proposed school in Noordhoek with 600 students is going to fill Chapman's Peak drive with cars..

Sue Z-F

Generation Schools owns the property and has applied for rezoning. According to News24 an enviromental group called Toadnuts is opposed to development as they think it would interfere with leopard toad breeding from nearby pond if traffic increased.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

True that school is higher priority than cycling or whatever other recreational activity.

But on the flipside I don't think that the added traffic congestion due to a new a new school is a trivial thing - can the roads handle 600(?) extra cars during peak morning hours? Days are gone where you can just plop down a new school and sort out the other impacts later.

Similar issue in the northern suburbs where a new school is planned in Vredekloof (plus other housing developments) - both are desperately needed but Brackenfell Boulevard can hardly handle the current traffic as is, this is a f^&* up waiting to happen..

And then more schoolkids can cycle to school on a scenic route. It's what we've all secretly wanted. More people on bicycles!!

Generation Schools owns the property and has applied for rezoning. According to News24 an enviromental group called Toadnuts is opposed to development as they think it would interfere with leopard toad breeding from nearby pond if traffic increased.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Local/Peoples-Post/locals-croak-on-school-plan-20170710

great headline!

Their suggestion is of course to divide the 2.6ha plot into 61 acre properties (look forward to seeing the maths behind that one). That would definitely solve the congestion issues.

and a quick google search on Toadnuts leads you to the two founders, one of which is a montessori school teacher, going by the name of......Suzie

I guess that could be the original poster? My dog in this fight is that I live in the general area, and would love to see more good schools going up. So on principle, I'd like to see it happening.

I am in favour!

.... for your selfish community to donate the land where you keep your horses for this proposed development/school.

What arrogance of you to come to this forum pledging their support in advancing your own selfish lifestyle.

It sucks big time!

There are more important things you can muscle your community to support.

Wont be as bad as getting passed by a Noordehook mommy with a horse box taking up the whole road  :ph34r:

+1 

Wait, how does adding a school increase the traffic? If anything it would decrease the traffic as more "locals" could walk/cycle to school rather than get taken over Ou Kaapse. 

Maybe they are worried that the biology class will use the toads to dissect them :P

and protecting the toad colony in the cape flats?

or is it only IMBY that counts in terms of conservation...

That said, any new development needs to scrutinise especially with regard to it's impact on infrastructure. Cape Town has a Serious traffic problem and water shortage which can both be attributed, in part, to increased development without Improvements in infrastructure.

All development that requires new water infrastructure needs to be put on hold until the water situation is alleviated. It should have been put on hold long ago. Disaster is looming yet development is continuing regardless making the situation worse. The reality now is that there is not enough water to last through the summer.

All development that requires new water infrastructure needs to be put on hold until the water situation is alleviated. It should have been put on hold long ago. Disaster is looming yet development is continuing regardless making the situation worse. The reality now is that there is not enough water to last through the summer.

But it has rained on both me weekend rides in the past two weeks...

I think they need to sort out the current settlements there before adding more. Same with Hout Bay.

Absolutely. 

Plenty more NIMBYism going on there when they identify land to build on, though. 

But it has rained on both me weekend rides in the past two weeks...

Reality check: It is 18 July, halfway through the rainy season, and the dams are at 26% - 16% usable water left. Only a biblical flood will bring enough water to last the summer now. But don`t worry Patricia and other Christians are praying for this so all will be good :devil:

My Guess = b) 1868

Pop quiz:

Oukaapseweg was first used as a pass/route in:

a)1768

b)1868

c)1918

d)1968

Reality check: It is 18 July, halfway through the rainy season, and the dams are at 26% - 16% usable water left. Only a biblical flood will bring enough water to last the summer now. But don`t worry Patricia and other Christians are praying for this so all will be good :devil:

Well it was only 15% few weeks ago so the prayers must be helping  :devil: