World, where is SA??

GreenGoblin

We are not a cycling nation, how many dutch rugby teams do you see? Belgian rugby teams?

[emoji115]

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are not a cycling nation, how many dutch rugby teams do you see? Belgian rugby teams?

But could we be? Given the fact Chris Froome learnt his trade here.

When we came out of isolation soon after, Willie Engelbrecht won commonwealth games medal, David George and James Perry both won U23 world TT championship medals and more recently Louis Meintjies has shown his class on the world stage! What about the likes of the late Burry Stander and Gregg Minnaar. Not too mention all the Vets who have done well in world championship event in the past few years. I have even failed to mention Daryl Impey, Nolan Hoffman, Robert Hunter and Bernard Esterhuizen till now.

I would say we not doing to badly as a cycle nation. But more RSA people will remember the name of the late Ertjies Bezuidenhout and ALAN van Heerden then some off the more recent RSA stars of cycling.

Then I suppose it's worth mentioning the 2 largest times cycle events in the world are hold in RSA. I sure government / SARS collects quite a bit of revenue from the overall cycle industry in RSA!

She did, but think the point that is trying to be made is the lack of numbers we have sent.

Could be down to how many we are actually allowed to send, but I'm guessing the self-funding policy is probably the reason this problem exists.

Well do you expect the ANC Government to pay for them to go? The ANC also needs to eat you know!

I think it's ok.. If we sent a team of 6 or a team of 16, besides Ashleigh, is anyone going to not just be hanging on the back?

Why should my tax money pay for cyclists to go to an event they are going to suck at?

I hae the same feeling about the Olympics as well... I am also a sour old goat who thinks ALL world sports games are a complete waste of money and resource. 

Human need to compete and see who is better at everything is ridiculous.. Why can't we rather spend the billions on keeping the planet, it's people and it's wildlife better preserved.

The fact that Tommy D won the ITT by 57 seconds means less than zero to 99% of the world. Brazil have a larger disparity than SA in terms of wealth, education and living conditions yet have gazillions to spend on a Soccer world cup and and Olympics?! Please..

We need to have A drink sometime  :thumbup:

National Team for the 2017 UCI Road World Championships (NOR)

Elite Men:

Daryl Impey

Reinardt Janse van Rensburg

Jaco Venter

Willie Smit

U23:

Stefan de Bod

Nicholas Dlamini

Morne van Niekerk

Elite Women:

Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio

Heidi Dalton

Chane Jonker

Junior Men:

Devin Shortt

Ryan Terry

Jason Oosthuizen

Junior Women:

Ashleigh Parsons

Tiffany Keep

Elne Owen

Nadia van Niekerk

Heidi Dalton, Jaco Venter, Nicholas Dlamini, Stefan de Bod and Tiffany Keep have withdrawn from the team due to personal reasons.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Heidi Dalton, Jaco Venter, Nicholas Dlamini, Stefan de Bod and Tiffany Keep have withdrawn from the team due to personal reasons.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Code for.. I just can't afford it.

Code for.. I just can't afford it.

For whatever reason, I find that a pity. Morne van Niekerk U23, did not make it either.

Maybe getting RSA mentioned by the international commentator - like was evident today and was not yesterday in he U23 race has ZERO value. But again for whatever reason I believe it does have value for the country.

Rugby is not the be all and end of of sport in SA and rugby does not even have an annual world championship. (Thankfully)

While it might be the "national sport" along with soccer, how much financial support do the national rugby and soccer teams get from the state I wonder.....

Forget getting support from the state, fringe sports like cycling will never get it right.

Cycling might not be a national sport but it is a relatively big sport in SA if you consider the number of events and participants taking part every year.

There are other ways to raise funds, if some individual riders can raise their own funds then the national and regional cycling bodies should be able to the same.

A simple way imo would be a small "Worlds" levy on every race entry, let's say 1 Rond

Just think how much that would raise in one year

No doubt, even in our relatively expensive sport of cycling where people will spend ridiculous amounts on bicycles, cycling kit, supplements.... there will be nay sayers who will say WTF should we subsidize these elites...

Question. Do other countries pay for their national riders to travel/compete?

I'm 70% sure Denmark pays for their riders , don't know about other countries tho ...although I get the idea America would

It probably varies from country to country .. but even if CSA didn't have the cash (in this case after wasting it on their good selves and hotch-potch nonsense schemes such as that frigging "App')  - they could fund raise to get our athletes competing with the best in the world, but instead they shrug their shoulders and say "we cant help you"  - FAIL!

Oz even has a base / house in Italy (?) to help their athletes get established there, as does the USA.

A certain Mr Bradley is responsible for getting sponsors for cycling SA. I think in the past 4 years he has not landed 1:-(

How do we find out?

Well I can't see a Saffa delegate missing out on the UCI vote the other day.. so at least one would've been there..[emoji6]

Archived