Smart indoor trainer - which one?

marie-louise

Anybody that could maybe comment on the effect these direct drive trainers have on your frames.

The chilly season is approaching FAST in the UK and I would like to get my wife sorted on one to train with on the real miserable days....just concerned the carbon frame would not take the punch? 

I haven't noticed any effect on my bike frame.

I wouldn't expect there to be any impact long term either.  

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really wanted to test out my new TACX Vortex Smart yesterday I bought from CWC, but to my surprise the two bolts I need to assemble it was not in the box

I haven't noticed any effect on my bike frame.

I wouldn't expect there to be any impact long term either.  

Then this is it for the winter period coming up.....investing most probably in the Flux

Then this is it for the winter period coming up.....investing most probably in the Flux

I have the flux.  Does the job at a good price...

Exactly, the use of a PowerTap (hub, pedals or chainring) and a basic trainer like a Fluid 2 will be perfect for doing interval training with Zwift, TrainerRoad or CycleOps Virtual Training. TrainerRoad however may be better off as they have a variety of programs / workouts.

I still think that the majority of the IDT market love controlled resistance and doing routes be it Zwift or CycleOps Virtual Training. 

It would be very interesting to hear what the Hubbers use most, routes or workouts ?

I used to do the routes on my Powerbeam but lately I use the Rouvy app to create my own interval workouts to suit my training program.

If you refer to control resistance, you implying ERG mode, I love it and only way I use my Kickr.

I do the peddling like I would out on the road/mtb an the Kickr controls the resistance like the nature would by giving me up hills.

What effect it has, what I'm exercising, I can control, attack by reading coach Chad's instructions (TrainerRoad) on the screen, or when I just some workouts myself, I know by lowering my cadence I go to a more muscular workout (which ends as strength), and upping the cadence I do a more cardiac powered workout.

G

I used to do the routes on my Powerbeam but lately I use the Rouvy app to create my own interval workouts to suit my training program.

If you refer to control resistance, you implying ERG mode, I love it and only way I use my Kickr.

I do the peddling like I would out on the road/mtb an the Kickr controls the resistance like the nature would by giving me up hills.

What effect it has, what I'm exercising, I can control, attack by reading coach Chad's instructions (TrainerRoad) on the screen, or when I just some workouts myself, I know by lowering my cadence I go to a more muscular workout (which ends as strength), and upping the cadence I do a more cardiac powered workout.

G

Exactly. I only do power intervals and threshold rides. I presume ERG mode is default as I've never changed anything even when I rode routes. I don't have to adjust anything or change gears and it's very consistent. My coach gives me a session and it takes me a few minutes to either edit or create a new workout. He also recommends different cadence for certain intervals, although because I'm not on a wheel off system my cadence is a bit limited by tyre slip.

I dream of getting a stand alone bike like a phantom 5 but for now I'm happy with the power beam. I wish I could get an app to create Erg mode programs which was not internet based as until I want to upload the session I don't need it. Virtual Training or now 'Rouvy' is great but I'm paying for features I don't use.

Exactly. I only do power intervals and threshold rides. I presume ERG mode is default as I've never changed anything even when I rode routes. I don't have to adjust anything or change gears and it's very consistent. My coach gives me a session and it takes me a few minutes to either edit or create a new workout. He also recommends different cadence for certain intervals, although because I'm not on a wheel off system my cadence is a bit limited by tyre slip.

I dream of getting a stand alone bike like a phantom 5 but for now I'm happy with the power beam. I wish I could get an app to create Erg mode programs which was not internet based as until I want to upload the session I don't need it. Virtual Training or now 'Rouvy' is great but I'm paying for features I don't use.

Hi you can have a look at Perf Pro ,they have a 2 week trail period.

You can use their libary or create your own program and they do support the powerbeam.

It is a once off purchase and you only need the internet to download the software.

It would be very interesting to hear what the Hubbers use most, routes or workouts ? 

I'm a Zwift addict! I primarily ride with workouts of between 60 and 90 minutes. Occasionally, I manage to fit in a race, but they are often at times that don't fit my early morning training.

I love the controlled resistance from the Cyclops Power Sync, because I don't have to think about the changes in resistance for either workouts or route changes.

Which Program you use?

I'd highly recommend TrainerRoad. New workouts are easy to create.

G

Hi you can have a look at Perf Pro ,they have a 2 week trail period.

You can use their libary or create your own program and they do support the powerbeam.

It is a once off purchase and you only need the internet to download the software.

I have just checked it out and unless i'm being a bit dumb it runs with ant+. I think my Power beam is Bluetooth. It might be a Power sync come to think of it. I bought it as an ex demo and it syncs as both on the app. I currently use bluetooth though.

Take a look at this app if you using android and bluetooth http://icw.pierrox.net/wordpress/icw-pro-workout-descriptions/ (Trainer needs to be ANT+ FE-C protocol)

You can create erg workout with a number of software such as http://www.73summits.com/ergdb/edit.php or use the workout builder in traininpeaks, then you can export to your own personal library of workouts to your hard drive and import to ICW.

Alternatively as you are using Rouvy, create your workout in trainingpeaks for that day then click on the traininpeaks tab in Rouvy, it will automatically import the workout you created so that you can do the workout https://support.rouvy.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004259089-TrainingPeaks

• 2 weeks later...

Bkool has a new one coming out in October that looks quite interesting (and expensive).

Direct-drive, Bluetooth and ANT+, the most quietest thing ever, etc etc. But the design, and the fact that it allows a more natural rocking motion, is what might really set it apart from the growing list of other options.

http://www.bkool.com/en/turbo-trainer/bkool-smart-air

Archived