To TT or not to TT?

MarkW

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Need some advise please. 

I am looking at buying a TT bike soon. I have two choices so far. The Liv is great value for money, but I hate the pastel colours. So need to find a colour sceme I can live with. Anyone here or has a G/F or wife that rides a Liv TT? I am interested in things such as comfort and ability to customize a fit. Anyone can comment on the comfort and customization of their Canyon? Any other opinions? 

1. https://www.canyon.com/en-za/triathlon/speedmax/speedmax-wmn-cf-7-0.html
  2. https://www.liv-cycling.com/za/bikes-avow-advanced-2018

Also - I have never ridden a TT bike. Is it worth putting TT bars on my bike (I will get a fit) to start getting accustomed to the position while I wait for my TT? 

Need some advise please. 

I am looking at buying a TT bike soon. I have two choices so far. The Liv is great value for money, but I hate the pastel colours. So need to find a colour sceme I can live with. Anyone here or has a G/F or wife that rides a Liv TT? I am interested in things such as comfort and ability to customize a fit. Anyone can comment on the comfort and customization of their Canyon? Any other opinions? 

Also - I have never ridden a TT bike. Is it worth putting TT bars on my bike (I will get a fit) to start getting accustomed to the position while I wait for my TT? 

TT bars will get you the "feel"

More importantly you need to find the right saddle! The change in position doesn't take long to really generate an uncomfortably numb "nether region" .

start getting some time on test saddles like those from ISM etc to see if you can make the position work...

TT bars will get you the "feel"

More importantly you need to find the right saddle! The change in position doesn't take long to really generate an uncomfortably numb "nether region" .

start getting some time on test saddles like those from ISM etc to see if you can make the position work...

I already ride a ISM Adamo saddle on my Roadie - so lucky there at least. 

I live a block away from a Giant store an bought a MTB there. I am amazed at their good service and generally good prices considering components. Agree on the colors of the Liv models though. Also not convinced that women need a model specific bicycle, think that’s more marketing.

As to your saddle, the pressure points are different on a TT bike. I am also not a believer in bastardizing a road bike with tri bars, rather get a tri bike.

Second hand one can get good deals, look at Cervelo P2 an P3. I know they had the P2 on special before I left ZA.

Always lekker to be bokemshopiing enjoy.

I live a block away from a Giant store an bought a MTB there. I am amazed at their good service and generally good prices considering components. Agree on the colors of the Liv models though. Also not convinced that women need a model specific bicycle, think that’s more marketing.

As to your saddle, the pressure points are different on a TT bike. I am also not a believer in bastardizing a road bike with tri bars, rather get a tri bike.

Second hand one can get good deals, look at Cervelo P2 an P3. I know they had the P2 on special before I left ZA.

Always lekker to be bokemshopiing enjoy.

These days that's a tough call to make...  I'd much rather have one good bike, complete with carbon wheels, power meter etc. than to have an okay road bike and an okay tri-bike...

A good bike (road or TT) with all the bells and whistles that you'd want for an IM event is going to set you back R50k minimum.  To have to spend that money twice just to own a bike that has an aero advantage of a few minutes at best over 100km's is pretty rough spending by anyone's standards.

So... this thread has explored various aspects of whether or not to go for a TT specific bike for non-drafting triathlons, and if not, then what. My take on the general consensus (of course, your view may differ) is:

-that if you have the resources, then a TT bike is nice to have and will gain measurable time over a road bike;

-the addition of tri-bars (possibly also requiring a stem length change), a seatpost that allows you to move the seat forward (effectively steepening the seat-tube angle) and a TT saddle, all set up with a good fitting, on a road bike will get much of the time gains & bike-to-run advantages of a TT specific bike;

-it is considered more effective to adapt an aero road bike for TT than to adapt a TT bike for draft-legal triathlons.

Anyway, it seems that EmJayZA is considering taking the plunge and what I think rudi-h & the general consensus is saying is that she really needs to be in a position to buy a TT bike without selling her road bike. Otherwise it’d be better to adapt what she has.

