Braai etiket...

MJ the Expat

Never would have occurred to me to cook that on a Weber.

How does it compare to the oven? (Besides saving a ton on electricity)

A Weber is basically a stove with less cleaning up afterwards.

I am unable to think of one thing which cannot be cooked in a Weber,

Turkey is far better in a Weber for example and much less hassle.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So something I'm struggling to find online, but when you create something like a chimichurri, how should you season the meat?

Obviously you don't want the meat unflavored, but you don't want to not taste the chimichurri. Will be braaing a flank steak and have no idea on the spice rub

Not sure whether my comment is a bit late. We made Blouwildebees (whatever you call the ugly thing in English) fillet with a chimichurri sauce on Sunday as a starter. 

We opted for lightly basting it with a homemade marinade (3/4 chutney and 1/4 worcester sauce, some chili flakes and black pepper), on a hot fire to a light medium (between medium rare and medium). The chimichurri has a very strong flavour so the odds of killing it with a marinade is unlikely, but too many clashing flavours might be an issue if you choose wrong.

Please give more info. I bought an extra gamon the other day and was wanting to do it on the weber on one of the days between xmas and new year. Am assuming indirect heat? I have a rotisserie attachment and was wondering if that would work. Let us know what you did, times, how you did it and so on please.

Please give more info. I bought an extra gamon the other day and was wanting to do it on the weber on one of the days between xmas and new year. Am assuming indirect heat? I have a rotisserie attachment and was wondering if that would work. Let us know what you did, times, how you did it and so on please.

Gamon done on the Weber is the best as far as I am concerned.  Have done the odd one, many turkeys, pork belly, etc.  It is great for roasts.

What I did was use the side little efforts filled with briquettes, almost to a heap.

Put in the wire tray, Put your prepared gammon into a aluminium tray and put it on the wire tray.  Coals must be burnt and white with a small flame.

Open the bottom and half open the top.

Drink a couple of bears and 3/4 hr later, turn and have another beer.  

At this stage you do not care how it tastes but watch it from now on and when golden brown and has clear juice, remove and put your glaze on if so desired.  I am not too partial to the glaze.

If a bit worried, roll the gammon up in tin foil for 3/4 hr, remove the foil and brown.

Same goes for turkey with double foil on the legs and wrapped in foil.

Dont worry about the little plastic thingy which pops out of the turkey breast, you need to cook longer than this with the foil removed.

Quite simple really?

Anything is better in a webber. I just thought maybe one day when I own a house I should have ne built into the kitchen.

Anything is better in a webber. I just thought maybe one day when I own a house I should have ne built into the kitchen.

Gas Weber?  Like they have overseas.........

I prefer chicken done in an oven. Don't really like that smokey Weber flavour. I have done a great leg of lamb in Weber though.

I prefer chicken done in an oven. Don't really like that smokey Weber flavour. I have done a great leg of lamb in Weber though.

Weber chicken is what I dig most! Man it’s tastey.

So it looks like I won't be braai'ing on Christmas day. The missus and I will be spending the day with family, and there's a gammon that's been ordered, along with a leg of lamb, curry and rice, and lasagne. So New Years day will be our next braai day.

a gas Weber? Isn't that just the same as a normal oven except it's outside.

Exactly, but it is a "Weber".  (For those who like the image thing.)

Could definitely not do it myself but I do have a full on gas braai and add chips all the time.  Easier, able to control the heat, no image, and I grew up on a farm - 2 tooth Hamels,  etc. so like my braai.

Can smoke fish and chicken in the "Weber" too, let alone pizza.

Edited by Sepia

So it looks like I won't be braai'ing on Christmas day. The missus and I will be spending the day with family, and there's a gammon that's been ordered, along with a leg of lamb, curry and rice, and lasagne. So New Years day will be our next braai day.

Could be a lot worse!

Big fire day New Year then.

Whats the consensus on spicing your meat ?

Before - at least an hour or more.

During - when you busy cremating said meat.

Or only after when eating ? 

As long as said spice does not contain salt, spice away whenever just not after cooking.