World, where is SA??

GreenGoblin

This is exactly the reason why I told my son that being a professional cyclist in SA is a dead end street. Rather study hard, have a good job so that you can buy all the 2 wheel toys that you can afford, and spend your money doing lots of stage races and enjoying it.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is exactly the reason why I told my son that being a professional cyclist in SA is a dead end street. Rather study hard, have a good job so that you can buy all the 2 wheel toys that you can afford, and spend your money doing lots of stage races and enjoying it.

Or... Spend lots of money riding super amazing places with rad people where the fun side of riding bikes is more important than the race side.

That way he won't need a power meter, be obsessed with stats and zone 2 and post pictures of himself staring at his stem saying 'welcome to the sufferfest... 22 x 10 minute max.. pain cave rararara' but will have his mates post pictures of him clearing doubles and smiling and being radical.

(again, just my 2c... racing bikes is actually lame. Riding bikes is rad)

Or... Spend lots of money riding super amazing places with rad people where the fun side of riding bikes is more important than the race side.

That way he won't need a power meter, be obsessed with stats and zone 2 and post pictures of himself staring at his stem saying 'welcome to the sufferfest... 22 x 10 minute max.. pain cave rararara' but will have his mates post pictures of him clearing doubles and smiling and being radical.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A billion times over !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/2017/09/20/uci-presidential-election-q-running-does-voting-work-going-win/

How does the voting work?

There are 45 delegates distributed among continental confederations. Europe has 15 delegates, Africa 9, America 9 and so on…

As there are more national federations than there are delegate spots, not every country will be represented. Britain, for instance, does not have a voting delegate this time around. Each voting delegate has one vote. Majority wins.

Africa 9 delegates 20%

America 9 delegates 20%

Asia 9 delegates 20%

Europe 15 delegates 33.3%

Oceania 3 delegates 6.7%

Total 45 delegates 100%    

African voting delegates, with Dave LAPPARTIENT spreading the love, pre-election:

http://www.cac-africa.com/images/gallery/90.jpg

I can't seem to find the names of the 9 voting delegates from the CAC

Although their is one saffer on the managemenf committee

http://cac-africa.com/page/view.php?pid=1

President  Dr. Mohamed Wagih AZZAM  (Egypt)    Africa Representative at UCI Management Committee  Mr.Mohammed BELMAHI  ( Morocco )   Vice-president  Mr. Julius N. MWANGI  (Kenya)   Secretary General Mr. Yao ALLAH-KOUAMÉ  (Côte D’Ivoire)  
Treasurer  Mr. Danilo CORREIA (Mozambique)   Members  Mr. William Newman  (South Africa)  http://cac-africa.com/images/upload/56cd9046a8b8a.jpg Mr. Aimable Bayingana (Rwanda)     Mr. AbdelKhaled Khaledoun  (Morocco)     Mr. Michel THIOUB Senegal   Mr. Abderrahmane ETHMANE Mauritania  

Mr. Bashir MOHAMMED Nigeria   Mrs. Aminata MARA Guinea

Smells like the farcical FIFA to me

But then how will we know who is the best???????

Sent from my SM-J111F using Tapatalk

But then how will we know who is the best???

Sent from my SM-J111F using Tapatalk

Some people don't like to know who is best and want all people world over to be just the same - kind of like communism. You can't change communist way of thinking and you won't change capitalist way of thinking. Which is right and which is wrong is up for debate!

I think it's ok.. If we sent a team of 6 or a team of 16, besides Ashleigh, is anyone going to not just be hanging on the back?

Why should my tax money pay for cyclists to go to an event they are going to suck at?

I hae the same feeling about the Olympics as well... I am also a sour old goat who thinks ALL world sports games are a complete waste of money and resource. 

Human need to compete and see who is better at everything is ridiculous.. Why can't we rather spend the billions on keeping the planet, it's people and it's wildlife better preserved.

The fact that Tommy D won the ITT by 57 seconds means less than zero to 99% of the world. Brazil have a larger disparity than SA in terms of wealth, education and living conditions yet have gazillions to spend on a Soccer world cup and and Olympics?! Please..

Dude... Taking 16 athletes to gain international exposure isn't going to make SA poor and the hope and pride that professional sports brings to countries and communities have priceless value...  I for one would love to see some of our own compete on the world stage and I'd much rather have a few cents of my tax money spent on talented young cyclists that can inspire the youth than some minister buying yet another special edition armoured SUV.  You can argue that they won't win, but what about the top talents that we've had so far that did win...Greg Minnaar, Bury Stander, Sifiso Nhlapo?

If every cent should go to saving the planet and fighting poverty we should all sell 80% of the stuff we own, offer out employers to halve our salaries, we should pack our bags and move closer to work, put a stop to the annual "vakansie by die see", because let's be honest, most of us on here (meaning that we're literate with an internet connection) are spending much more natural resources and money than anyone needs to survive.

I enjoyed watching Tom smoke the rest of the guys on the ITT, brought more entertainment value to me personally than any soccer matches, F1 races or many other things that are much more costly and wasteful by any measure.

Dude... Taking 16 athletes to gain international exposure isn't going to make SA poor and the hope and pride that professional sports brings to countries and communities have priceless value...  I for one would love to see some of our own compete on the world stage and I'd much rather have a few cents of my tax money spent on talented young cyclists that can inspire the youth than some minister buying yet another special edition armoured SUV.  You can argue that they won't win, but what about the top talents that we've had so far that did win...Greg Minnaar, Bury Stander, Sifiso Nhlapo?

