Etiquette when training

FirstV8

FirstV8

Welcome to hubland.

If you can greet while riding you are not riding hard enough.

So if non-greeters upset you wait till when you start slip-streaming them and be amazed.

I ride both road and off-road and am schizophrenic.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't do TryAthlons, am scared of sharks.

I dont go much deeper than waist deep on the best of days towards the end of a coastal holiday when i really feel brave.

Love the coast - don't go in the water.

This is just weird, why would you have the urge to say hi to every other cyclist on the road, trail etc.  You do not wave at every motorist, or every shopper in the mall, or every pedestrian you meet on the pavement.

But if you feel you must do all of these, or some of them, do it without expecting something in return, that is the right thing to do, and you will be happier for it - but is still weird.

Trying. Very. Hard. To. Suppress. Urge. To. Greet. You. Now.... :ph34r: 

"Hey Friend :clap: "

:oops:

I say howzit to everyone, and on the new greenbelt trails I greet every walker (if you thought roadies are a miserable bunch, dog walkers are even worse ;-))). I have even fallen off greeting someone on the trail (

).

On stage races I also like to thank all the marshals, and in my van, I wave at all other Defender drivers.

Not particularly concerned if they don't greet back, but most do.

Tom

Must be a Cape Town thing. Riding in the Cradle yesterday, plenty of riders greeting each other. On the other hand there were a few 100 riders in the Cradle, how many times is everybody expected to greet another rider?

Nah, the Cape Townians are friendly people. Probably the semigrators struggling with the acclimatisation. Can't blame 'em. This place is breathtaking. 

The quintessential guideline to greeting your fellow rider:

Zone 1: blow a kiss

Zone 2: peace sign

Zone 3: one forefinger off them bars

Zone 4: helmet nod

Zone 5: screw you

Zone 6: watch out Cav' I'm coming thru ????

Tatt raises a very good point.

Greet and thank any sort of marshalls even if it's the CycleLab ones and you are not part of CycleLab, it's the least you can do. If they have a vest and are protective you from cars, say thank you.

If you don't greet marshalls, you should sell your bike and take up golf. You will fit right in.

Greet and thank any sort of marshalls even if it's the CycleLab ones and you are not part of CycleLab, it's the least you can do. If they have a vest and are protective you from cars, say thank you.

If you don't greet marshalls, you should sell your bike and take up golf. You will fit right in.

Yup, greeting marshalls is always the way to go. Guys and girls making a few bucks standing there all day deserve the friendliest smiles and a big 'Thank you'. Are Cyclelab marshalls special?

I last cycled 20 years ago and have recently started again . I know the community was smaller back then but being friendly to other cyclist on the road was what we did . When i come across cyclists coming in the opposite direction i always greet and raise my hand as a gesture . What i have found in the past 2 months is that very few  acknowledge this and blatantly ignore me . Am i just old school or are those cyclists just to stuck up to greet a fellow  bikey .  

people still raise their hands - they just give you the finger 

are you a marshall? :ph34r:

You are all forgetting the modern scourge. Strava.

Strav@ssholes the entire lot of non greeters...

Yup, greeting marshalls is always the way to go. Guys and girls making a few bucks standing there all day deserve the friendliest smiles and a big 'Thank you'. Are Cyclelab marshalls special?

No, but they make use of marshals on their training rides from Fourways into the Cradle, their rides are on a very popular route, so lots of cyclists benefit from it, not just the Lab guys.

Was going up Suikerbossie (Blomtuin) this morning ... nice little climb, then about 80m where it tilts UP ....

I was sitting and keeping the cadence high ... happy in the knowledge that a few months back a I walked that section. (and keeping the heart rate down as I am going to work and dont want to build up a sweat)

Next moment a roadie comes by me as if I am parked ..... He was standing, and PUSHING those pedals, enjoying a nice early training ride.  And still he took a moment to greet me.

Seem you CAN push the time, use strava, be a roadie, and still have manners .... well maybe he was a mountain biker on a roadbike ...

Was going up Suikerbossie (Blomtuin) this morning ... nice little climb, then about 80m where it tilts UP ....

I was sitting and keeping the cadence high ... happy in the knowledge that a few months back a I walked that section. (and keeping the heart rate down as I am going to work and dont want to build up a sweat)

Next moment a roadie comes by me as if I am parked ..... He was standing, and PUSHING those pedals, enjoying a nice early training ride.  And still he took a moment to greet me.

Seem you CAN push the time, use strava, be a roadie, and still have manners .... well maybe he was a mountain biker on a roadbike ...

We always greet :P

Archived