Etiquette when training

FirstV8

this explains why roadies never wave back when I say hello and I am on my mountain bike in non matching kit and odd socks.

When I am in your area, I wave at everything with a two wheels. in hopes that I get lucky and greet you. After all the cool things you have done for the Helderberg community, you of all people deserve a wave hello!!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now you are talking about waving while on a MTB..... different story.

I will NEVER "wave" at another cyclist while off road. I am too busy trying to not crash. You might get a verbal greeting, a quick "howzit" between all the $%#$% hier kom groot $#^#$#, and the FOKFOKFOKs as it gets rockier etc

Yup, that sounds about right.

I greet everyone, even if they don't greet back. It's just good manners.

When I say everyone, I exclude the "elite" athletes with their tri-bars as they are a cut above everyone else and may only be greeted by someone in compression socks while wearing some other branded tri gear.

Ha ha! I greet everyone, and once saw a guy way down on the tri bars coming the other way. No way is this guy going to respond, I thought, but I greeted anyway. Well, he sprang up off the bars and gave me a huge wave! Made my day.

Absolutely. 100%

That fact that MTBer call Roadies posers yet you seldom hear Roadies ragging MTBers is the giveaway....

But again, I put this down to the fact that the golfers are on MTBs because doing an 80km MTB race is the equivalent of doing a corporate golf day now. And golfers argue more about which driver is the best than we do about 29ers vs 26ers, the also love secret Falke socks.

They have also changed their default scream of FOORRRREE to LEFFFTTT!

yoh! shots fired on a monday - are you channeling Kim Jong Un this morning?

When I am in your area, I wave at everything with a two wheels. in hopes that I get lucky and greet you. After all the cool things you have done for the Helderberg community, you of all people deserve a wave hello!!

:blush: :blush:

EDIT: mmm no mention of Hubland moderation skills

I like to ring my bike bell when the girls wave at me

The equivalent of "hoot if you are horny" 

I last cycled 20 years ago and have recently started again . I know the community was smaller back then but being friendly to other cyclist on the road was what we did . When i come across cyclists coming in the opposite direction i always greet and raise my hand as a gesture . What i have found in the past 2 months is that very few acknowledge this and blatantly ignore me . Am i just old school or are those cyclists just to stuck up to greet a fellow bikey .

When you become fast you become a different person and don't find the need to greet anyone any more. That's why you have coffee afterwards, to cure the urge to be social

I do not greet try athletes. 

Well to be fair they are only on Tri bikes coz they don't have any friends anyway.

When I see someone on an E-Bike I yell CHEATER!

Although not many people wave on the sea point - hout Bay route I have to say that if you're stopped on the road fixing a puncture nearly everyone asks if you're ok

Although not many people wave on the sea point - hout Bay route I have to say that if you're stopped on the road fixing a puncture nearly everyone asks if you're ok

and by the time you reply "no" they are too far away to hear you....  :whistling:

:blush: :blush:

EDIT: mmm no mention of Hubland moderation skills

Everything in moderation but moderation, Slow. Moderate skills at best. :whistling:

The plural you used there might offend The Lanciples.

Rule 6: when you are cycling, always have a ball.

Better?

Archived