted to help. And for me that says alot.

I have been trying to make a decision around getting rid of the tacx flow (soon to be in the classifieds) and in taking to the guys at buycycle.co.za you just get impression that there is great back up and support. And they definitely did not push the most expensive on me. Again they really just wanted to match what I wanted with the most suitable product. 

I will be pulling the trigger soon on, just need to chat to MrsB and decide. So without actually having a product, based purely on the support, kickr wins through buycycle.co.za

Good morning everyone!! Happy FRIDAY!!!

Bicycle Power Trading and key retailers are running a CycleOps Winter Trade-in Promotion from the 18th May (TODAY) - 28th May 2018. 

Clients can look forward to receiving a 20% discount off ANY CycleOps Indoor Trainers when they trade in ANY indoor trainer *subject to being in fair working condition. 

T's&C's apply.

Contact us today www.cycleops.co.za to not miss out!!

Good morning everyone!! Happy FRIDAY!!!

Bicycle Power Trading and key retailers are running a CycleOps Winter Trade-in Promotion from the 18th May (TODAY) - 28th May 2018. 

Clients can look forward to receiving a 20% discount off ANY CycleOps Indoor Trainers when they trade in ANY indoor trainer *subject to being in fair working condition. 

T's&C's apply.

Contact us today www.cycleops.co.za to not miss out!!

That's a very good deal, but it still makes the hammer expensive, even with the discount. 

I love my hammer, but trying to get one for my wife.

That's a very good deal, but it still makes the hammer expensive, even with the discount. 

R14 995.00 for a Hammer with a cassette (after trade-in discount and a cassette purchased from CWC cycles @ R599) sounds like a good deal to me. 

2-year warranty and built in cadence both USP's.

why don't you get an Elite Direto - R 15 999.00 and also comes with a cassette.

Elite Direto has a power meter with 12 strain gauges made by SRM,  has a pedaling analysis with a peanut graph and you can download 1000's of routes and even record your own morning route.

I was offered a demo unit to test,  complete with an iPad so that I can could make sure it worked for me before I committed to buying it.

Any suggestions?

Kickr Snap or CycleOps Magnus, in that price range. From what I've seen here on the hub, you should have excellent support with either of those.

Thanks guys, I think I'm pretty sold on the Kickr Snap.

Now I just need to wait for a special, fingers crossed

Archived