Etiquette when training

FirstV8

I greet everyone, even if they don't greet back. It's just good manners.

When I say everyone, I exclude the "elite" athletes with their tri-bars as they are a cut above everyone else and may only be greeted by someone in compression socks while wearing some other branded tri gear.

I wonder what the appropriate greeting for a skinsuit is? :eek:

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The cycling community has absorbed all those guys who think "cycling is the new golf", so those guys who used to sandbag their handicaps and placed their balls in the rough, are now out on bicycles. Don't be offended because they are being knobdeads. They will be knobheads in their next hobby too.

I don't always greet (could be because of intervals, mid thought, your short socks, being angry at clouds etc), but if I'm greeted I will make an effort to greet back.

You make a really good point.  When Hub debates get heated, and you see polarisation between roadies and MTBers, or Triathletes vs the rest of humanity, MAYBE the real culprit is GOLF?  Those damn golfers - like the goddamn Dutch (Goldmember reference)

Must be a Cape Town thing. Riding in the Cradle yesterday, plenty of riders greeting each other. On the other hand there were a few 100 riders in the Cradle, how many times is everybody expected to greet another rider?

I have to add. We had our first Cradle outing a few weeks ago, and man the people were friendly. Just about everyone waved, it was pretty cool!

I have always had this urge to greet fellow hikers early morning going up/down Table mountain and as a result I try make a point of greeting fellow cyclists on the road mtb/roadies.

I went out riding around Chappies to Camps Bay area yesterday and after a while I am so pissed at the amount of people I greet and get a blank stare in return.

It takes nothing out of my time to greet a fellow road user, but perhaps a few of the guys around Camps Bay have an inflated sense of importance.

I have always had this urge to greet fellow hikers early morning going up/down Table mountain and as a result I try make a point of greeting fellow cyclists on the road mtb/roadies.

I went out riding around Chappies to Camps Bay area yesterday and after a while I am so pissed at the amount of people I greet and get a blank stare in return.

It takes nothing out of my time to greet a fellow road user, but perhaps a few of the guys around Camps Bay have an inflated sense of importance.

its the golfers - Patch is onto something

Just last week on a ride I was thinking we haven't had a "Why aren't fellow cyclists not greeting me?" thread on thehub in ages!

its the golfers - Patch is onto something

And here I was thinking that it's ok to use my golf socks for cycling :whistling: ...

I greet everyone, even if they don't greet back. It's just good manners.

When I say everyone, I exclude the "elite" athletes with their tri-bars as they are a cut above everyone else and may only be greeted by someone in compression socks while wearing some other branded tri gear.

Perhaps we need some Velomonati greeting rules that we can apply to these situations so we don't have to revisit these threads every few months:

1) Tri-bars not greeting? Try bars!

2) Short socks offending? Problems with clouds? Zanax! And be nice.

3) Don't project your own stuff onto other cyclists. Your chilled ride is my dopamine rush. Your greeting is my death breath. My mountain bike is your road thing-machine-tool. And be nice.

4) If you don't greet everyone including drivers, pedestrians, road signs, traffic lights... it's not 'good manners'. It's cult stuff. It's a fun cult, but the Kool-aid still has a bite. And be nice.

5) If I come past at pace and greet you, scaring you into a ditch, I was being nice. If you are riding three abreast forcing me into the traffic, I may just greet you louder.

6)... Add yours here...

I drive a Land Rover Discovery, and the Defender guys don't give me that 'wave'. Feeling very hurt now

Is that because they're in the undercarriage looking for an oil leak?

This is just weird, why would you have the urge to say hi to every other cyclist on the road, trail etc.  You do not wave at every motorist, or every shopper in the mall, or every pedestrian you meet on the pavement.

But if you feel you must do all of these, or some of them, do it without expecting something in return, that is the right thing to do, and you will be happier for it - but is still weird.

I drive a Land Rover Discovery, and the Defender guys don't give me that 'wave'. Feeling very hurt now

i drive my missus mad. Then she gives a wave of verbal abuse that I have to defend ????

But it doesn't hurt as I can go ride ????

you're doing it wrong

post-81857-0-24232300-1502088181.jpg

And here I was thinking that it's ok to use my golf socks for cycling :whistling: ...

terrible idea, just terrible. Next think people will be wearing Ernie Els Signature Series bibs in tartan

This is just weird, why would you have the urge to say hi to every other cyclist on the road, trail etc.  You do not wave at every motorist, or every shopper in the mall, or every pedestrian you meet on the pavement.

But if you feel you must do all of these, or some of them, do it without expecting something in return, that is the right thing to do, and you will be happier for it - but is still weird.

Maybe he's just a nice guy? Or just has good manners? Either way, why is that weird?

Archived