Cyclist down between Hazyview & Graskop

Tatt

But that's the problem, there is NO serious repercussions.

i think spending 1.5 years (2% of your life if you live to 75) is a very good start.

yes it should be longer, but its a start.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pathetic.

There should be an automatic sentence (5 years? 10??) for a hit-and-run. No arguments. No debate.

i nearly hit a begger a few years ago.

he stepped backwards bowing and saying thank you after accepting money from another motorist.

keep in mind there are times when it is out of your control.

in this case, yes i agree the motorist was drunk and operating a unroadworthy vehicle. he also left the scene.

he deserves far worse than what he got

Well shooting your girlfriend on the toilette and saying oops I thought it was a burglar does not book you that much longer in comparison.

I agree with you.  The punishment for traffic accidents is a joke and does not make people think twice about their actions.

That was thanks to expensive lawyers on the defence was it not?

My point is look what goes into getting a firearm license (quite rightly) compared to a drivers.

i think spending 1.5 years (2% of your life if you live to 75) is a very good start.

yes it should be longer, but its a start.

He will not sit that long.  That is the problem.

That was thanks to expensive lawyers on the defence was it not?

My point is look what goes into getting a firearm license (quite rightly) compared to a drivers.

Yip getting a drivers license is waaay to easy.

This is not enough, but its the first time I have actually seen/remember that a cyclist killer actually does jail time.

How many other killers have spent a night in jail yet?

This is not enough, but its the first time I have actually seen/remember that a cyclist killer actually does jail time.

How many other killers have spent a night in jail yet?

Because it is the first time I have heard where someone actually admitted fault.  All the others will blame everything/one from the victim to his mother and so on and get a good lawyer.

i nearly hit a begger a few years ago.

he stepped backwards bowing and saying thank you after accepting money from another motorist.

keep in mind there are times when it is out of your control.

in this case, yes i agree the motorist was drunk and operating a unroadworthy vehicle. he also left the scene.

he deserves far worse than what he got

Hit-and-RUN.

There should be an automatic presumption that leaving the scene is a crime in itself for which jail time is due.

Not for an accident where the driver does NOT leave and is around to a) assist the victim and b) be tested.

Accidents happen, yes. But this thing of driving off or running away... eh eh.

Hit-and-RUN.

There should be an automatic presumption that leaving the scene is a crime in itself for which jail time is due.

Not for an accident where the driver does NOT leave and is around to a) assist the victim and b) be tested.

Accidents happen, yes. But this thing of driving off or running away... eh eh.

I have a buddy who's an advocate with a good brain. Next time I'll see him I'll ask him what his view is of automatic sentences etc and will feedback. He's always got some interesting views (particularly after a beer or two...), just out of interest to some perhaps...

Edited by Fat Boab

Because it is the first time I have heard where someone actually admitted fault.  All the others will blame everything/one from the victim to his mother and so on and get a good lawyer.

Yes, I know.

But its not really to the point I was making.

This guy didn't admit fault because he is a hero, his first version of the story was very different. He was obviously told that he would not get away with it, especially seeing as its a higher profile case.

Has Burry's killer see a jail cell yet?

Yes, I know.

But its not really to the point I was making.

This guy didn't admit fault because he is a hero, his first version of the story was very different. He was obviously told that he would not get away with it, especially seeing as its a higher profile case.

Has Burry's killer see a jail cell yet?

I think he won an appeal for a lighter sentence.  Was the charge not downgraded to manslaughter after being found guilty on murder?  Not sure.

I think he won an appeal for a lighter sentence.  Was the charge not downgraded to manslaughter after being found guilty on murder?  Not sure.

Not sure, I'll chat Mandy and ask her.

It's not an accident when you're drunk. He took a risk and tried to get away with it. Minimum 10 years, that's the gamble when you drink and drive

• 2 weeks later...

Saw it on FB.

REMINDER: 
Organised by ABSA Pride in Greg Anderson’s name, a tribute by the Pride riders and team. All welcome, if possible it is requested to wear an item of red clothing and to email the RSVP as an indication of attendance.

Date: August 6

Johannesburg: Northern Farms
Cape Town: Jonkershoek

Time: 7am for 7.30am
RSVP: miap@playmakers.co.za

Source: Tread - Mountain Biking with Soul

Something that has been bothering me this last week. We're all outraged and want harsher penalties and more stringent enforcement, rightly so. 

But this isn't a motorist/cyclist/runner/drunk etc thing. It's a behaviour problem, don't blame the lack of accountability, it's an attitude amongst ourselves overall that's basically '**** you' on the road. 

Nothing brought this home more than when driving to van Gaalen for the Ashburton race on the weekend. The driving was incredibly reckless by so many people and especially those who should, who DO, know better.
Speeding, tailgating, dangerous overtaking. You name it, and on a road that is dangerous enough as it is. 

A guy so close that I could not see his lights in my mirrors, and then overtaking on the section by Chicken Pie. You my friend in your black hatchback, with clip on bike rack, wearing a cycling cap with an upturned peak. You need a solid upturned hand.

Then there we all are on the start line giving a minutes silence.