Etiquette when training

FirstV8

Wave if you wanna wave

Don't wave if you don't wanna wave

Wave back if you wanna wave back

Don't wave back if you don't wanna wave back.

Don't expect a wave - don't expect a wave back.

Throw in some gold grills, twerking booties, sportscar and we have a mumber 1 rap hit.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I last cycled 20 years ago and have recently started again . I know the community was smaller back then but being friendly to other cyclist on the road was what we did . When i come across cyclists coming in the opposite direction i always greet and raise my hand as a gesture . What i have found in the past 2 months is that very few  acknowledge this and blatantly ignore me . Am i just old school or are those cyclists just to stuck up to greet a fellow  bikey .  

ha ha ha ha..I know the feeling....

There are some strange people out there...some snobs out there too...

Some fool looked at my bike the other day, with a look of disrespect...(made him pay for that)...He tried to follow me down the single track and could not keep me in sight...(the sheepish wave afterward, was his acknowledgement of respect)...

Don't get angry or discouraged...make them pay...

I drive a Land Rover Discovery, and the Defender guys don't give me that 'wave'. Feeling very hurt now

You know the 'wave' is just to show your oily hands to confirm that you had also already broken down today... :D  :ph34r: 

Short version, don't be a d i c k!!

I make a point of greeting every cyclist I pass. If I get anything in return it's a bonus, but it's something I do without expecting anything in return. Unfortunately humanity is so stuck up with hating life that we forget the fun things. Just as I would greet random people on the street or start speaking to the guy at the bar waiting for his beer. This takes nothing from me, costs me nothing and does not shorten my life or lessen my life enjoyment, 70% of the time I'll get a friendly response, and to hell with the rest!

This is just weird, why would you have the urge to say hi to every other cyclist on the road, trail etc.  You do not wave at every motorist, or every shopper in the mall, or every pedestrian you meet on the pavement.

But if you feel you must do all of these, or some of them, do it without expecting something in return, that is the right thing to do, and you will be happier for it - but is still weird.

Speak for yourself.... I make a point of greeting each and every shopper in the mall. 

ha ha ha ha..I know the feeling....

There are some strange people out there...some snobs out there too...

Some fool looked at my bike the other day, with a look of disrespect...(made him pay for that)...He tried to follow me down the single track and could not keep me in sight...(the sheepish wave afterward, was his acknowledgement of respect)...

Don't get angry or discouraged...make them pay...

Now you are talking about waving while on a MTB..... different story.

I will NEVER "wave" at another cyclist while off road. I am too busy trying to not crash. You might get a verbal greeting, a quick "howzit" between all the $%#$% hier kom groot $#^#$#, and the FOKFOKFOKs as it gets rockier etc

The world is a different place than it was 20 years ago.

Some things are better and some most things are worse :-)

i hope you don't mind..I edited that

Speak for yourself.... I make a point of greeting each and every shopper in the mall. 

Me too - especially if she is pretty !!

runners on the other hand...go out of their way to greet other runners...regardless of race or class or ability......the only downside is that you have to actually run  :D

runners on the other hand...go out of their way to greet other runners...regardless of race or class or ability......the only downside is that you have to actually run  :D

some may say a brotherhood of fools and nutters

I am a roadie from September to April and a MTB from May to August, and the myth that roadies are snobs and rude is untrue!

MTB are the posers and seem to judge what you ride far more and will only greet if they approve................

I am a roadie from September to April and a MTB from May to August, and the myth that roadies are snobs and rude is untrue!

MTB are the posers and seem to judge what you ride far more and will only greet if they approve................

Absolutely. 100%

That fact that MTBer call Roadies posers yet you seldom hear Roadies ragging MTBers is the giveaway....

But again, I put this down to the fact that the golfers are on MTBs because doing an 80km MTB race is the equivalent of doing a corporate golf day now. And golfers argue more about which driver is the best than we do about 29ers vs 26ers, the also love secret Falke socks.

They have also changed their default scream of FOORRRREE to LEFFFTTT!

Absolutely. 100%

That fact that MTBer call Roadies posers yet you seldom hear Roadies ragging MTBers is the giveaway....

But again, I put this down to the fact that the golfers are on MTBs because doing an 80km MTB race is the equivalent of doing a corporate golf day now. And golfers argue more about which driver is the best than we do about 29ers vs 26ers, the also love secret Falke socks.

This is all because golfers have balls.

Absolutely. 100%

this explains why roadies never wave back when I say hello and I am on my mountain bike in non matching kit and odd socks.

this explains why roadies never wave back when I say hello and I am on my mountain bike in non matching kit and odd socks.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Archived