World, where is SA??

rsgreen

Hey guys,

Decided to take a look at the South African performances at this years worlds and forget about the results, I was so disappointed to see the lack of South Africans even entered into the different disciplines. 

Here is what I found for the 7 races already completed: 

Elite Mens TT: 

1 Entrant: Willie Smit, (self supported rider)

Elite Womans TT: 

0 entrants :(

U23 Mens TT: 

U23 Mens Road Race: 

Junior Mens TT:

1 entrant: Jason Oosthuizen 

Junior Womans TT: 

Junior Womans Road Race: 

2 entrants: Elna Owen & Ashleigh Parsons (DNF)

To sum it up across the 7 races completed at Worlds thus far South Africa only had 4 participants in total... What was also apparent is that I saw multiple entrants in each category from other African countries such as Algeria, Eritrea, Morocco Rwanda, Uganda etc...

What are we doing wrong in SA cycling? is it funding, sponsorship of riders? would love to hear everyones thoughts on this.....

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't Ashleigh Pasio TT to 7th?

She did, but think the point that is trying to be made is the lack of numbers we have sent.

Could be down to how many we are actually allowed to send, but I'm guessing the self-funding policy is probably the reason this problem exists. 

3 saffas in the junior men's RR.. switch on the TV and support those who are there.

CSA shortcomings and disastrous management is well documented and discussed on this forum..

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I think it's ok.. If we sent a team of 6 or a team of 16, besides Ashleigh, is anyone going to not just be hanging on the back?

Why should my tax money pay for cyclists to go to an event they are going to suck at?

I hae the same feeling about the Olympics as well... I am also a sour old goat who thinks ALL world sports games are a complete waste of money and resource. 

Human need to compete and see who is better at everything is ridiculous.. Why can't we rather spend the billions on keeping the planet, it's people and it's wildlife better preserved.

The fact that Tommy D won the ITT by 57 seconds means less than zero to 99% of the world. Brazil have a larger disparity than SA in terms of wealth, education and living conditions yet have gazillions to spend on a Soccer world cup and and Olympics?! Please..

Hey guys,

Decided to take a look at the South African performances at this years worlds and forget about the results, I was so disappointed to see the lack of South Africans even entered into the different disciplines. 

Here is what I found for the 7 races already completed: 

Elite Mens TT: 

1 Entrant: Willie Smit, (self supported rider)

Elite Womans TT: 

U23 Mens TT: 

U23 Mens Road Race: 

Junior Mens TT:

1 entrant: Jason Oosthuizen 

Junior Womans TT: 

Junior Womans Road Race: 

2 entrants: Elna Owen & Ashleigh Parsons (DNF)

To sum it up across the 7 races completed at Worlds thus far South Africa only had 4 participants in total... What was also apparent is that I saw multiple entrants in each category from other African countries such as Algeria, Eritrea, Morocco Rwanda, Uganda etc...

What are we doing wrong in SA cycling? is it funding, sponsorship of riders? would love to hear everyones thoughts on this.....

Valid questions

Looked through the entrants list and it is disappointing

SSDD

Rather embarrassing

Been discussed plenty of times and we still on a road to nowhere

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AWtCittJyr0

Valid questions

Looked through the entrants list and it is disappointing

SSDD

Rather embarrassing

Been discussed plenty of times and we still on a road to nowhere

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AWtCittJyr0

I doubt whether David Byrne had cycling in mind when he wrote that classic but he is quite an enthusiastic cyclist and even wrote a book on the subject   :)

Are those numbers the slots allocated?

Even so, lets face it the CSA has failed miserably. Developing / nurturing talent might be taking place on a local level but its isolated and little or no support for the state or national bodies, who are other missions,

MTB athletes had to fund their own  way to the Worlds in Cairns

Symbolic of the state of the nation: dysfunctional, inept & often corrupt. 

I think it's ok.. If we sent a team of 6 or a team of 16, besides Ashleigh, is anyone going to not just be hanging on the back?

Why should my tax money pay for cyclists to go to an event they are going to suck at?

I hae the same feeling about the Olympics as well... I am also a sour old goat who thinks ALL world sports games are a complete waste of money and resource.

