• < 60 rpm
    • 60 - 69 rpm
    • 70 - 79 rpm
    • 80 - 89 rpm
    • 90 - 99 rpm
    • 100 - 109 rpm
    • 110 and up
    • What's cadence?

interesting thread .... hoping to learn from the experienced.

I have only been tracking my cadence for the last few weeks.

on two rides I tried to ride to keep to a specific cadence .... seems like this may well be an interesting training method - comments welcome

as for just enjoying the ride, and tracking the cadence.  Saturday's ride my friend and I were both tracking our stats, and comparing as we go along - both NEW to these gadgets, and just taking note of the numbers ....

He - running mid to low 70 cadence, nice power strokes ....

Me - running mid to low 80 cadence, saving my knees .... for the hills I would push up the cadence on the approach, then step down the gears to keep at 95 to 100.

Pushing the cadence too high, for too long would ramp up my heart rate, and then short of breath ..... twice I used this data to just drop down the speed (once at the top of the hill, and once for the last few meters), never walked, just kept a lower cadence until my heart rate dropped back and I caught my breath

again - would appreciate feedback from those that actually understands the data and the biologics behind it all.

getting back in shape AND protecting bust knees are "fun" .... but 11 months into it, HAPPY !!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No they don't, they have a cadence that is comfortable to them. There is no optimum and 90 definitely isnt it, neither is 75, 80 or 110rpm.

So you have an opinion do you?

Interesting topic this. When i spin at the gym i am around 90rpm, but on my bike i am on 80rpm. Would be nice if someone that has been cycling for a while could way in.

Well, a couple of things could be causing this.

Firstly, of you're talking about road, the variations and changes in gradient could be the cause. You might just not be in the absolute right gear to keep your cadence high. I had to learn to do this too.

The other thing it could be is that your device is not set up correctly. When you set up a cadence sensor, you should NOT include zeros as this will incorporate your time freewheeling into the average reading. If you're on a Power meter, Include zeros so you get a better sense of the total average wattage for the ride.

Mtb? No fecking clue why it could be lower than the gym, but possibly terrain or crank length related?

Can I suggest you expand the question, to ask the same question for road and for mtb'ers.
you will probably find the roadies by average higher cadence, and the MTB'ers lower.

maybe even extend to a 3rd category, whats your avg on a indoor trainer if you have one.

G

Edited by awesme

MTB: 70-80 on MTB'ing riding.

MTB: 75-85 on outrides with lots of flat long gravel.

Indoor trainer: 90-95, to be presies, 92/93.

G

Interesting topic this. When i spin at the gym i am around 90rpm, but on my bike i am on 80rpm. Would be nice if someone that has been cycling for a while could way in.

Maybe you should find out who you chirping and what he does before that comment.

G

There is a bit more science behind it. Plenty of studies too.

Do a bit of navorsing you might just be surprised.

Maybe you should find out who you chirping and what he does before that comment.

G

You are right, but not everybody knows who John is and what he does. To be fair that chirp, comment however correct it may be didn't allude to his field of expertise or make mention of studies etc. :)

Although there may not be one optimum cadence for all, I do believe that most people are not riding at their optimum cadence and instead tend to push heavy gears at a much lower cadence.

and he will never...

G

You are right, but not everybody knows who John is and what he does. To be fair that chirp, comment however correct it may be didn't allude to his field of expertise or make mention of studies etc. :)

agree

G

Although there may not be one optimum cadence for all, I do believe that most people are not riding at their optimum cadence and instead tend to push heavy gears at a much lower cadence.

No they don't, they have a cadence that is comfortable to them. There is no optimum and 90 definitely isnt it, neither is 75, 80 or 110rpm. 

No optimum? So what's energetically optimal cadence?

mostly M-89 but sometimes and it depends on how my legs feel I'll go lower to get my HR lower.

Then I also go to 100rpm. No best zone here as it all depends on how I feel at that moment.

No optimum? So what's energetically optimal cadence?

I'm pretty sure he meant to say there is no universally optimum cadence. but IIRC, studies have indicated that if the bike fit is good, most cyclists perform at their physiologically optimum levels when the cadence is higher, say in the range 85 - 95 rpm. However, there are always exceptions, and ppl need to find what works for them. Based on my personal experience, I think the effect of crank length is often overlooked because many riders still get hooked on the longer crank is a better crank 'philosophy.