S-Works worth it?

ScaredShiftless

Hi Hubbers

I am in the market to upgrade my 2014 Spez Stumpjumper Expert to a new 2018 S-Works Camber.

Happy riding!

If you don't mind me asking what are you looking to gain by "upgrading"? What else does one need in a bike? Asking this as I'm actually going "less" on my current bike.

PS. If it was my money I would rather go for the Expert and pimp the hell out of it!!!

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buying the S-Works won't make your tottie any bigger. 

#justsaying #smalltottieproblems

Everyone is saying "get the S-works if you can afford it" at the same time as saying that there's no perceptible difference with the S-works frame.  So what is the point then?  

Everyone is saying "get the S-works if you can afford it" at the same time as saying that there's no perceptible difference with the S-works frame.  So what is the point then?  

So you can say you have A "S-works" 

According to my wife my S-works made my tottie bigger.

Just kidding..or am I...

Hi Hubbers

I am in the market to upgrade my 2014 Spez Stumpjumper Expert to a new 2018 S-Works Camber.

I have always wanted to own a model from the S-Works line-up and the new 2018 model looks fantastic! Spez SA won't be bringing in the (complete build) 2018 S-Works Stumpy so it has to be the Camber.

Where have you seen this?

If you're looking for s-works, a few shops are getting rid of 2017 stock at less 25%. Then again, you'd have less bragging rights, but still more than you would have with an expert model. But if you push your bicycle down some technical bits, or better yet, even fall, or just turn around altogether at the trailhead, I'm sure they'd let you join their esteemed s-works clan.

JK

I went for the Expert Stumpy and upgraded the wheels and a few other bits and pieces, still spent 40k less than if I went for S-Works...  but that is not the reason why I did it. 

I prefer the Carbon used in the non S-Works models because it is a bit thicker and stronger (I am a fatty), and I have found that when falling my rear triangle is more likely to make contact with rocks than the front triangle - and I would rather alu makes contact with rocks than carbon - and it has happened on more that one occasion where I thanked my lucky stars I was not on a S-Works. (This is of course my justification because I cannot afford an S-Works).

BUT... if I was not a fatty, and I had the money, I would buy an S-Works no questions asked. Like many have said, you cannot justify it (not to a rational person in any case), so if that is what your heart yearns for - buy it. If there is one thing I have learnt on this journey obsession called cycling, is that if you buy something based on saving money, you will eventually sell the cheaper option (lose 40% of the money spent there), and then buy what you initially wanted anyway.

Show us some pics of the S-Works when you eventually buy it! 

Yes it will... ask any Ferrari driver

Don't tell my wife please!

Just buy the S-Works... it like asking people who own an Toyota if you should get the 4x2 or 4x4... costs more sure, but if you get the cheaper version, you will always be left wondering... is it better? (What if i get stuck  :eek: ) Everyone has a different perspective on which model of bike to buy, so only you will know if it makes a difference.... best thing is to test ride each model and then decide

Good advice. However, it is surprisingly difficult to get S-Works models to test ride... Much easier test driving a R150k car than a R150k bicycle... :thumbdown: 

If you don't mind me asking what are you looking to gain by "upgrading"? What else does one need in a bike? Asking this as I'm actually going "less" on my current bike.

PS. If it was my money I would rather go for the Expert and pimp the hell out of it!!!

I am hoping that that upgraded bike will be a bit lighter for a start. Then also the 1x12 Eagle as opposed to the 2x10 I'm running now. And the wider rims would also be new for me.

Precisely what I'm wondering...

Where have you seen this?

If you're looking for s-works, a few shops are getting rid of 2017 stock at less 25%. Then again, you'd have less bragging rights, but still more than you would have with an expert model. But if you push your bicycle down some technical bits, or better yet, even fall, or just turn around altogether at the trailhead, I'm sure they'd let you join their esteemed s-works clan.

JK

I cannot reveal my sources at this point... :whistling:  There are actually no 2017 S-Works Camber or Stumpjumper models (M or L sizes) available through Spez stores in SA as of this week.

Saying that people buy Sworks to make their totties bigger, probably says more about your tottie than theirs. #justsaying 

Archived