Human need to compete and see who is better at everything is ridiculous.. Why can't we rather spend the billions on keeping the planet, it's people and it's wildlife better preserved.

The fact that Tommy D won the ITT by 57 seconds means less than zero to 99% of the world. Brazil have a larger disparity than SA in terms of wealth, education and living conditions yet have gazillions to spend on a Soccer world cup and and Olympics?! Please..

Agreed to disagree.

But then I did use some of my hard earned air miles to send a cyclist to world's to race in the race this morning - he was still in the front group with a lap and a half to go. Not everything went his way as he could not get off the big blade - he however is very happy with his experiences and is motivated to continue forward and upwards.

With your argument Louis Meintjies may never had medals at world's a few years back. Who know if he was not afforded these opportunities if he would have continued with the sport and now successfully to have finished 2 years in a row in 8th spot at the TDF.

I for 1 would prefer my hard earned tax money to be used on funding sport instead of 20 billion for Zuma to go to Dubai! As for the rider I helped with his trip on leaving we did not know how he would return to RSA - in the past hour Douglas Ryder / Dimension Data has agreed to allow him on the team bus (a lift) back to Holland. KLM off my miles will do the rest. If you think these cyclist are going just to have a holiday - most of the time they arnt! The truth be told how these guy even do as well as they do mentally I don't know. Less than a week before he was racing he still did not know if he was going as he did not have budget for accommodation. I can assure you been in an organized set up allows you to focus more on the racing - thus allowing better result.

I do drive an Nissan Leaf electric car, charged off solar panels at my house - I do agreed on your sentiment on been green.

post-719-0-70195700-1506175589_thumb.jpg

Agreed to disagree.

But then I did use some of my hard earned air miles to send a cyclist to world's to race in the race...

There.. Do it privately.

I disagree even more strongly with Zuma stealing my money, but everyone should stop dumping more and more mundane stuff into the hat and saying 'why doesn't the government fund this?'

I don't discourage anyone from going to achieve their dreams. BUT why the hell should any government give 2 hoots about sport. Privately funded.. There is a thing.

Much like the whole of SA private sector screaming at the government to 'fix the country' but in reality if we all just did something together instead of wait for Zuma/ANC to change we could achieve amazing things.

Sport and the cost of competition, competition setup and the NEED to be the best at whatever it is absolutely flaws me. I enjoyed myself today. I went for a 20km run up the mountain then took my Monstercross SS up to the mast and dodgily snailed down some single track in tokai back home. I don't need to know whether Holland has 27 guys who can do that faster than me. I enjoyed it. 

Bear in mind I have been part of the OC for 2 x Rugby World cups, 2 x Olympic games, 2 x commonwealth games, winter olympics and a host more... I know how much money gets pocketed and how much it costs to put this stuff on vs how much is paid. The imballances make Zuma look like a child stealing the change jar

I don't discourage anyone from going to achieve their dreams. BUT why the hell should any government give 2 hoots about sport. Privately funded.. There is a thing.

It's all well and good to say private funding - but correctly or incorrectly so in sport (cycling included), sports people put on your National colors and not your private sponsors on at world championship event. This system maybe right or wrong. Nelson Mandela appreciated how sport could be used to unify a nation - so there are certainly arguments on both side.

Sport is quite a large contributor to the tax revenue system - even cycling - think off all the VAT collected off bicycle sale, not to mention the 15% import tariffs on complete bicycles etc. Having champion from a nation in sport often means more people want to take part in that sport. Holland is doing very well in the cycling industry since Tommy D (your coding) came onto the scene - thus more tax is now been collected from cycling in Holland - so there is even possible a business case to re-invest into sport from infrastructure to individuals by governments!

Here to illastrate my point is part of a what app conversation I had with a bike shop owner in Holland on wed. His shop does 5 million euro turn over per annum and Vat is 19% to 21% in Holland cannot remember.

post-719-0-35730300-1506180984_thumb.png

Has tax money ever paid for our cyclists to compete at world's?

When CSA actually made a contribution for riders to participate, I was under the impression it was paid from their normal revenue stream, which is basically the license fees that we pay and some advertising revenue.

Archived