[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Pure Savage

My flight is booked, but not my accommodation. To be honest, I really don’t know whether to book my hotel or not.

Book it. The glass is (still) half full  :)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My flight is booked, but not my accommodation. To be honest, I really don’t know whether to book my hotel or not.

Aren't you gonna do it anymore?

Cape Town - The Sunshine Tour has announced that the Cape Town Open will move from its usual home, the Royal Cape Golf Club, to King David Mowbray Golf Club.

https://www.sport24.co.za/Golf/SunshineTour/cape-town-open-moved-due-to-cape-drought-20180124

so argus not

This was my first thought as well....

"Quite why the Sunshine Tour believe the 11km distance between the two courses would make a difference, isn't clear from the press release."

"Quite why the Sunshine Tour believe the 11km distance between the two courses would make a difference, isn't clear from the press release."

:wacko: :huh:

we joked about this morning,

1. cancelled(shortened) because of fire

2. cancelled because of wind

3. cancel because of water

giphy.gif

My logic is that the irrigation water supply at Rondebosch/Mowbray is a lot better, straight out of the Black River and/or recycled water from the nearby Athlone sewerage treatment plant. Note that NO golf course in Cape Town uses potable water for irrigation. My guess is that the condition of the course will be better there than Royal Cape.

I delivered Fertilizer at Royal Cape Gholf Club last year and had a chat with the grounds keeper gentleman. They collect water from the M5's runoff. This is then pumped into their storage and irrigation systems.

On a different topic all together - Any idea when the start group seeding will be released?

For all the nay-sayers and negative experts, please go and watch the Cape Town Cycle Tour's video they uploaded today. Gives good insight into the fact that (SHOCKER :o ) they are actually addressing the issues we have been bringing up over and over again.

For all the nay-sayers and negative experts, please go and watch the Cape Town Cycle Tour's video they uploaded today. Gives good insight into the fact that (SHOCKER :o ) they are actually addressing the issues we have been bringing up over and over again.

post link

Two links worth reading/watching:

2018 Cape Town Cycle Tour WILL take place

This year's event will be entirely off the municipal water grid. 
Desalinated/purified grey water will be provided to cyclists at the start... Don't fill your bottles at home. More on this to come in next week's Q&A.

--
Some notes from Dave's video…

Figures
  • More than 50% of participants come from Cape Town (theoretically zero effect)
  • Around 15,000 from outside of CT 
  • 30,000-32,000 of 35,000 entries actually start the race
  • Average stay is 2.3 days

Wind
  • No significant set of data that says the wind blows any more or any less at the CTCT time of year
  • Wind will blow 10km/h less at the new Grand Parade start than at the Civic Centre (importantly, there's no tunnelling effect)

Civil unrest
  • Affects all areas of society, target because its a large event
  • Part of the strategy is to engage with local communities + inclusion 
  • Work being done via Rotary in Masiphumelele - working hard to link this work back to CTCT
  • Moving water point from Sun Valley (has to move cause of roadworks) to Masiphumelele – ownership of that water point to the community (funds to be used for high school Matric dance) 
  • There are six different alternate route options, if needed

Seeding
  • Minor changes are being made to the algorithm (he did not go into any details) - will be consideration given to the fact that there was a cancellation last year

Road surface on Chappies

• "Not ideal" but not unrideable; it is safe to ride on
  • "Would it be the first choice for us as cyclists? No it wouldn't."
  • Surface has got a lot better since the first laying of the tar
  • In future years when the road has to be redone, it will get a better surface

[edit to update with notes from video]
Edited by hilton_

It's amazing how many hubbers are happy to believe that the organisers are just winging it and pulling off annual events with 30k participants by pure luck & coincidence.

The part I appreciated was how they are engaging with local communities to avoid the civil unrest disruptions we had last year. Certainly nobody can 100% guarantee that nothing will happen but it's good to know the organisers are pro-active and not just leaving it to chance as many hubbers believe.