Hope this helps, EmJayZA.

Need some advise please. 

I can't remember where it was from but I've heard Liv's are good comfortable bikes. A step up from the more mass production-line Giants.

But put anything against a Canyon and I'd have a tough time choosing the former..

I'd keep your road bike set up as a road bike. And just take the plunge on the new TT position when you get one. The first few rides will be scary but it doesn't take long to get used to it.

These days that's a tough call to make...  I'd much rather have one good bike, complete with carbon wheels, power meter etc. than to have an okay road bike and an okay tri-bike...

A good bike (road or TT) with all the bells and whistles that you'd want for an IM event is going to set you back R50k minimum.  To have to spend that money twice just to own a bike that has an aero advantage of a few minutes at best over 100km's is pretty rough spending by anyone's standards.

The aero advantage only really comes into effect if you average over 34kph. Most weekend tri athletes probably average around 30kph on an IM course, so the advantage is better spent training for the run and not spending money on marginal gains that will never actually kick in.

I agree with the sentiment, I have never owned a tri specific bike an chances are I never will. I also do not put tri bars on my road bike for any distance triathlon. My bike is also a cheapie by the way.

Having said that, if someone is happy to spend the coin then let them. A tri bike has its place and time and is a tool for a specific job. IMHO if one can afford a TT bike then it’s a better bet than bastardizing a road bike, I stand by that statement.

The aero advantage only really comes into effect if you average over 34kph. Most weekend tri athletes probably average around 30kph on an IM course, so the advantage is better spent training for the run and not spending money on marginal gains that will never actually kick in.

There are other advantages to a Tri bike. Also it will be more aerodynamic at all speeds so there are gains all along the continuum. There are certain courses where I would not use a TT bike such as ultra midlands or the old IM PE course. Courses with long undulating roads I reckon they will give you gains, the new PE course for sure.

TT bike also allows you to run better as different muscle groups do more work.

I ain’t no expert on bikes. But TT bikes do offer advantages worth exploring,

I am looking at a TT bike for quite a number of different reasons:

https://gearwestbike.com/articles/tri-bike-or-road-bike-pg54.htm

Triathlon Bikes

A triathlon bike has a steeper seat tube angle - that is - the seat tube is closer to vertical than a road bike's. This steeper geometry places the rider's hips over the crankset which engages their quadriceps more for increased power. Additionally, this distribution of muscle use makes the transition to the run much easier. With the rider's torso also in more forward position, their upper body weight becomes supported by their skeletal rather than muscular system, staving off fatigue. Despite a rather aggressive looking position, the rider is comfortable and aerodynamic, increasing their efficiency.

Advantages of a Tri Bike
  • Transfers more power from rider to bike
  • More aerodynamic bike itself and puts rider in more aerodynamically efficient position
  • Almost always the fastest bike option
  • Allows for an easier run after transitioning off the bike

There are other advantages to a Tri bike. Also it will be more aerodynamic at all speeds so there are gains all along the continuum. There are certain courses where I would not use a TT bike such as ultra midlands or the old IM PE course. Courses with long undulating roads I reckon they will give you gains, the new PE course for sure.

TT bike also allows you to run better as different muscle groups do more work.

I ain’t no expert on bikes. But TT bikes do offer advantages worth exploring,

So I do agree with you. TT bikes also allow you to set up way further forward that a traditional road bike. The handling on the tri bars is better on a designated TT bike and it's way easier to set up properly.

I have done IM on bikes ranging from an all carbon TT machine to a 1976 steel peugeot single speed with bull horn bars.

For an average athlete looking to go between 11 and 17 hours the bike makes WAY less difference than getting bakgat strong for the run. A 6:30 bike plus 4 Hour run still gives you a comfy sub 12 hour IM, while a 6 hour bike and 5 hour marathon makes it less likely.

Shifting an hour off your run time is way easier and cheaper than shifting 30 min off your bike

Archived