If every cent should go to saving the planet and fighting poverty we should all sell 80% of the stuff we own, offer out employers to halve our salaries, we should pack our bags and move closer to work, put a stop to the annual "vakansie by die see", because let's be honest, most of us on here (meaning that we're literate with an internet connection) are spending much more natural resources and money than anyone needs to survive.

I enjoyed watching Tom smoke the rest of the guys on the ITT, brought more entertainment value to me personally than any soccer matches, F1 races or many other things that are much more costly and wasteful by any measure.

I also enjoyed it..

I am not talking about removing competitive cycling from the calendar. A lot of it is privately funded teams, in privately funded races.

My issue is with a country having to pay for sportsmen, the 7000 officials and the countless backhands and fund mismanagement that goes into something like this.

Knowing 'who is the best' is one thing, but doing it on the backs of the likes of India, Brazil etc is just a sure fire way for the top dawg officials to make more money under the table.

Brazil are amazing football players, but they won the WC because there was tax free money to be made. The same palms were greased for the Olympics.

We are sold a competitive spirit but in the end are blinded by the spectacle and not who has lost out/gained to create it.

World games are the devil in suits.

But I won't convince you. I enjoyed watching World Champs. I enjoy watching the boys sports and giving it 110%, watching the boys take positives from being rubbish just as long as they sports hard etc... But it isn't necessary.

We WASTE so much money.. Sports and entertainment being a chief destroyer. Soccer, rugby, cricket, cycling..... all the same. Wasteful and unfortunately no one sees it because they are all still watching Sagan the champ fling his 3 fingers up. (Of which I think is AMAZING and would totally let him touch me inappropriately). 

I agree with this 1000%.There are far too many youngsters out there,After doing well in their local PPA race or even at nationals now recon they have it to be in the pro peloton.Im sorry but IMO cycling as a career is a dead end street.Blinded by the "Frooms,Contador" etc salary they all think they are now going to make it big in cycling.What makes things worse they continually get told to follow their dream and no one ever has the balls to tell them,sorry you just not good enough.

Nothing gets said about the years and years of sacrifice financially and emotionally ( just follow Willie Smit blog)before you even maybe land a contract.We can throw out many SA names but the amount of cyclists that have made a career out of cycling,and I mean proper career into their 30's 40's or 50's can't even be counted on 1 hand.

Most of these youngsters don't have a plan B even.

As a parents I would think very very hard about pushing my child in a direction where there is only a 2% chance of success but a huge possibility of leaving them emotionally shattered once they fail.

I agree with this 1000%.There are far too many youngsters out there,After doing well in their local PPA race or even at nationals now recon they have it to be in the pro peloton.Im sorry but IMO cycling as a career is a dead end street.Blinded by the "Frooms,Contador" etc salary they all think they are now going to make it big in cycling.What makes things worse they continually get told to follow their dream and no one ever has the balls to tell them,sorry you just not good enough.

Nothing gets said about the years and years of sacrifice financially and emotionally ( just follow Willie Smit blog)before you even maybe land a contract.We can throw out many SA names but the amount of cyclists that have made a career out of cycling,and I mean proper career into their 30's 40's or 50's can't even be counted on 1 hand.

Most of these youngsters don't have a plan B even.

As a parents I would think very very hard about pushing my child in a direction where there is only a 2% chance of success but a huge possibility of leaving them emotionally shattered once they fail.

And look at the unemployment in RSA (Africa) - does not matter if you have a good education University degree - you may still not find a job but may have a student loan to pay. You only young once - may as well try something you like. By "learning" a sport, trying to make it to the top 1% in the world - you learn to work hard along with the challenges which a sport person faces. Translate that into business - well good sports people often become good businessmen!

By no means I am saying drop out of school or not trying at sport while doing post schooling studies - Willie Smit I think has done his law degree while cycling.

Agreed to disagree.

But then I did use some of my hard earned air miles to send a cyclist to world's to race in the race this morning - he was still in the front group with a lap and a half to go. Not everything went his way as he could not get off the big blade - he however is very happy with his experiences and is motivated to continue forward and upwards.

With your argument Louis Meintjies may never had medals at world's a few years back. Who know if he was not afforded these opportunities if he would have continued with the sport and now successfully to have finished 2 years in a row in 8th spot at the TDF.

I for 1 would prefer my hard earned tax money to be used on funding sport instead of 20 billion for Zuma to go to Dubai! As for the rider I helped with his trip on leaving we did not know how he would return to RSA - in the past hour Douglas Ryder / Dimension Data has agreed to allow him on the team bus (a lift) back to Holland. KLM off my miles will do the rest. If you think these cyclist are going just to have a holiday - most of the time they arnt! The truth be told how these guy even do as well as they do mentally I don't know. Less than a week before he was racing he still did not know if he was going as he did not have budget for accommodation. I can assure you been in an organized set up allows you to focus more on the racing - thus allowing better result.

I do drive an Nissan Leaf electric car, charged off solar panels at my house - I do agreed on your sentiment on been green.

I, I, I, my, my, my Peter. Its not about you bud. 

We are not a cycling nation, how many dutch rugby teams do you see? Belgian rugby teams?

Doesnt mean CSA should stuff it up though.

Can bet you the Belgian Rugby Union out performs our circus.

Archived